Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2014, 09:18 AM

2,065 posts, read 1,864,413 times

Advertisements

OP, you sound like a very young teen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2014, 10:06 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgkeith View Post
OP, you sound like a very young teen.

And you are a narrow minded old person who doesn't know how to appreciate life's adventures outside of this dull state.

Have a nice day.

Old 10-14-2014, 10:36 AM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
So then this is not about jobs for you? Based on your last statement you clearly have a general dislike for Michigan.

Old 10-14-2014, 11:52 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
Good for you! I'm glad you're happier where you are. But they still have funky winters in Illinois, so unfortunately, that state never entered my mind for relocation consideration.
Southern Illinois has pretty mild winters... its usually 10-20 degrees warmer than Chicago and has 1/4 of the total snowfall.

Old 10-14-2014, 12:11 PM

5,296 posts, read 6,065,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Southern Illinois has pretty mild winters... its usually 10-20 degrees warmer than Chicago and has 1/4 of the total snowfall.
I don't think it matters this person won't be happy anywhere. The type that moves to Phoenix for the sun, but then didn't read the label that it's 100+ from the beginning of May thru October.

Old 10-14-2014, 01:36 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,842,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nephler View Post
Having sunny skies every day of the year would become very boring.

I think so. But I also think there's a middle ground between having sunny days 365 days per year and the unbelievable number of gray days common in Michigan (and large parts of the Great Lakes region generally).

BTW, I lived in SE Michigan for 14 years, and I'm originally from another Great Lakes city, so I know what I'm talking about.

OP, if you feel you're ready for a change for whatever reason, go and enjoy yourself. Life is too short not to have some adventure. Best of luck to you.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Yes, last winter destroyed a part of me. No lie. It was dangerous weather too. For someone moving to MI from a southern state, it may have been a fun adventure to you because it was all new to you. Hopefully future winters will be fun for you too. But I've had it.
I know exactly what you mean. After 40+ years of winters, I'd had ENOUGH, so we moved to TN 3 years ago (well, plus my husband got a good job offer).

Perhaps it's seasonal affective disorder, but all I know is that every year, starting sometime in November, I could feel myself begin to sink into myself. I don't know how else to explain it. Ordinarily, I'm an active, energetic person, but a lethargy would overtake me as the winter rolled on, and I wouldn't start to feel like myself again until the first signs of spring in March or April.

I'm very health conscious and a big exerciser, so, yes, I continued to eat healthfully and always worked out through the winters (indoors and out), but the lethargy definitely got in the way of my routine. I found, too, that this annual affliction was getting worse as I got older. Here in TN, there are 4 seasons, and the sun doesn't shine as much in the winter as during the rest of the year. But it shines more than it does in SE Michigan, and what a difference I feel!

I will add that I always loved a bright, sunny, crisp winter day when fresh snow covers everything (particularly around the holidays). Just LOVED days like that, and like the other poster said, I miss them every once in a while (ONLY once in a while ). But, really, how often do we get winter days like that around the Great Lakes? The sun barely appears all winter.

Last edited by newdixiegirl; 10-14-2014 at 02:14 PM..

Old 10-14-2014, 02:43 PM

1,596 posts, read 2,059,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newdixiegirl View Post
I know exactly what you mean. After 40+ years of winters, I'd had ENOUGH, so we moved to TN 3 years ago (well, plus my husband got a good job offer).

Perhaps it's seasonal affective disorder, but all I know is that every year, starting sometime in November, I could feel myself begin to sink into myself. I don't know how else to explain it. Ordinarily, I'm an active, energetic person, but a lethargy would overtake me as the winter rolled on, and I wouldn't start to feel like myself again until the first signs of spring in March or April.

I'm very health conscious and a big exerciser, so, yes, I continued to eat healthfully and always worked out through the winters (indoors and out), but the lethargy definitely got in the way of my routine. I found, too, that this annual affliction was getting worse as I got older. Here in TN, there are 4 seasons, and the sun doesn't shine as much in the winter as during the rest of the year. But it shines more than it does in SE Michigan, and what a difference I feel!

I will add that I always loved a bright, sunny, crisp winter day when fresh snow covers everything (particularly around the holidays). Just LOVED days like that, and like the other poster said, I miss them every once in a while (ONLY once in a while ). But, really, how often do we get winter days like that around the Great Lakes? The sun barely appears all winter.

Thank you!

My friend in Toronto, which has similar weather to SE Michigan, realized that the depressing late Fall and the whole bitterly cold winter months was affecting his mood. He has the money, so he and his partner bought a gorgeous home in Palm Springs with a pool (they invited me to visit in January! ). They will be there from Oct to November, and come back up to Toronto for spring-summer. The best of two worlds really. I find on this damp, sunless day today that I'm in a 'meh' kind of mood. And there will be many more of these days in Michigan, and with the Lord willing, I don't want to spend the next 40+ years of my life in this environment having 'meh' days. I know that based on some snide comments in this thread, some people are highly offended that I'm going to move from this grey sky state, get over it, the truth hurts. Back in the day, I felt a little put off when people commented about how dreary and dull Michigan is as they planned to moved away. Now it's my time to move on too.

Old 10-14-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Thank you!

My friend in Toronto, which has similar weather to SE Michigan, realized that the depressing late Fall and the whole bitterly cold winter months was affecting his mood. He has the money, so he and his partner bought a gorgeous home in Palm Springs with a pool (they invited me to visit in January! ). They will be there from Oct to November, and come back up to Toronto for spring-summer. The best of two worlds really. I find on this damp, sunless day today that I'm in a 'meh' kind of mood. And there will be many more of these days in Michigan, and with the Lord willing, I don't want to spend the next 40+ years of my life in this environment having 'meh' days. I know that based on some snide comments in this thread, some people are highly offended that I'm going to move from this grey sky state, get over it, the truth hurts. Back in the day, I felt a little put off when people commented about how dreary and dull Michigan is as they planned to moved away. Now it's my time to move on too.

Toronto is my hometown, and, yep, the weather is almost identical to that of SE Michigan.

Palm Springs sounds wonderful. Have fun in January!

Old 10-15-2014, 08:11 AM

447 posts, read 496,166 times
Quote:
Back in 1997, I moved to Maryland without having a job lined up - talk about being young and ballsy. I was able to secure a job inside one week. But nope, I won't do that for California these days, I'm planning the move big time, and doing lots of pre-planning. I reckon that's the worst state to move to without having a job lined up first.
It was easy finding a job everywhere in 1997. If my memory is correct, Ann Arbor's unemployment rate in the mid and late 90's hovered around 2.5%.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan