Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2012, 06:11 PM

391 posts, read 906,849 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FenderBass View Post
I hope they get all the construction equipment moved out of the parking lot before Saturday! Years ago this was a great event; it is now so big that the intimacy is gone.
The second phase of the harbor renovation is going on, but most stuff will be moved out of the way for the weekend so the two large tents can be put up. Back when there was only one tent it was crowded...with two there's plenty of room so you can talk to winemakers, etc. without being jostled or packed in. I like it much better.
I wish I had a nice big boat in TC so I could sail into Leland and spend the weekend in the harbor. Last year we met some people who came over from Wisconsin on their boats for the festival. That looked like a lot of fun.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2012, 07:43 PM

63 posts, read 129,331 times
Well, if the weather is good, maybe I'll drive the 20 miles and give it a go!

Old 06-07-2012, 08:30 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicrowbar View Post
The second phase of the harbor renovation is going on, but most stuff will be moved out of the way for the weekend so the two large tents can be put up. Back when there was only one tent it was crowded...with two there's plenty of room so you can talk to winemakers, etc. without being jostled or packed in. I like it much better.
I wish I had a nice big boat in TC so I could sail into Leland and spend the weekend in the harbor. Last year we met some people who came over from Wisconsin on their boats for the festival. That looked like a lot of fun.
I didn't realize people came from Wisconsin in their boats to the festival. It must have been a good size boat. I can't imagine anyone crossing Lake Michigan in a small one.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:00 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,859,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
I didn't realize people came from Wisconsin in their boats to the festival. It must have been a good size boat. I can't imagine anyone crossing Lake Michigan in a small one.
You would be surprised at the size of some of the boats Idiots make the crossing in (or just take out into the Big Lake.) I've seen little 14' open aluminum boats with 10-15 HP motors and about 8" of free-board, out 10 or 15 miles. I talked to one moron who made the crossing from WI to Ludington in an 18' Runabout using just a handheld GPS for navigation.

Old 06-07-2012, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You would be surprised at the size of some of the boats Idiots make the crossing in (or just take out into the Big Lake.) I've seen little 14' open aluminum boats with 10-15 HP motors and about 8" of free-board, out 10 or 15 miles. I talked to one moron who made the crossing from WI to Ludington in an 18' Runabout using just a handheld GPS for navigation.
Wow, I just had no idea folks took this kind of risk. I hope they've all at least got life jackets with them. Do they have a way to even call for help from the coast guard?

Old 06-08-2012, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
Yeah, theirs was about 40 feet and their friend's boat was even bigger, like floating apartments. There were also people from Frankfort, Traverse City, Elk Rapids, Charlevoix and Bay Harbor there. It was kind of like a whole other party on their boats and on the docks.
I think that would be big fun...but no big boat here. Sold my 27' 1956 Chris-Craft Sedan Cruiser a few years ago. It needed hull work and a wealthy new owner. So now I just visit boats whenever I can.

Boats do attract bozos though...last summer the Coast Guard was all over the Manitou Passage looking for two geniuses who were kayaking to South Manitou Island when some wind came up....jeez
Most kayaks aren't made for 6 foot swells. The idiots made it back to shore about 10 miles from where they had departed, and didn't call their panicked families for a few hours. I wonder how much 4 or 5 hours of Coast Guard helicopter, Sheriff's search and rescue, and local Fire Dept. time cost. Wish they could have made the bozos pay.

Old 06-08-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmicrowbar View Post
Yeah, theirs was about 40 feet and their friend's boat was even bigger, like floating apartments. There were also people from Frankfort, Traverse City, Elk Rapids, Charlevoix and Bay Harbor there. It was kind of like a whole other party on their boats and on the docks.
I think that would be big fun...but no big boat here. Sold my 27' 1956 Chris-Craft Sedan Cruiser a few years ago. It needed hull work and a wealthy new owner. So now I just visit boats whenever I can.

Boats do attract bozos though...last summer the Coast Guard was all over the Manitou Passage looking for two geniuses who were kayaking to South Manitou Island when some wind came up....jeez
Most kayaks aren't made for 6 foot swells. The idiots made it back to shore about 10 miles from where they had departed, and didn't call their panicked families for a few hours. I wonder how much 4 or 5 hours of Coast Guard helicopter, Sheriff's search and rescue, and local Fire Dept. time cost. Wish they could have made the bozos pay.
It would have to be a boat the size of a floating apartment before I would even think of taking such a trip.

Old 06-08-2012, 08:34 PM

A lot of boats from mid-twenties on up make the lake crossing, going either way. If the weather is good it's a responsible and safe thing. More fun in a floating apartment though
Raining here now, but expected to clear up with warm temps by late morning.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:07 PM

How many hours does it take to cross the lake in just an average boat? Decades ago I took the Badger across and if my memory is correct it was about a six hour crossing.

Old 06-12-2012, 07:47 PM

Default Wine fest was big fun

Wow...the 2011 white wines from Leelanau and Old Mission are fantastic! They had perfect growing conditions and a large crop, so I'm told, so there's a lot of great N. Mich wine out there to enjoy. And enjoy we did on Saturday at the Leland Wine & Food Festival.
The weather was everything it was NOT last year...a beautiful, sunny, very warm day with a breeze off Lake Michigan. Awesome!
We loved the food from local restaurants, adored the wine from 16 wineries, and, hey...we're in Leland, right next to Lake Michigan...so what could be wrong.
They're just finishing the harbor renovation, but the contractor moved stuff out of the way for the day so the festival could go on. Must have been something to see. Thanks for that, cause it was a great day to be in Leland and Fishtown.
Photo from www.Lelandreport.com, w/ permission.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan