Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 07:43 AM

324 posts, read 654,967 times

Advertisements

I am in Colorado and recently I have run across several people from different parts of Michigan. One thing I noticed is all of them seem to be a combative, angry and aggressive. I think they are nice people, but after awhile I start to wonder why they all have this attitude. I know people from California tend to be more laid back, Texans friendly etc... I never ran across a group of people that happened to be from the same state to be so rude, angry etc...

From picutres I have seen with the exception of Detroit, it looks so beautiful and peaceful near the lakes, so I am confused where this attitude comes from.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:00 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Probably the weather. Michigan has a really moody climate.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:23 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
We round up all the combative, angry, and aggressive people and ship them off to Colorado.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:33 AM

20 posts, read 41,975 times
Michigan is a commuter state since most civilized areas are burbs so you have to drive every where. Since the state is heavily controlled by the motor city economy, you'd expect the citizens to be skilled in operating motor vehicles but alas they are not. Thus driving all the time with bad drivers will transform you into a butt hole. Also the weather is a major factor too as well as all the bad news you hear every morning about Detroit.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:45 AM

792 posts, read 2,323,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freelee View Post
I am in Colorado and recently I have run across several people from different parts of Michigan. One thing I noticed is all of them seem to be a combative, angry and aggressive. I think they are nice people, but after awhile I start to wonder why they all have this attitude. I know people from California tend to be more laid back, Texans friendly etc... I never ran across a group of people that happened to be from the same state to be so rude, angry etc...

From picutres I have seen with the exception of Detroit, it looks so beautiful and peaceful near the lakes, so I am confused where this attitude comes from.
You say that the Michiganders you've met are "combative, angry and agressive" and "rude", but you also say that they are "nice". Please clarify. Maybe some examples would help.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:50 AM

3,082 posts, read 5,436,826 times
I lived in Colorado for five years (2008-2013) and most of the Michiganders I met there were relieved and happy to be out of Michigan. I never experienced any moody, aggressive, or rude Michiganders there. In fact, most people in general seemed very friendly and embracing there. It's beautiful, sunny Colorado where weed is legal...what's there to be angry about?

Old 10-18-2013, 10:53 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,737,180 times
I've noticed it too OP, as someone who was born/raised in Detroit.

The weather is one reason. With Michigan being surrounded by the Great Lakes (lake effect) it tends to see a lot of cloudy days. As a result, the extra boost of energy people would normally receive from the sunlight is lacking for a good part of the year.

Another reason too is the economy. Detroit has been in an economic depression for the past few decades. Michigan as a whole (aside from the mid-late 90s) has also been struggling economically since the oil embargo in the 1970s (which is why Detroit's suburbs have even been stagnant population-wise and economically-speaking).

When money is tight and you don't know if you or your neighbors are going to be able to pay your bills next month, then to see all of the homes and businesses you've been accustomed to fall into disrepair, that will depress and upset you. So you tend to react to things in negatives ways too, as a defense mechanism.

Then if course, the state of Detroit (the state's largest city) doesn't help things either.

Michigan people aren't bad (I try not to label an entire group of people as good or bad), but they have been going through a lot of tough times (which tends to make one tough).

Last edited by 313Weather; 10-18-2013 at 11:04 AM..

Old 10-18-2013, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
You say that the Michiganders you've met are "combative, angry and agressive" and "rude", but you also say that they are "nice". Please clarify. Maybe some examples would help.
Yes, let me put this another way. They seem tense.. very tense.

I find them to be very nice for casual conversation. But they seem to go off for no reason sometimes and just rant or get angry over little things. Most complain about people from back home and honestly I block it out. One mentioned when they went back to visit family she noticed they were loud and rude, but she was used to that and didn't think much about it being there but after being away she didn't like how they acted.

I think Colorado is so laid back and most of our transplants are from California who are the same as us and we get some Texans, but they are just so friendly and happy to be here they are fun and easy to get along with.

Old 10-18-2013, 10:59 AM

Like that TV show hardcore pawn. They are just as bad as the customers you see on that show. Very in your face, love a challenge.

Old 10-18-2013, 11:45 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,840,284 times
Maybe everyone you have met so far is from the NE corner where it seems everybody is in a rush. Those of us who occupy the other 85% of the State are pretty laid-back compared to the Detroit area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan