Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2011, 07:08 PM

4,559 posts, read 4,100,369 times

Advertisements

School superintendent to Governor: Please make my school a prison | Dangerously Irrelevant | Big Think
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2011, 09:31 PM

9,412 posts, read 11,159,448 times
Oh boy. Superintendent Whiner. Or Superintendent Semi-Literate?
We also spend the most money per prisoner annually than any other state in the union.
This guy is a grammatical disaster. No wonder he's the boss, he can't teach and he can't cook.

Old 05-25-2011, 04:02 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
And we as a society claim to value children and education? It is lunacy that prisoners have any "rights" and students suffer....

Old 05-25-2011, 04:09 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,603,086 times
Quote:
And we as a society claim to value children and education? It is lunacy that prisoners have any "rights" and students suffer....
I'm not sure how reducing funding to schools makes children "suffer." Have you ever seen children TRULY suffer? Like, you know... extreme poverty and starvation? I don't think "suffer" is an appropriate word to use when discussing how budget cuts affect schools. How about we lose the over-dramatic political speak and have real discussions about the budget.

Old 05-25-2011, 05:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I'm not sure how reducing funding to schools makes children "suffer." Have you ever seen children TRULY suffer? Like, you know... extreme poverty and starvation? I don't think "suffer" is an appropriate word to use when discussing how budget cuts affect schools. How about we lose the over-dramatic political speak and have real discussions about the budget.

YES I have...physically and mentally. May not be direct relationship to budget cuts, but when they do not have access to counseling, food and health care like prisoners have, they indeed SUFFER...

Have you seen a child come to school in soiled clothing because they do not have a washer or other clothes? HAve you seen a child come to school so battered you wonder how they even function let alone smile--but school is their ONLY refuge and weekends and summer breaks are nothing short of HELL?? Have you seen a child come into school with the sole intent of harming another person because all they know is violence at home?

I have.
When we can find funding to incarcerate adults to the tune of $30K plus a year with FULL benefits, and we cannot provide students with the BASIC resources they SUFFER...

Come by most any school Mr. Snyder and see for yourself...and not the affluent burbs where they spent twice the state allocation of $7500 per pupil funding.

And it's not just a Michigan thing...

Last edited by zthatzmanz28; 05-25-2011 at 05:37 AM..

Old 05-25-2011, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Have you seen a child come to school in soiled clothing because they do not have a washer or other clothes? HAve you seen a child come to school so battered you wonder how they even function let alone smile--but school is their ONLY refuge and weekends and summer breaks are nothing short of HELL?? Have you seen a child come into school with the sole intent of harming another person because all they know is violence at home?
I'm not sure what a terrible home life has to do with school funding. Do you think more school funding will improve that child's life? Seems pretty naive.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:31 AM

362 posts, read 695,732 times
I saw what I felt was suffering children in Veit Nam. No school to go to, runny snotty noses and many open sores because they had no health care at all, so happy to recieve even a opened can of pound cake you made them eat so it didn't get in the wrong hands they smile that big happy one because they didn't get treats and some even had a hard time geting enough to eat.
Funny thing is most were very happy kids because they do what kids for the most part do every where. Make do with what life delt you, smile as things will not normally change and you must be happy with what you are delt.

But this Is America not some third world country. We can make thing better for those abused, malnerished, poor kids. We can educate them, counsel them, feed them and see they are not bullied.
When we take those things away from children for the sake of keeping the rich in high cotton that is wrong.

I posted this else where after doing the research to find it but I'll post it here again.

As of May 2011 the American government has spent 849 billion dollars in the Middle East.

That is $849,000,000,000 of tax-payer money.

This is more money than any society has spent upon any one goal in human history.

The American government is building schools, libraries, hospitals, highway systems, phone and internet services, prisons, military installations, sea ports, banks, residential housing, commercial centers, television studios, waste treatment plants, recycling centers, and much more for those who despize us.

But, for some odd reason there seems to be no money for lower income American citizens.

Al

Old 05-25-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:
I'm not sure what a terrible home life has to do with school funding. Do you think more school funding will improve that child's life? Seems pretty naive.

I do think having access to resources that prisoners get--HEALTH coverage, COUNSELING, and FOOD (breakfast is in some schools but not all) will GREATLY improve thier lives.

Since it isn't FUNDED, then YES it has much to do with LACK of funding...

Thinking that home life doesn't affect everything else--including school--is is beyond naive...

Old 05-25-2011, 09:42 AM

Quote:
I do think having access to resources that prisoners get--HEALTH coverage, COUNSELING, and FOOD (breakfast is in some schools but not all) will GREATLY improve thier lives.

Since it isn't FUNDED, then YES it has much to do with LACK of funding...

Thinking that home life doesn't affect everything else--including school--is is beyond naive...
I'm not sure why you keep bringing up prisoners. Our state government also gave away millions of dollars in film industry subsidies. Are you mad that they didn't just give that money to schools instead? I mean sure, you might feel that way. But there's no point in wasting your energy saying "yeah, but they spend X amount of dollars on this!!" It's futile.

Do you really think that decreasing per pupil funding is going to make or break a kid's life? I think you are living in fantasy land. It's the home life that is most important, and school funding isn't going to change that one way or another.

If you really want to be mad at someone, get mad at the teachers' union. If they have a choice between reducing teachers' pensions or taking money away from the kids, they will screw the kids every single time. No one is forcing the schools to cut programs. If the unions would budge, that money could come out of the teachers' pockets instead. But pension cuts are always "off the table", even if it means Johnny can't afford to play high school basketball anymore, or Julia can't join the choir because the school has to cut the program (but those nice pensions remain intact!).

Old 05-25-2011, 11:42 AM

1,489 posts, read 3,600,861 times
Quote:
I'm not sure why you keep bringing up prisoners. Our state government also gave away millions of dollars in film industry subsidies. Are you mad that they didn't just give that money to schools instead? I mean sure, you might feel that way. But there's no point in wasting your energy saying "yeah, but they spend X amount of dollars on this!!" It's futile.

Do you really think that decreasing per pupil funding is going to make or break a kid's life? I think you are living in fantasy land. It's the home life that is most important, and school funding isn't going to change that one way or another.

If you really want to be mad at someone, get mad at the teachers' union. If they have a choice between reducing teachers' pensions or taking money away from the kids, they will screw the kids every single time. No one is forcing the schools to cut programs. If the unions would budge, that money could come out of the teachers' pockets instead. But pension cuts are always "off the table", even if it means Johnny can't afford to play high school basketball anymore, or Julia can't join the choir because the school has to cut the program (but those nice pensions remain intact!).
You don't realize or acknowledge how many teachers pay out of their own pockets for things like school supplies that the district cannot provide because of budget cuts.

Yeah, those 38K a year teachers are the problem.

How many retired teachers do you see driving expensive cars? Here's a hint: Most drive Fords or Kias.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan