Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 06:00 PM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times

Advertisements

I know people in warmer states laugh at the thought of "OMG it's hot" threads when the temps aren't into the triple digits. Fine...we'll laugh back at complaints of "bitter cold" in Texas when it's in the balmy 30s here, LOL.

It is barely June. It is 92 degrees at almost 8 pm with a "Real Feel" of 100 degrees, according to mlive.com right now.

I give up...the older house with no central air I bought last fall is horribly hot, despite being surrounded by trees, and window fans galore. Tomorrow I'm headed to Lowes for at least one window air conditioner.

My dogs are flat on the floor, the cats aren't moving more than they need to and I am miserably hot even with two oscillating fans pointing right at me as I write this. I swear...before menopause, heat didn't bother me much at all - I worked outside in it all the time and didn't mind one bit! Now my internal thermostat has changed, I am truly miserable in the heat, there is not one single thing about this I can even start to enjoy.

The high on Friday is predicted for 68 degrees...OMG that sounds so wonderful right now I can't even tell you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2011, 06:39 PM

325 posts, read 371,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiroptera View Post
I know people in warmer states laugh at the thought of "OMG it's hot" threads when the temps aren't into the triple digits. Fine...we'll laugh back at complaints of "bitter cold" in Texas when it's in the balmy 30s here, LOL.

It is barely June. It is 92 degrees at almost 8 pm with a "Real Feel" of 100 degrees, according to mlive.com right now.

I give up...the older house with no central air I bought last fall is horribly hot, despite being surrounded by trees, and window fans galore. Tomorrow I'm headed to Lowes for at least one window air conditioner.

My dogs are flat on the floor, the cats aren't moving more than they need to and I am miserably hot even with two oscillating fans pointing right at me as I write this. I swear...before menopause, heat didn't bother me much at all - I worked outside in it all the time and didn't mind one bit! Now my internal thermostat has changed, I am truly miserable in the heat, there is not one single thing about this I can even start to enjoy.

The high on Friday is predicted for 68 degrees...OMG that sounds so wonderful right now I can't even tell you!
Who-hoo! I say bring on the heat! But I'm not without AC. That stinks, Chiroptera. We didn't have central AC when we lived in L.A. and we ended up with three window units for a 1200 square foot house. And it even cooled off at night! Ugh, can't imagine it in this humidity...

Old 06-07-2011, 06:51 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
I dont mind the heat sometimes because we have a pool, but I work from home and seems like I'm too busy to use it...until the kids get home. But its nice to know I can jump in for a few and cool off when I need. But I'm a mid to upper 70's guy.....perfect!

Old 06-07-2011, 07:07 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Well I wait all year for this, but I don't have AC so it's too hot in the house. I'm calling around tomorrow and see what I can get installed with one of those portable outfits. Anyone use one of those and have any recomendations? I've got crank out style windows so those units most folks can use don't work for me.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:10 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
Well I wait all year for this, but I don't have AC so it's too hot in the house. I'm calling around tomorrow and see what I can get installed with one of those portable outfits. Anyone use one of those and have any recomendations? I've got crank out style windows so those units most folks can use don't work for me.
Dunk a piece of cloth in ice water and wear it as a head band, and once in a while pour ice water over your wrists.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:19 PM

325 posts, read 371,816 times
Quote:
Luzette, we had those windows that slide side to side, and we were told the best thing for windows like that or the crank out kind is to use plexiglas around the unit or use a portable ac with a tube running out the window surrounded (again) by plexiglass. But those portable ones are hideous, and they don't work as well.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:29 PM

Quote:
The cheapest deal I found (with coupon) was at Target for about $80 for 5000 btu...but I was pricing window units so Im am not sure that would work for you. Quite a few people have good used deals on craigslist but they are going very fast. My last house had central air, man I do miss that.

I had to order a window unit from Lowes because they were sold out, should be in tomorrow. I hope.

ironlady....when I lived out west the humidity wasn't that big a deal...I never minded dry heat but this humid heat is awful and as long as there's technology to deal with it, I am so there! My dogs are like hairy pancakes, they don't even want to move and it is only June.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:39 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,026 times
I'm in an old house so I'm going to probably have to get some electrical updating along with the AC. Many of my wall outlets are the old two prong type, and I know even with my dehumidifier you're not supposed to use an adaptor. I sort of had a feeling the portable AC units aren't as good as the window type. I have a hot water heating system instead of forced air so no way to install anything on my furnace like central air. I'll have to see what the electrician says and go from there.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:41 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
My advide to my wife was go sit int he car for a while, or come into our office and hang out. She just went to work early instead. (Hint - Libraries have AC.)/ Misters work pretty well. I just put two fans blowing on me full speed and it is not bad. If I get hot, I jump in the pool and the cool off while the fans evaporate the water. Since I work indoors, I rarely notice the weather all that much. Just on the weekends and evenings.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:46 PM

Luzette...my house was built in 1950, so it is definitely old! Although it's been updated a time or two so I have a fuse box and mostly 3-prong outlets.

I am in Mt Morris, if you are nearby DM me and I can give you contact information for reputable people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan