Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2012, 11:29 AM

3 posts, read 8,659 times

Advertisements

We are looking for a good school system near Lansing. We're defining good not only in terms of academics, but also in terms of parental involvement and whether the teachers and staff care about the children of the community.

We currently live in a Detroit suburb, but need to move to the Lansing area for my husband's new job. We've been looking at different cities near Lansing and have narrowed it down to Grand Ledge, Dewitt and St. Johns.

We did look at Okemos, but we didn't think we could "keep up with the Jones" there as we are no means rich due to hubby being downsized.

We have a 9-year-old, very shy son going into 5th grade and a 6-year-old outgoing daughter going into 1st grade.

Mainly, we're concerned about our son since he will be starting middle school soon and it a quiet, serious type of kid. He's also on the small side so we are worried about bullying.

Having to move away from family, friends, and everything they've known is going to be hard for our kids, not to mention us. We don't have a clue to which cities near Lansing are the safest, have the best school systems, and best community. Right now, hubby has an 85 mile drive both ways so we really need get in action soon.

We would greatly appreciate any advice or observations on these communities. Thanks!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2012, 05:45 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganMomof2 View Post
We are looking for a good school system near Lansing. We're defining good not only in terms of academics, but also in terms of parental involvement and whether the teachers and staff care about the children of the community.

We currently live in a Detroit suburb, but need to move to the Lansing area for my husband's new job. We've been looking at different cities near Lansing and have narrowed it down to Grand Ledge, Dewitt and St. Johns.

We did look at Okemos, but we didn't think we could "keep up with the Jones" there as we are no means rich due to hubby being downsized.

We have a 9-year-old, very shy son going into 5th grade and a 6-year-old outgoing daughter going into 1st grade.

Mainly, we're concerned about our son since he will be starting middle school soon and it a quiet, serious type of kid. He's also on the small side so we are worried about bullying.

Having to move away from family, friends, and everything they've known is going to be hard for our kids, not to mention us. We don't have a clue to which cities near Lansing are the safest, have the best school systems, and best community. Right now, hubby has an 85 mile drive both ways so we really need get in action soon.

We would greatly appreciate any advice or observations on these communities. Thanks!!!

I don't think you can go wrong with any of those communities. I like all of them. I also probably don't have the kind of specific school info you are looking for. I do know that Grand Ledge is a larger school system than the other two (1800 kids in high school vs. approx. 1000 at the other two.) Grand Ledge is also more diverse than the other two, which are almost 100% white I think. St. Johns is the most rural of the three, but as far as farming communities go, it is a very nice one (and there is plenty of newer suburban development there from recent years mixed with the farms). Grand Ledge and DeWitt are more suburban. DeWitt is probably the wealthiest of the three communities, with Grand Ledge and St. Johns having more of a mix of higher and lower income people. But again, all three are very solid areas.

Hopefully this helps. Again, I don't know a lot of specifics about the school systems, but I don't think any of them have a major flaw that will disqualify it. It's probably going to come down to personal preference.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:46 PM

214 posts, read 673,432 times
Quote:

Don't discount East Lansing. The "northern-tier" has many properties available outside of the student ghetto.

You'll get more things close by than the other communities, while at the same time schools that are nearly on par with Okemos or Haslett.

Our kids go to Donley, and it is an incredibly involved school, with great programs. We rent a nice place with a huge yard (house) for $1k per month.

There are plenty of places available for $1-200 less.

The other communities are very nice (g/f went to Grand Ledge and loved it), but GL is downsizing quite a bit. Dewitt also has nice communities and great schools, but is much to small for my liking (I'm from Metro Detroit).

Even if you're not all about the college scene (which you obviously are not), the amenities available close to East Lansing (cheap food, every kind of delivery imaginable, reasonable commute to shopping, groceries, the occasional night-life), really can't be beat.

I can't think of an area in Metro Detroit (other than the exurbs) that would be similar to any of the areas you mentioned.

The other thing is that you shouldn't worry about "uprooting" your kids. The reality is that you're 1 hour flat from Metro Detroit. We routinely go to Novi or Troy, and it's no big deal. It's not like you're moving 2+ hours away.

The other nice thing is that being in the Lansing area opens up Grand Rapids to you as well. If you choose to live in Grand Ledge, you're 45 minutes from 28th Street, which is a huge commercial district, and around 1 hour from downtown, which has all of the amenities you could ever want. On top of that, your 5 hour trip to Chicago can now be 3:45 if you go at off-peak times.

The Lansing area isn't bad, just make sure that the community you move to offers everything you need.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:16 PM

3 posts, read 8,659 times
Thanks to both of you, michigan83 and caspper83, for the advice! It sounds like you both have a good perspective and knowledge of the area. I'm afraid my questions weren't very specific and you provided me with a lot of very useful information despite my ignorance of the area

Right now, we are looking for a community with good schools, grocery stores (Meijers, Kroger, etc.), amenities, affordable housing, and low crime. We will probably buy rather than rent, but who knows?...

We aren't particulary looking for a diverse or metropolitan feel or a party scene lol. We live in a small town--Clawson--about 2 miles square that is surrounded by other cities, so we're lucky right now to live close to everything yet still retain the small town feel. People in Clawson recognize each other on the street and have a sense of community, so I guess I'm looking for another town with a similar feel.

Again, thanks for your help

Old 04-23-2012, 12:15 AM

214 posts, read 673,432 times
Quote:
Thanks to both of you, michigan83 and caspper83, for the advice! It sounds like you both have a good perspective and knowledge of the area. I'm afraid my questions weren't very specific and you provided me with a lot of very useful information despite my ignorance of the area

Right now, we are looking for a community with good schools, grocery stores (Meijers, Kroger, etc.), amenities, affordable housing, and low crime. We will probably buy rather than rent, but who knows?...

We aren't particulary looking for a diverse or metropolitan feel or a party scene lol. We live in a small town--Clawson--about 2 miles square that is surrounded by other cities, so we're lucky right now to live close to everything yet still retain the small town feel. People in Clawson recognize each other on the street and have a sense of community, so I guess I'm looking for another town with a similar feel.

Again, thanks for your help
The problem is that the Lansing area is 1/10th the size of Metro Detroit. So you're not going to get that contiguous feel over a huge swath of city types. Any place like Clawson is going to be rural for at least 5-10 miles before you hit it here. Likewise, you're not going to have the Birminghams, Bloomfields, the Royal Oaks so close.

That being said, you can compromise, and you can raise a great family here. You just need to understand that the communities don't have as much diversity (and I don't mean racial, I mean, they are what they are, and if something else that strikes your fancy is close, cool; Otherwise, you're going to have to drive).

If you want a small-town vibe, no "keeping up with the Jones's," and a down to earth community, you should look at Mason, East Lansing's northern half (north of Lake Lansing or at least Saginaw), or Dewitt. Dewitt is going to be more rural (less so than St. Johns), but more of the same. Mason (as the County Seat of Ingham County) will be more urban (but still rural) comparatively. But there's no other city like EL. I hated it for the first decade, but now that I have kids, I wouldn't want them anywhere else, other than a larger city. One middle school, one high school. And five to three separate elementaries.

I wouldn't trade it for anything. It's been great. And the housing stock has a ton of options from the $75k to $300k price range.

And if you're close to Lake Lansing Rd, you get Meijer, Kroger, Wal-Mart, and Sam's Club within a couple miles. There's also Walgreens, a 2nd Kroger, Rite-Aid, college liquor stores, and an Aldi not too far away. Factor in Dollar General, Family Dollar and Goodwill, and you're running the gamut.

Please don't let college choices or rooting interests deter you from EL, which is a great community, with great schools, with very involved parents. Unless it was NYC or Chicago calling, I wouldn't leave, even with a 50% raise.

Old 04-24-2012, 01:09 AM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,151 times
Dewitt has good schools but I think Grand Ledge is more solidified in that area. St. Johns would rank third.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan