Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2012, 08:07 AM

157 posts, read 440,657 times

Advertisements

Thanks to each of you. I would like information about Brooklyn area
I lived in FL for 16 yrs then TN 24 yrs. Quite a change coming down the pike, wouldn't you say
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2012, 10:53 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,610,370 times
MichSnowLover, thanks for all of the great pics and info in this thread! People tend to give a lot of misinformation about snowfall. Memories are not very accurate for most people, and everyone is biased, depending on how much they like/dislike snow.

Old 11-27-2012, 10:52 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,316,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgiloveTN View Post
I lived in FL for 16 yrs then TN 24 yrs. Quite a change coming down the pike, wouldn't you say
The Brooklyn area, AKA the Irish Hills, is really quite pretty. Sort of like TN except that the mountains are small hills, lol.

Here are some links with info about the Brooklyn/Irish Hills area:

Welcome to the Brooklyn-Irish Hills Chamber of Commerce

Irish Hills Recreation - Irish Hills Michigan

Village of Brooklyn Michigan- The Heart of Irish Hills

You might not be in for that big of a change. Don't they get snow in TN, and quite a bit in some eastern areas of the state? Our winters are definitely going to be somewhat longer and colder, but if you lived in a part of TN that gets snow, it won't be that big of a deal. Unless you don't need to find a job or already have one lined up, that will probably be your biggest challenge, since this area is so rural. Adrian or Jackson would probably be your best bet and are the closest "cities" to the Irish Hills. We live about 30 miles east of Brooklyn and would live closer if it weren't for the long commute we would have to our jobs.

Old 11-27-2012, 03:43 PM

364 posts, read 878,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by corgiloveTN View Post
While there arent any official records for Brooklyn, I would estimate average snowfall to be in excess of 50 inches. Annual snowfall is 61" for Battle Creek and 43" for Detroit. This will depend on how much lake effect you get. The Irish Hills are beautiful btw!

Old 11-27-2012, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
MichSnowLover, thanks for all of the great pics and info in this thread! People tend to give a lot of misinformation about snowfall. Memories are not very accurate for most people, and everyone is biased, depending on how much they like/dislike snow.
Thanks As someone who deals with weather stats all the time, its sometimes irksome to see such inaccuracies being tossed around. And so true...those who love winter want to make it sound like we don't get what we used to...and people who hate winter act like it lasts 8 months. The reality is in between. After a chilly but uneventful November, expect December to open up with quite a mild spell (50s) but there are signs of a turn to much colder weather towards mid-December. Whether it is just seasonable or colder/snowier than normal remains to be seen. But after a few dustings this week...I am anxiously awaiting the first real snowfall!

Old 11-27-2012, 09:19 PM

1,217 posts, read 3,277,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michsnowlvr View Post
Completely not true. Lower MI sucked last winter, as did pretty much the whole country, but thats been it. Other than that they have been getting snowfall at a clip they had never really seen before. You arent the first person Ive heard say that though, which is why it boggles my mind how people (im speaking in general, no one in particular) always want to forget how much it snowed recently and how many snow records were piling up....but then on the opposite end, they greatly embellish winters of their youth. Weather stats dont lie: Only the 1970s can match up to the 2000s for snowy winters in SE MI. But who HASNT heard the old "it used to snow more when I was a kid"?

Detroit has records dating to 1880, and 5 of the 15 snowiest winters have occurred since 2003!
http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/display_...e=snowseas.htm

2007-08
Detroit - 4th snowiest winter on record
Flint - 2nd snowiest winter on record
Saginaw - 3rd snowiest winter on record

2008-09
Detroit - 9th snowiest winter on record
Flint - 8th snowiest winter on record
Saginaw - 4th snowiest winter on record

2010-11
Detroit - 5th snowiest winter on record
Flint - 9th snowiest winter on record
Saginaw - 5th snowiest winter on record

Never before had southeast Michigan COME CLOSE to getting as much snowfall in 2, 3, and 4 consecutive winters as they did 2007-08 through 2010-11.

Pic from Feb 2011, from Detroits southern suburbs

Well it doesn't seem like they have been that bad. But compared to up north our winters suck. So maybe statistically I'm wrong but not in my opinion of our winters suck.

Old 11-28-2012, 08:56 AM

4,636 posts, read 4,906,264 times
Quote:
While there arent any official records for Brooklyn, I would estimate average snowfall to be in excess of 50 inches. Annual snowfall is 61" for Battle Creek and 43" for Detroit. This will depend on how much lake effect you get. The Irish Hills are beautiful btw!
I would guess a whole lot less than that.
Jackson averages 31"/yr

There is a NOAA weather station in Brooklyn, but I can't find any historical data from it.

Old 11-28-2012, 02:45 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,857,385 times
Quote:
Never before had southeast Michigan COME CLOSE to getting as much snowfall in 2, 3, and 4 consecutive winters as they did 2007-08 through 2010-11.

Global warming!

Old 11-28-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGatti View Post
Well it doesn't seem like they have been that bad. But compared to up north our winters suck. So maybe statistically I'm wrong but not in my opinion of our winters suck.
Basically what it boils down to...an area like Detroit sees more winter weather than 80% of the country. But we are the least snowy spot in the "winter wonderland state" and each winter we see how parts of the north country can get buried, and are basically the snowiest non-mountainous region in the entire country. We are hearty souls

Old 11-28-2012, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
I would guess a whole lot less than that.
Jackson averages 31"/yr

There is a NOAA weather station in Brooklyn, but I can't find any historical data from it.
Hmm...where did you get that stat? There is no way they average that little. The least snowy spot in MI is going to be the EXTREME SE corner of the state (Monroe county) with an average of probably near 40". Detroit averages between 43-44" and Toledo, OH between 37-38". There is no "first-order" climate station near Jackson, so any averages would be based on weather spotter data which is flawed due to missing data. Basically the best thing to do is connect the dots with the main climate sites in MI from west to east...in inches, Grand Rapids averages in the low-70s, Battle Creek in the low 60s, Ann Arbor in the mid-50s, and Detroit in the low 40s.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan