Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Moving from Michigan, young family addresses differences than single person, good schools, employment opportunities, weather forecast, seasons, economy, cost of living

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2007, 10:24 AM

133 posts, read 357,576 times

Advertisements

What's the difference to moving out or moving back?None really,we are all looking for our own personall paradise here on earth.For some of us,Michigan it heaven on earth,for other's it's their own hell,it is what you make it.Moving back has been an appealing thought to my family,after living here in the desert for a few years.Is Michigan in a bad situation,but it could be worse,a lot worse,trust me.
I spent this thanksgiving looking at my kid's and thinking this move was best for them,now the second thoughts have set in,maybe it's being homesick,maybe not.The bottom line is after you live in Michigan a majority of your life,you become a different breed of person,a more suttle type of person,and big flashy things don't attract you as much as simple things,so before someone jumps off the edge and tries to chase that rainbow,remember,you are in michigan,and,that is the end of the rainbow,where the pot of gold is my friends,don't be hasty to give up the good fight,the right thing to do is never the easy thing to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 10:37 AM

47 posts, read 152,118 times
don't be hasty to give up the good fight,the right thing to do is never the easy thing to do.[/quote]

I would have given up a good fight, only if I was single, but with a young family you kind of think a bit different. Good schools, good cities, clothes on your back, food on the table, etc.
But you are right, when you have lived in Michigan for the most part of your life, you do become a different breed and not to mention what Michigan has to offer (not including the job situation right now). But in the past, it is the end of the rainbow.
Maybe someday we can call Michigan home again

Old 11-28-2007, 11:55 AM

86 posts, read 267,823 times
Ok, guys. In 1996 I left MI for Reno, NV. Then I followed work to NJ and VA, thought I missed MI so came back in 2001. I have to tell you, there are better places to live. I *thought* I was homesick until the first -0 day, then I remembered why I stayed in VA longer than anywhere. I'm ready to haul stakes and head west again, I think if I had went to AZ instead of Reno I would have never left. In any of those places I had an easier time with money, better and more stable job. I like to be outdoors and now it's winter in MI and won't be too many days that working outside will be pleasant. Every now and then it will be sunny and calm and you'll think winter is fine, but mostly the wind blows through you and the clouds won't part for weeks. So if you think you are homesick--think of 15 degrees, 25mph wind, 85% humidity and cloudy for 44 days straight and ask yourself--"what am I missing out on, again?"

Old 11-28-2007, 01:07 PM

84 posts, read 364,203 times
Yeah but for me, fifteen degrees, 25 MPH wind, high humidity and clouds aren't what makes it, or makes it not, Home. It's other, less tangible things: history, family, life experiences. I could complain (and often do) about the heat out here in Phoenix as much as I did about Winter in Michigan. It didn't matter, I was still stuck inside the house racking up energy bills (not that I had to stay in the house in either case).

But Arizona, after 22 years, still doesn't give me that bedrock feeling of belonging I had in Michigan, where I was born and raised, whether the times were good or bad.

I still, every now and then (did it this morning) reflexively call streets by my house now by the names of streets near where I lived in Michigan. Dunno why I do that; it's weird.

Old 11-28-2007, 01:44 PM

47 posts, read 152,118 times
Grew up in Houston,TX. Moved to Michigan when I was 15. Just left 4 months ago and think about Michigan just about everyday. We are now Wichita, KS, KS? I never thought in a million years that I would be here, but that's were the work is so we are here for now. just going along with the flow of things.
Things will get better back home, it will take a few years but the economy will come back, have faith and a positive attitude towards the future.
Don't move if you don't have to, trust me.

Old 11-29-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwingsfan19 View Post
Don't move if you don't have to, trust me.
Sorry, gotta go... first I got downsized, then I can't find anything else, then I get offered 4 hrs per day at minimum, I have figured out what I am supposed to be doing now is figuring out where to be the rest of my life. I have had nothing but trouble with money living here, while ANYwhere else I was fine. I envy you, knowing where "home" is, I'm still looking for mine...

Old 11-29-2007, 11:39 AM

8 posts, read 24,398 times
Default land purchase in the up

I am looking at 17 acres nw of newberry. I haven't seen the land yet but the price is right. my husband and son love to camp and fish. what is the area like?

Old 11-29-2007, 11:55 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,392,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rutha1105 View Post
Ok, guys. In 1996 I left MI for Reno, NV. Then I followed work to NJ and VA, thought I missed MI so came back in 2001. I have to tell you, there are better places to live. I *thought* I was homesick until the first -0 day, then I remembered why I stayed in VA longer than anywhere. I'm ready to haul stakes and head west again, I think if I had went to AZ instead of Reno I would have never left. In any of those places I had an easier time with money, better and more stable job. I like to be outdoors and now it's winter in MI and won't be too many days that working outside will be pleasant. Every now and then it will be sunny and calm and you'll think winter is fine, but mostly the wind blows through you and the clouds won't part for weeks. So if you think you are homesick--think of 15 degrees, 25mph wind, 85% humidity and cloudy for 44 days straight and ask yourself--"what am I missing out on, again?"
LOL

Go enjoy 5 months of 100 degrees and up, no rain, no clouds, uncertain water future, rampant skin cancer, venomous critters, obnoxious crime, out-of-control illegal immigrant problems, worst schools in the USA.

Winter weenies are hilarious. Youd rather deal with all the above-mentioned crap just so you dont have to deal with a cold winter? Laughable, IMO. Utterly laughable.

Old 11-29-2007, 12:16 PM

84 posts, read 364,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellyann View Post
I am looking at 17 acres nw of newberry. what is the area like?
Cold. Beautiful. Where ya coming from? Might make a difference.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
LOL

Go enjoy 5 months of 100 degrees and up, no rain, no clouds, uncertain water future, rampant skin cancer, venomous critters, obnoxious crime, out-of-control illegal immigrant problems, worst schools in the USA.

Winter weenies are hilarious. Youd rather deal with all the above-mentioned crap just so you dont have to deal with a cold winter? Laughable, IMO. Utterly laughable.
You know what? I don't care if YOU don't like AZ, I have visited many times and I DO. I need to be outside. I have been cooped up inside all week because the wind has been howling and the 1" of snow we got last Sun is pounded down into ice on the dirt roads and it's too slippery to walk, much less ride my horse. It's not even Dec yet and I'm looking at 4 months of looking out the window wishing there were something to do outside. When I do go out and feed/clean the horses, I'm cold. When I can get work I am doing a job that is outside all day, so call me a weenie, but I'm going to live the way *I* want--you enjoy your winters, but I know enough that I can enjoy myself elsewhere. I love people who work inside and go out to "play" calling those who spend all day outside "weenies".

I thought those venomous creatures were not to be feared? You seem to like to make fun of people who don't like those, either.

I don't care about schools, I only have 4 legged children. Illegals are a problem EVERYWHERE and will soon be out of control EVERYWHERE, so I figure I'll have a jump on learning to deal with it.

Obnoxious crime-hah. Like that isn't everywhere, too.

Last edited by rutha1105; 11-30-2007 at 11:55 AM.. Reason: more thoughts!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan