Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 12:36 PM

44 posts, read 46,295 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving to Michigan this summer. We are not sure where we want to live yet. My husband needs easy access to 94, as he may need to go to Chicago occasionally for business. My daughter and I want to live in the country, on 2-5 acres, maybe eventually have a small farm. My stepdaughter is a true OC girl. She wants a mall and a movie theater nearby. She is worried about her social life. What do teenagers do for fun in Pinckney, Stockbridge, Dexter, and Chelsea? I think a simpler life will be good for her, but I don't want her bored to death, either. Anyone who's lived in the area- was it hard to make friends? The rest of us pretty much keep to ourselves anyway, but with a teen, it's really important. Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2012, 12:53 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Go to Hell.

Old 01-18-2012, 12:55 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
. .. and Go canoeing. Stop at the Hell gift shop and the Ice Scream parlor.

Dexter ahs a neat old fashioned camera store and some other neat shops. Chelsea has a decent theater, but do not go see any home grown shows. The ones written by an author (not an actor) are good. The locally written shows are terrible.

Old 01-18-2012, 01:51 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
There is a chain of lakes in that area.

Old 01-18-2012, 02:37 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
My family is in Pinckney. Downtown is small - little restaurants and shops. Gas, groceries & party stores east on M-36. The big draw in the area is the nearby recreation areas (Pinckney RA, Waterloo RA, Brighton RA, Island Lake, Kensington Lake metropark, Halfmoon Lake pk, etc). Cultural events are in Ann Arbor. There are misc fairs etc. in the summertime.
Mall shopping is in Brighton.
Bing Maps - Driving Directions, Traffic and Road Conditions

Last edited by detwahDJ; 01-18-2012 at 03:02 PM.. Reason: added info

Old 01-18-2012, 08:46 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Gotta have a boat or access to a boat when living in Pinckney. Riding the chain of lakes is an excellent way to spend the weekends or most any evening in a boat. Brighton Recreation area is just up the road. Howell has a great farmer's market in the summer (Sunday's I think). Brighton has weekend activities around the Mill Pond area. SOuth Lyon is a nice day trip to downtown and the South Lyon Hotel for lunch or dinner.

Old 01-19-2012, 06:06 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,774 times
I live in mid-MI. and LOVE going north. But if we do go south...I love the Pinckney recreational area. It has an "up-north" feel, and tons of things to do. Oh...and the Waterloo Recreational are is also awesome! Its very beautiful! Just tons of lakes, trails and woods around these areas.

Old 01-19-2012, 08:47 AM

4,629 posts, read 4,896,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getmeouttacali View Post
What do teenagers do for fun in Pinckney, Stockbridge, Dexter, and Chelsea?
Either play sports, hang out with friends at houses, or go to Ann Arbor/Brighton.

There is lots of outdoors stuff - hunting, fishing, hiking, camping, swimming, boating - but if she's only into shopping related/urban activities, Brighton and Ann Arbor are the closest.

If your looking out just for your stepdaughter and husband, Stockbridge is the worst choice, it's the furthest from an urban area and from 94, by a long shot. It's a tiny village surrounded by farmland. If he had to go to Lansing often, it would be a decent choice though.

Old 01-19-2012, 09:32 AM

44 posts, read 46,295 times
We have off road vehicles. Is atv riding legal in any of the rec areas? Are there places nearby where people go riding? That's something both girls are into. I'm leaning away from Stockbridge, as hubby and stepdaughter will probably not like being quite that rural. I'm liking Chelsea, Dexter, and Pinckney the best. My husband likes Howell, which seems a bit too settled for me. I like the idea of being a short drive from AA. Is Ypsilanti a nice area?

Old 01-19-2012, 09:37 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,605,145 times
Bundy Hill is an off-roading spot in the Jackson area, which isn't too far away:

Michigan Off Roading at Bundy Hill Off Road Park - Jerome, MI (4x4, OHV, ORV, ATV, Quad, Motorcycle, Jeep)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan