Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2014, 03:17 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,983,189 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
Do not let the weigh stations beings closed fool you.

Just this week both me and my husband noticed many MDOT cops on the roads.

Any one of them can pull a truck over and weigh them.
And what fraction of a fraction of a fraction of trucks does MDOT pull over?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2014, 03:45 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
And what fraction of a fraction of a fraction of trucks does MDOT pull over?
Plenty.

I have been pulled over three times.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:01 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,603,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
So long as trucks pay a proportionate amount in taxes as the damage they create I have no issue, including those coming into this state. But when I see weigh stations closed all the time you have to wonder if we're supporting, in effect, tax breaks to the transportation industry.
If Michigan is providing a tax break to the transportation industry then it's doing a bad job at putting more trucks on our roads.

Old 11-15-2014, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by impala096 View Post
Michigan has the 6th highest gasoline tax burden yet ranks dead last in per capita road expenditures. Where is all the tax money going? We're paying for a filet mignon but end up with a McDouble

Raw Data: Michigan is dead last for highway expenditures per capita | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
The "combined taxes" included in this map includes sales tax which doesn't go directly into road funding. It is only the 18-19 cent gas tax that fully goes into road funding.

Michigan sales tax: Where does the revenue go? And what could an increase mean for road funding? | MLive.com

Old 11-15-2014, 05:34 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,860,382 times
Quote:
Michigan has the 6th highest gasoline tax burden yet ranks dead last in per capita road expenditures. Where is all the tax money going? We're paying for a filet mignon but end up with a McDouble

Raw Data: Michigan is dead last for highway expenditures per capita | Detroit Free Press | freep.com
That Freep census stat was from 2011, when Michigan was still in the death throes of its worst recession in history. Fuel tax revenues may have been down because a) a lot of people out of work not driving around b) a lot fewer trucks driving goods around.

Also, just because something has a higher tax "rate" doesn't mean you'll get higher revenue. If whatever it is you're taxing is consumed less, than you get a lower revenue. I really don't expect a reporter at today's newspapers to grasp that simple concept though.

Nobody cares that we have the 6th highest gas tax rate in the country. If we had the 6th worst education system in the country, like Georgia or North Carolina, then you should be worried. That's hard to fix.

Old 11-15-2014, 05:35 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,860,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by animatedmartian View Post
The "combined taxes" included in this map includes sales tax which doesn't go directly into road funding. It is only the 18-19 cent gas tax that fully goes into road funding.

Michigan sales tax: Where does the revenue go? And what could an increase mean for road funding? | MLive.com
Exactly.

Old 11-16-2014, 10:48 AM

7,072 posts, read 9,623,509 times
Quote:

Exactly. Notice how Ohio has better roads with less money. Also notice how Ohio can fund I-75 road repairs but Michigan cannot.

When Engler raised the state gas tax, the roads were supposed to get fixed but never did.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Exactly. Notice how Ohio has better roads with less money. Also notice how Ohio can fund I-75 road repairs but Michigan cannot.

When Engler raised the state gas tax, the roads were supposed to get fixed but never did.
Ohio's gas tax is 28 cents. There's no other taxes that contribute to road funding.

Old 11-16-2014, 01:24 PM

497 posts, read 554,351 times
Ohio is a good comparison. According to the American Petroleum Institute, Ohio drivers are taxed 46.4 cents on a gallon of gas while Michigan drivers are taxed 57.4 cents. How much of the money actually ends up back in transportation?

Ohio = 46.4 cents of 46.4 cents (100%)
Michigan = 37.4 cents of 57.4 cents (65%)

Ohio drivers are taxed 11 cents less yet their per-capita funding for highway construction and repairs is 39% higher than Michigan ($154 in Michigan vs. $214 in Ohio).

Old 11-17-2014, 06:11 AM

2,050 posts, read 5,946,856 times
Along the same line, why can't we fix roads with a better material? There are other states and countries with the weather conditions like or worse than ours and their roads don't seem to break down as quickly as they do here. It seems to me that we should be looking at different surface composites that can handle the weather; water, snow, heat, freezing, frost. Instead of "patch, patch, patch" let's go back and spend the money and do it correctly so we aren't having to go back and redo it 2 years later.

As for those weigh stations...I have driven many miles in this state and have never seen a truck/bus/trailer being weighed or pulled over anywhere. I wondered why we even had the stations. In other states I've seen traffic back ups and long lines of vehicles going through the stations, with enforcement officers tagging/ticketing those who are not in compliance. One state even weighs tour buses! The 11 axle 44 wheel vehicles can't be good for the roads....maybe they should be paying a road tax for their excess tonnage?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan