Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 09:37 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,175,120 times

Advertisements

Hopefully room for 2 more .

A bit of background-I've been here in southcentral AK for most of my life, but my discontent with this place has been growing for a decade or so. Over the years I have been kind of looking around but never settled on a particular area. And then I met a lady who came to Alaska from Michigan and after she took me for a visit to the northern part of the LP I was rather smitten. I was one of those uninformed folks who always equated Michigan with Detroit and could scarce believe what I saw-fields, forests, big water, and the weather was nice while we were there. We recently made a second trip and pretty much sealed the deal. I have a couple of good job prospects and the bride has contacts, right now we're in the process of planning the escape.

The basic plan is to sell the house here-I bought wisely some time ago and figure to clear $100k on the house. Take that cash and buy a modest place either in the TC or Petosky area, depending on which company has the best offer, or on the right place, we have some flexibility.

We went out to dinner and one of the people at the table mentioned a fair number of Alaska plates running around, so I wonder if it's a trend. I'd like to hear from those folks if they are on the forum. I'll miss the mountains but I'm not sure what else I would be missing, besides the PFD, and the "Alaska Tax" soaks that up rather quickly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2012, 06:04 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
I know there are quite a few, but whether or not they are on the CD forums is another story. I know there is one for sure who recently moved back to Northern Michigan from Alaska...and you will hear from him.
We are also moving to the Traverse City area asap...its an amazing place with beauty all around. As beautiful as the Northern part of the L.P. is...the U.P. is in a league of its own.
Good luck!

Old 10-17-2012, 08:17 AM

6,424 posts, read 13,244,966 times
lol Tis me I think you're both thinking/talking of.
Yes, I've seen quite a few AK plates around the Tip-of-the-mitt. There are a good number with just the front AK plate, as MI doesn't use one, but I've also seen 6 or 7 front and rear AK plates, and I don't think they are just passing through.
Currently I work with a girl from Seldovia, born and raised there. There is another guy that use to work where I'm at that is from Sitka, moved here, moved back, and now moving back here again.
While in the Keweenaw the other week, it seemed that everywhere I turned I either was talking to someone that lived in AK, or seeing AK plates.
I'm not sure about anyone here on CD from AK but one, can't remember his nick, but his name is Pete, he lives in Detroit and has a place in Talkeetna.
Oh, just remembered, there is a guy that works at Toski Sands near Petoskey from AK also.

Old 10-17-2012, 10:35 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,598,154 times
Wow, I'm just surprised there are even that many. But then I can understand since Michigan is a pretty great outdoorsy state despite not having snow-capped mountains and I'd assume most Alaskans are outdoorsy people.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:37 AM

301 posts, read 823,552 times
I live in SW LP of Michigan, but am heading to the NW LP soon. Deciding between Traverse City or Petoskey. My family lived in Alaska for over 22 years - evenly split between Anchorage and Ketchikan. I see a fair amount of Alaskan plates down here, but tend to see more when up north. Saw many more in our trips to the UP. I used to smirk when folks would imply that the UP was "Alaska without the mountains" - my first trip up there wiped that smirk right off my face! We would drive the back roads & one of us would be exclaiming, "That looks just like (fill in an Alaskan spot)" or "That so reminds me of (fill in an Alaskan place)". There are also places in Emmet County that evoke that response.

Old 10-18-2012, 03:55 PM

6,424 posts, read 13,244,966 times
On sort of a different note, I had to retire my Alaska license plate today, it expires the end of this month. I still get to keep my front AK plate on though.

Old 10-18-2012, 08:27 PM

2,025 posts, read 4,175,120 times
It's cool that MI doesn't bother with a front plate, makes the cars look betterwithout the plate sticking out like a sore thumb.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:52 PM

760 posts, read 2,440,821 times
I know a lot of people in the Upper Peninsula who have lived in Alaska or were making plans to move to Alaska.
I have heard the U.P. referred to by more then a few people as "Alaska Lite" without the mountains.

Old 10-22-2012, 04:14 PM

1,069 posts, read 2,076,794 times
Lol, when we were up north in MI, I told my husband that it reminded me of Tahoe without the mountains- your original post reminded me of myself when I first came to Michigan (I'm from CA)- whenever I would think of Michigan, I would imagine Detroit, Motor City, cars, Motown, and that was pretty much it. When I moved to MI I lived downstate for a while, and loved it- moved up north, and loved it even more- now my husband (who is from MI) was transferred to the U.P., and I've died and gone to heaven, lol- you'll love it, I know you will.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:44 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,984 times
You'd be surprised at how many AK plates I see down here in Metro Detroit.

All those cars can't be owned by the same person!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan