Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2013, 11:01 PM

11 posts, read 15,555 times

Advertisements

Hello all,
I was born in Detroit but have resided in FL for the last 20 years, i'm 28. My parents moved here back then but my father passed shortly after and since then I've wanted to come back home. I have a family consisting of two children (2years old & 13) and my mother, we would like to return to our birth place. Problem is things have changed within the last 20 years. I'm not sure where is a good, safe place to live with good schools.
i read alot about the high end areas (the pointe's, Farmington's, hills) but those are a bit out of my rice range, single mother and all. I've been doing research but I'm not sure whether or not to believe the extreme negativity surrounding Detroit. I don't want to necessarily live in Detroit, somewhere outside is ok. My main concern is my children and a decent job. How is the crime? Safety? Schools? Is there someone i can seek information from about where would be a good place to live for a family and seek out the property on my behalf with out me having to come up there and scout myself? What's there to do up there? Any detailed info would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 01:15 AM

5,739 posts, read 6,935,815 times
Well, there is a multitude of threads on those very concerns which are ongoing. Just FYI.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:48 AM

1 posts, read 2,047 times
I have a 1470sf home for sale in Luna Pier. Exit 6 on I-75. Not yet listed but in the low 130's. Appraised at 185 a few years ago.

Old 07-11-2013, 10:45 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
Best place to live is where there is employment.

Old 07-11-2013, 11:23 AM

1,069 posts, read 2,077,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Encore, encore! lil

Old 07-11-2013, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Clearly. Thanks for all these great informative answers

Old 07-11-2013, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
Well, there is a multitude of threads on those very concerns which are ongoing. Just FYI.
Sorry i'm new here and was trying to get a quicker response I guess....

Old 07-11-2013, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangeCanBeGood View Post
Sorry i'm new here and was trying to get a quicker response I guess....
No problemo. Thought you might like to peruse other threads since the info is often quite current. You might search for Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, Traverse City, (as well as Michigan) to see what you can glean from them. Not much about some other cities like Muskegon or Jackson.
BTW my story is similar to yours having been Detroit-born & raised, then moving westward 15 years ago. I would like to make it back to the area at some point.

Old 07-11-2013, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by detwahDJ View Post
No problemo. Thought you might like to peruse other threads since the info is often quite current. You might search for Kalamazoo, Grand Rapids, Ann Arbor, Traverse City, (as well as Michigan) to see what you can glean from them. Not much about some other cities like Muskegon or Jackson.
BTW my story is similar to yours having been Detroit-born & raised, then moving westward 15 years ago. I would like to make it back to the area at some point.
Thank you for your help. I currently reside in Tampa. Too hot ugh. I would like to live not to far from the city some space for the kids to run an play. I hope you can make it back home? How is the west btw? Never been...

Old 07-11-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChangeCanBeGood View Post
Thank you for your help. I currently reside in Tampa. Too hot ugh. I would like to live not to far from the city some space for the kids to run an play. I hope you can make it back home? How is the west btw? Never been...
By west, I mean west Michigan. It is Michigan's "art coast" and vacation playground. I found I don't need it and prefer the city life, but unlike you, not necessarily a place for kids. At one point I considered Tampa for relocation, but was deterred by its climate (mainly heat & humidity).
Every place I considered - Asheville NC, Florida, New Mexico, Oregon, had tradeoffs of some kind. Grand Rapids is a nice town. Can't really speak to jobs, but there are some good websites for job searching depending on your skills.
Most Detroit suburbs have the neighborhoods you describe - somewhere. A lot depends on your real estate needs. The current Detroit-area locals have more up-to-the-minute life experience there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan