Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2008, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 12,254 times

Advertisements

Freakshow 10MM, I have no idea if the owner of Shute's is gay. All I know is that I was uncomfortable in there because two women I do not know came up to me, hugged and kissed me-I'm just not used to that kind of affection from strangers. I know a lot of straight people go because of karaoke on Tuesday nights. Please do not interpret my message as anti-gay, I just thought a heads-up might be in order, so if the same thing happens to someone else they will not be too shocked.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2008, 08:21 AM

1 posts, read 5,041 times
Shute's is great for everyone. Yes, if you happen to be gay you'll be welcomed there - but the thing about Shute's is that you can be gay or straight, black or white, punk or country, young or old, Democrat or Republican etc. etc. -- it just doesn't matter. "Straight" people don't just go Tuesdays because of karaoke. The predominent customer base is straight, and older, and local - but it's a place where everyone is your friend. You can't say that about the PUB or Randy's, where everyone is suspect and if you don't fit a certain definition, you're not welcome.Go to Shute's - see for yourself.It's more like CHEERS than any other place I've been - people know your name!

Old 12-16-2008, 04:07 PM

349 posts, read 887,628 times
Talking Thanks for all the answsers - keep 'em coming

Hi this is Pammychica, the OP - name change, forgot my login for that one!

I am glad there are enough people online to give a good perspective

I'm not expecting big city life - I've vacationed there every year since I was a kid, so I've seen the changes and a lot are good, meaning it's a lot more in step with the world these days, probably much due to the influence of TV/internet than back in the days where my Gramps watched TV in Finn and there were only like 6 channels or something.

I read, also, that Sheldon Ave. is getting ca$h for a renaissance, which should be interesting (I came across some site from the gov. on this).

Oh and we loved Michigan House - what a great beer selection! I had the Blue Cheese burger w/bacon, which was way good. There's a good ambience there, plus the owners were terrific. The Library was good for pricier dishes, just not something to do too often. Shutes we checked out and thought it was meh, OK for a drink. I'd like the karaoke myself, but dont' think I'll have any luck bringing the bf!!!

Anyone who wants to add to what's to do up there for fun, like what do you do and is it easy to make friends if your 30/40 all that jazz.

Oh, and what is Uphill 41 like? I was there a million years ago. I want a place to dance!!!

Last edited by FreeSpirited1; 12-16-2008 at 04:45 PM.. Reason: name different from original post

Old 12-19-2008, 11:36 PM

282 posts, read 1,168,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammychica View Post
I have family in the area, but wanted to get opinions from people in my age group (30-40) about a few things, if anyone would like to chime in:
* the job market for an administrative assistant (secretary)? My thoughts are that there would be openings at Finlandia, Mich Tech or some of the hospitals, for a start. Any other ideas? My background is in insurance but it may be more difficult to find...
* Calumet is where I am looking to live...can someone give me an idea if they live there/have lived there (again, age group 30-40) - do you like it? What are some places to hang out (restaurants, bars) and what are some things you do in the winter?
* As respects cable/internet/DSL...how is your experience with Charter and, who offers DSL lines? Pricing info would help, also...their webpage just says "call us" so it's not much help.
* Lastly, I know there are occasional power outages regularly...anyone know why and how often does this happen?

I have some info from family up there, but they are older, so it doesn't help re: job market as they are retired.

Any extra information is appreciated - please opine! Thank you
ALWAYS check with the Chamber of Commerce for any area you're looking to move to.

Old 01-29-2009, 03:53 PM

3 posts, read 7,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by historyandhobby View Post
Shute's is great for everyone. Yes, if you happen to be gay you'll be welcomed there - but the thing about Shute's is that you can be gay or straight, black or white, punk or country, young or old, Democrat or Republican etc. etc. -- it just doesn't matter. "Straight" people don't just go Tuesdays because of karaoke. The predominent customer base is straight, and older, and local - but it's a place where everyone is your friend. You can't say that about the PUB or Randy's, where everyone is suspect and if you don't fit a certain definition, you're not welcome.Go to Shute's - see for yourself.It's more like CHEERS than any other place I've been - people know your name!
I've been to plenty of bars in Calumet, including the ones listed... my question is this - what exactly do you mean in your comment about the PUB and Randy's? I've been to both and didn't feel unwelcome or snubbed. Why would other's be "suspect" or unwelcome if they don't fit a "definition"? Sincerely curious as to what you mean. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2009, 12:35 AM

3 posts, read 24,259 times
I'm in my early fifties and have been here since 2001. Probably moving to Ann Arbor for school, and have two houses for sale on Calumet Ave.

It's an incredibly safe place...and the schools (CLK) are great - award winning, believe it or not. Calumet has been infused with Main street dollars, and is getting better and better. Houghton is going to undergo a renaissance this summer. Your housing dollars go further in Calumet.

Old 02-18-2009, 12:32 PM

22 posts, read 87,324 times
uphill 41 huh? I will tell you from my experience, I worked as a bartender there in college (I just graduated in 2008, so very recently) and depending on how long it has been since you have been there and how old you are it may have changed alot. It is still big and smokey and black. Id say it is a semi popular hangout for townies and finlandia students. Though sometimes you can see tumbleweeds. There is DJ probably thurs friday saturday night, play mostly rap and hip hop and still have the original wood stage to dance on. Karreokee on wednesdays. Cheap drinks. Some awfully strange patrons. The owner is very nice and an awesome guy, as are most people who work there, but some of the patrons are questionable at best. The place is busiest when a good band plays on the weekend. I being a troll and an MTU student was not always welcomed there by the locals, not sure why. Other people I met there were great.

I'd say check it out on your own....

Old 02-18-2009, 01:47 PM

29,464 posts, read 14,635,166 times
It's been years since I've been to this area... usually on vacation in the winter. We would spend a week snowmobiling there. The Copper Crown Best Western was our home base, and we would venture out from there. Spent many a night stumbling back from the Uphill. I always thought it was strange the ladies has snowmobile gear in the trunks of their cars.... LOL Had many a greasy breakfast at the Kaleva cafe. There was also a pretty good Italian resturant in that area too.
Is it common knowledge that Calumet was very close to being the capitol of MI ? I guess it was quite the place back in the mining day's. About 15 years ago we did a copper mine tour somewhere just north of Phoenix. The old timer there talked our ears off for close to an hour and a half. He fed us some of the best coffee I've ever had. Also told me a great amount of Michigan history. That guy was a wealth of information (or a really good BS'r) anyway's he told us about the capitol thing. Also when it came time for our tour, he pointed the direction and said only go where there's lights !
The Walleye fingers at that resturant in Lac La Belle are incredible ,I highly recommend them.
Only spent a couple of summer's up there when I was an early teen. Well actually it was a little south of there. My aunt and uncle owned a Bar/hotel in Amasa for close to 20 years. I'd stay with them and we would head to Calument and area's to hang out. I remember a resturant that had the BEST prime rib and the fireplaces were big enough to walk in..
What a beautiful place to live in.. it's truely god's country up there.

Old 02-19-2009, 12:05 PM

29,464 posts, read 14,635,166 times
A few pictures from the Keewanau trips. One of them is an abandoned factory just outside of Hancock, another is the copper mine I talked about just north of Phoneix, then there's Lake of the Clouds , and the other is South bound I75 driving home from that trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Calumet - Houghton-Hancock - your thoughts?-scan10050.jpg   Calumet - Houghton-Hancock - your thoughts?-scan10052.jpg   Calumet - Houghton-Hancock - your thoughts?-scan10049.jpg   Calumet - Houghton-Hancock - your thoughts?-scan10040.jpg  

Old 01-09-2011, 05:51 PM

1 posts, read 3,458 times
trinkit you are completely out of line! You're using the worst of an area you know nothing about to judge! Don't be so foolish! I lived here all my life, I'm 27 with 3 kids and a great husband who works a great job hard enough to support our family and have me be a stay at home mom. It's a great place to raise a family, there are drunks everywhere not just in the Upper Penninsula you idiot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan