Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 12:27 AM

3 posts, read 81,162 times

Advertisements

I will be going to U of M - Dearborn soon and am moving from Ohio. I need advice on locating an apartment that is not too far from campus but is SAFE and affordable. Safety is my biggest concern at this point. We (my husband and I) don't want to spend over 800 in rent a month - we aren't looking for anything too big either.

How safe is dearborn...is there any place around campus thats safe to live at?

Are there any sites that have local job listings for Dearborn? How are the job opportunities there?

Finally, how is the campus? Is it big, does it have a good rep - please feel free to share any personal experience.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 04:55 AM

362 posts, read 1,503,243 times
I grew up in Dearborn and prior to Fairlane Town Center opening years ago, it was the safest place to live. Not so much any more. I think you're going to be hard pressed to find an apartment less than $800 -- rents run more along the $1000 line. There are some older apartments on Brady -- behind campus and across the Rouge River -- that MAY be in your price range, but I can't say for sure. You might want to search for apartments in Dearborn Heights (just across Ford Road) where rents MAY be a bit cheaper, but I'm not sure. Dearborn Heights has been trying to compete with the city of Dearborn for years, ever since they changed their name from Dearborn Township.

The campus is small, compared to the sprawling campus of U-M in Ann Arbor. It shares the same tract of land with Henry Ford Community College. The campus is directly across the street from Fairlane Town Center (the shopping center). The campus is close to shopping, restaurants, hotels (Ritz Carlton and the Hyatt), entertainment, the public library, etc. Michigan Avenue is the main thoroughfare in Dearborn with all the shopping, car dealers, etc.

As far as jobs, the main employer in Dearborn is Ford Motor Company and they are suffering from the same recession that the auto industry is experiencing in the rest of the state. This IS the home of Henry Ford and they live that every day. There are, of course, other jobs in Dearborn, but as the auto industry fluctuates, so do the other jobs. If the auto workers don't have jobs, they're not spending money at the other establishments.

Good luck in your search. Dearborn is still "home" to me and always will be.

Old 11-04-2007, 07:36 AM

Thanks Trinkit for the thorough response.

I figured that apts would be expensive there - but what do students do then? I know they must have something for student housing or such. My brother (who goes to U or M - Ann Arbor) told me that MAYBE some of the nicer/expensive apts would have studios/lofts or very small one bedrooms that we can end up getting for around $800 - it will be a hugh sacrifice (here in Columbus we have a 2 bed/2 bath luxury apt for less than $800!) - but the main point is that both my husband and I are going back to school and we don't mind the sacrifice for the next few yrs - we can enjoy life later.

I read other places on the board about how Michigan Ave is not safe at all. If Campus is in the surrounding, does that mean that its not really a safe area either? You also mentioned Brady - is this a "good" area?

Old 11-04-2007, 07:59 AM

362 posts, read 1,503,243 times
Switching from a Buckeye to a Wolverine?! Excellent choice! (Just a little interstate rivalry humor there. LOL)

I would actually consider ALL of Dearborn (with the exception of the far east portion of the city -- which is NOT near the campus) as a "safe" area. Unless things have changed at UM-Dearborn, it is considered a "commutable" campus -- meaning there is no student housing. (Sidebar: when UM-Dearborn was first built in the late 60's it was only for the junior and senior years -- the thinking was that students would complete their freshman and sophmore years at Henry Ford Community College, right next door.) The majority of the students come from the local areas, so they already have housing. Have you contacted the school with regards to housing?

Your mention of Michigan Avenue not being safe must refer to where Michigan enters Detroit (at Wyoming -- the east end of Dearborn, which I mentioned previously). THAT part of Michigan Ave is not safe, but it's about 8-10 miles away from campus.

To let you in on a bit about Dearborn's history: it is actually TWO cities, combined into one, divided by Southfield Freeway (previously Southfield Road, prior to 1965). West Dearborn, where the campus is, is safe. East Dearborn is a bit less so. Originally Dearborn was Fort Dearborn and Springwells and combined into one city long ago, but it has maintained the 2 distinct atmospheres.

West Dearborn is a bit more upscale with larger homes and is more of an upper middle class neighborhood. East Dearborn has many beautiful older homes and was originally home to many Italian immigrants, now home to many of Arabic decent (sp?). East Dearborn is also where the world-famous Rouge Plant is so many of the residents were factory workers at the Rouge. West Dearborn was home to Ford engineers and executives -- there is even a neighborhood where Henry Ford I (the ORIGINAL Henry) built homes for his Ford executives. It's also where Fair Lane (note the two words) is on the banks of the Rouge River, Henry Ford's estate, which is now owned and maintained by UM-Dearborn. If you get a chance, it is a must-see -- as well as Greenfield Village and Henry Ford Museum.

There has been much talk that Dearborn is "Ford Country" and for good reason: all vacant land in Dearborn is owned by Ford Land, the development arm of FoMoCo. Ford's World Headquarters (the "Glass House") is at the corner of Southfield and Michigan Avenue.

Yes, Brady is in a safe area -- the apartment building that I mentioned was built probably in the 40's, but I'm not sure about the rent scale there.

I hope this all helps. As I mentioned in my earlier post, Dearborn is "home" to me and my heart is still there. Enjoy your stay there because there is much to offer. Be sure to visit the Henry Ford Centennial Library (on Michigan Ave next to the police station) as it has some of the best resources available in the area.

Old 11-04-2007, 01:09 PM

999 posts, read 4,528,780 times
The Brady Apartments are nasty. You don't want to live there.

These (Springwells Park) were built in the 30's and are in a nice area of East Dearborn known as "The Foundation". Many middle managers at Ford lived there from the 20's on. This neighborhood is right next to the Tournament Players Club of Michigan, where they used to have the Seniors Tournament. It's a safe area, but I've heard that they are now renting those apartments as "subsidized".
Apartments.com - Community Glance

These are in the West End near Telegraph, South of Michigan. Also a safe area. Also an easy 5 or 10 minute max drive from U of M Dearborn.

These are in Fairlane Woods. Very nice gated community with a clubhouse, pool, etc. This is right across Evergreen from U of M. You could walk from here. In addition to the apartments and condos, there are upscale homes in here too:

These are OK too, but I'd rather live in Fairlane Woods. Lots of dancers living in this complex:

Also a safe area, and closer to Downtown West Dearborn and a 5 minute drive from U of M. You could ride a bike from here:

Good luck

Old 11-04-2007, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by and the View Post

These are OK too, but I'd rather live in Fairlane Woods. Lots of dancers living in this complex:

Good luck
Thanks and the! Thats very helpful. I like the above ones (Fairlane Meadow Luxury Townhomes and Apartments) the best from the list because they are within budget plus have washer and dryers in the unit (a huge plus!). Does anyone know more about these apartments? How safe are they, what are the neighbors like, what can be expected on monthly utility bills, etc?

Its REALLY HARD to move to something where you pay MORE for LESS - I mean I pay so much less here for so much more - I know eventually it will be worth it, but its still hard to swallow.

Old 11-04-2007, 05:47 PM

The Fairlane Woods apartments are very nice. It's very safe and the gates are always closed. You need a code to get in. There are pretty expensive patio homes and condos in the development, probably up to $500,000.00 at least. The clubhouse is also very nice. You won't be disappointed in that development. Lots of high profile people live in that development. Pro sports guys, corporate business execs, local business owners, doctors, lawyers etc. They may not live in the apartments, but the apartments are right across the street from the big patio homes and condos. Fairlane Town Center mall, the Hyatt, The Ritz Hotel, TGI Fridays and the more upscale Big Fish restaurant (with bands on the patio on Wednesdays in the Summer) are all in walking distance, as is U of M D.

Not sure what you'd pay for utilities or what is included.

Old 11-05-2007, 07:31 PM

580 posts, read 1,681,450 times
If you have a car, you wont have to worry about staying right next to campus. Then prices may drop... what a relief although you have to keep in mind staying near campus may be more safer.

Old 11-06-2007, 08:02 AM

2 posts, read 29,192 times
Dearborn is a small community located right outside of Detroit. Less than ten minutes depending where your traveling from. It is relatively safe but is known for having racially charged incidents occur quite often.

Dearborn is primarily and Arab-American community, in fact there are more Middle-Eastern residents residing in Dearborn, Michigan than anywhere else in the WORLD outside of the Middle East of course. Michigan Ave is the most popular street in Dearborn there you will find buildings that have Chaldean or Arabic writing scribed over them, alot of middle eastern cuisine and shops.

There are some very nice areas in Dearborn though especially in Dearborn Heights which is right on the outskirts, you will probably find apartments ranging from $800.00-$1200.00, renting a home will be a little more.

Old 11-06-2007, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Dearborn is a small community located right outside of Detroit. Less than ten minutes depending where your traveling from. It is relatively safe but is known for having racially charged incidents occur quite often.

Dearborn is primarily and Arab-American community, in fact there are more Middle-Eastern residents residing in Dearborn, Michigan than anywhere else in the WORLD outside of the Middle East of course. Michigan Ave is the most popular street in Dearborn there you will find buildings that have Chaldean or Arabic writing scribed over them, alot of middle eastern cuisine and shops.

There are some very nice areas in Dearborn though especially in Dearborn Heights which is right on the outskirts, you will probably find apartments ranging from $800.00-$1200.00, renting a home will be a little more.
I wouldn't call Dearborn a "small" community. Population is right around 100,000. That more than doubles during the day. The city says "triples" but that's probably a little optimistic.

There are very few Chaldeans in Dearborn, most are Lebanese. The Arab population is large, but certainly not "predominant", or "primary". There are more people of Polish and Italian heritage in Dearborn than Arab. I also wouldn't say there are "often" incidents that are "racially charged". Dearborn has a segregationist and even racist reputation due to its mayor of 40 years, Orville Hubbard, who has been gone for 25 years. The racial hucksters try to capitalize on this reputation when it suits their agenda. That's all there is to it.

There are far more nicer areas in Dearborn than Dearborn Heights, and there always have been. The only area's of Dearborn Heights that could reasonably be considered "nicer" than some areas of Dearborn are bounded by Cherry Hill, Inkster, Ford Road and Gulley. There are two other subs that MAYBE fit that bill. The River Oaks area off of Evergreen/Ann Arbor Trail and Ford Road, which is pretty much surrounded by Detroit, and the University sub, off of Ann Arbor Trail. Dearborn is generally more desirable. The rest of Dearborn Heights is comparable or lower end than Dearborn. The "nicer" areas of Dearborn Heights are probably populated by as many, or more people of Arab heritage per capita than Dearborn if that makes a difference to you.

The city has been historically divided geographically and culturally, by the Southfield Freeway, which cuts the city in half. The east side has always been more blue-collar and immigrant than the west side. Dearborn was the only city in Wayne County besides Canton to have increased in population in the last census. You will have relatively no worries living there with your husband while attending U of M Dearborn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan