Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 02:21 PM

Location: Michigan BAY-BEH!!(Texan by birth, Michigander by choice!!)
183 posts, read 289,378 times

Advertisements

Not soon enough for my tastes!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2012, 07:13 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,883,805 times
first snow that sticks, or first snow in the air? First in the air without sticking was last week here in the Ludington area.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:03 AM

364 posts, read 878,492 times
The Detroit area saw its first snowflakes of the season overnight October 29-30th. Snow and sleet mixed with rain, though it did not stick at all in most of metro-Detroit (left a slushy coating in some of the NW suburbs).

As for first blanket of snow, I will say around Thanksgiving for most of southern Michigan. We are in a very Novembery pattern right now...highs in the 40s, lows in the 20s/30s, but no real precip. I think we will see Indian Summer mid-month. But winter is not far off, and while I dont think it will be as severe, cold, and snowy as 2010-11, I have every confidence possible that we will see a harsher winter than 2011-12 was. Bring on the snow!!!

Old 11-03-2012, 03:53 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,262,842 times
Snow on the ground this morning, 11.03.12, not much, but enough to make things white.

Old 11-03-2012, 09:24 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,953,444 times
I know most of you don't consider us up here when it comes to weather. You might be right as our influence is a Northern Tier thing from central north, and northern Canada.( Hudson Bay Effect indirectly ). Lower Mi does not. What that means these days with climate change I am not sure. If we have another mild winter, and a hot summer, I will except in full the advances the words of science . .....While saying that we had about an inch over night here in Marquette,

Old 11-03-2012, 02:42 PM

364 posts, read 878,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I know most of you don't consider us up here when it comes to weather. You might be right as our influence is a Northern Tier thing from central north, and northern Canada.( Hudson Bay Effect indirectly ). Lower Mi does not. What that means these days with climate change I am not sure. If we have another mild winter, and a hot summer, I will except in full the advances the words of science . .....While saying that we had about an inch over night here in Marquette,
climate goes in cycles....you could have another mild winter in the U.P., but that doesnt mean you wont have a harsh winter next year. We had 4 consecutive unusually harsh winters here in SE Michigan, then last year was exceptionally mild with very light snow, so things balance things out. So while you were having uncharacteristically light winters up there, heavy snow was blanketing southern lower Michigan. Then of course there are many years with a usual north to south gradient in MI where feet and feet of snow bury the U.P., whittling down to just light snow in southern lower MI. Bottom line, climate change or not, mildest of winter or coldest of one...winter in Michigan is not going anywhere.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:36 PM

You can watch what the weather is in AK, wait for about a week, and chances are the weather will be about the same for they UP and very northern LP.

Old 11-03-2012, 04:52 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,953,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
You can watch what the weather is in AK, wait for about a week, and chances are the weather will be about the same for they UP and very northern LP.
I don't think so. Take last winter for example. Alaska and the Yukon got hammered, we had a mild winter almost no snow for us. If you look further east to the NWT, and Yellowknife, they had a mild winter. they are due north of the UP. Thats where our weather comes from. WE miss the Alaska stuff as it seems to go south through Wisconsin and Chicago.

Old 11-03-2012, 07:16 PM

It is quite true and well known, been watching it for years, though last was an exception. The problem with last year, is cold and storms got trapped near the Golf of Alaska and never made it down.

Funny thing about AK getting hammered last year. Last year's record snow in Anchorage is less than most of the western UP's average.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan