Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2007, 07:28 AM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
Hear, Hear!! Someone buy this person a beer!!

Hee! Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2007, 08:47 AM

74 posts, read 288,123 times
I think it would be cool if it was its own state but will never happen, I thought historically it should have been, or at least part of Wisconson, but its too late now. Canada.....no way that would be rediculous and would make for a very strange border.

But if "Huron" did happen I would think that it would stand out as being interesting having the lowest population, the smallest "biggest" city, the least number of citys, I am not sure but probably the least diverse, highest white percentage (factor in many of the minority prison imates that are technicaly UP citizens moving to prisons in the LP), maybe the smallest capitol, one of the least dense (excluding Alaska), the highest percentage of forest?

Old 12-12-2007, 03:25 PM

22,921 posts, read 28,279,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRRAZO View Post
I think it would be cool if it was its own state but will never happen, I thought historically it should have been, or at least part of Wisconson, but its too late now.
Yep. When we were up there, the UP seemed in every way more an extension of Wisconsin than part of Michigan. I've heard talks for years that the UP might go over to Wisconsin, but I doubt it'll ever happen.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:58 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
The first thing to do , is just pretend , that the UP is a separate state , or country. That publicity draws attention , interest , and curiosity's.... A lot of folks don't even know the UP exists. I was once on a vintage car tour of the UP , mostly people of means , from the Detroit area. You wouldn't believe how many had never been to the UP , even though , they had traveled the world over.
First , we create a Yooper Flag., then , a Governor , ambassador, etc , all , in fun, but , pretend to be serious. .... Key West has done this , and , it helped tourist attractions to the area. The UP is a lot like Key West, a remote place , like no other in the USA, independent population, a little crazy , and......its on the other end of US 41 , how about that ?

Old 12-13-2007, 12:23 AM

760 posts, read 2,441,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
First , we create a Yooper Flag., then , a Governor , ambassador, etc , all , in fun, but , pretend to be serious. .... Key West has done this , and , it helped tourist attractions to the area. The UP is a lot like Key West, a remote place , like no other in the USA, independent population, a little crazy , and......its on the other end of US 41 , how about that ?
<thinks about what's happened to Key West over the last 50 years........>

NEVERMIND! Da U.P. should absolutely remain a part of Michigan!! From here on out, I will quit talking about how beautiful da U.P. is and will now join the ranks of those who focus on the negatives, all in an effort to keep this area as low populated and beautiful as it is.

Nobody wants to move here!!! It's freezing cold for 8 months out of the year! There are no good paying jobs! There's nothing to do because we're so isolated!! Our biggest export are our children!! Go anywhere but here! Save yourself much misery!!!!!!!!

How am I doing so far???

Old 12-13-2007, 01:13 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeg View Post
<thinks about what's happened to Key West over the last 50 years........>

NEVERMIND! Da U.P. should absolutely remain a part of Michigan!! From here on out, I will quit talking about how beautiful da U.P. is and will now join the ranks of those who focus on the negatives, all in an effort to keep this area as low populated and beautiful as it is.

Nobody wants to move here!!! It's freezing cold for 8 months out of the year! There are no good paying jobs! There's nothing to do because we're so isolated!! Our biggest export are our children!! Go anywhere but here! Save yourself much misery!!!!!!!!

How am I doing so far???
Yes , I know , the tee shirt shops on Duvall street, the cruse ships every other day, but , just a block or two away from all that , is , the true Key West............ You have a pertly good description of the frozen waist land , as it is , but, and maybe you have something there.......If we advertise the negative enough, , we then can buy our independence cheap ! .Remember what the US paid for Alaska , you know,Seward's Folly ?............ In that case, I agree , " You wouldn't like it here", to quote Lon Emerick.
The best one , I think , is the road sign. " End of Earth 2 miles , Upper Peninsula 4 miles".........

Old 12-23-2007, 01:01 AM

36 posts, read 151,398 times
I agree we have to keep the UP. I'm glad we lost the toledo strip. I wonder what the ohioans think...

Old 12-23-2007, 06:08 AM

26,496 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zygnoda View Post
I agree we have to keep the UP. I'm glad we lost the toledo strip. I wonder what the ohioans think...
On ESPN they were doing a short thing on the Toledo War in Toledo during the Michigan vs Ohio State football week last year in 2006. Anyways, ESPN asked some guy in Toledo if he had ever heard about the Toledo War, and he said no, but Michigan must have won if Ohio got stuck with Toledo. Kind of funny. At least Ohio gets an extra representative in the house in DC because of the Toledo strips population.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:22 AM

26,496 posts, read 15,079,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRRAZO View Post
I think it would be cool if it was its own state but will never happen, I thought historically it should have been, or at least part of Wisconson, but its too late now.
Well the government made the law that they couldn't divide the Northwest Territory into more than 5 states and the eastern thrid of the UP (Sault Ste Marie) was always a part of the Michigan Territory. So histoircally it couldn't be the 6th state from the Northwest Territory.

Historically, it wouldn't make sense to add the other 2/3rd of the UP onto Wisconsin. In 1837 Wisconsin was a vast territory not yet ready to be a state like Michigan was. The Wisconsin Territory included the following future states: Wisconsin, Minnesota, Iowa, most of North Dakota and a third of South Dakato.

Wisconsin already had way too much land and didn't claim the eastern UP.

Historically speaking, Ohio used its status as a state in 1835-36 to land grab the Toledo Strip away from Michigan and Michigan about to become a new state is ticked off. You have a strip of land left over from the old Northwest Territory that the massive Wisconsin Territory does not claim, in fact no one claims it... It touches Michigan's part of the UP...so historically it makes the perfect fit to give it to Michigan as a reparation for Ohio's land grab.

Old 01-01-2008, 02:29 PM

4 posts, read 7,574 times
keep MI in the US. I would move south if that changed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan