Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2016, 08:26 AM

2 posts, read 2,134 times

Advertisements

As an observer as a citizen of Midland, I've come to realize that it will nearly be impossible to rent here. Now, I will say I am 18 years of age and would be moving in with my boyfriend so that kind of helps but the fact of the matter is, rent has skyrocketed. I wasn't expecting to pay 300-500 for rent, I knew that was unrealistic but for most places to average 700-900 in rent alone makes me want to pull my hair out. How do they expect young people to occupy the new apartments they keep building if they are just going to overprice them into the thousands? Yes, I know those apartments are meant for probably Dow workers but honestly, even though its Midland, its overpriced. If there were a lot of attractions here I could maybe understand it more but lets face it, Midland is meant for families and there just isn't many attractions here to offer so why overprice housing that no one will flock to? I don't even make enough to consider moving out but I would like to within the next year or so and seeing all these prices doesn't make my gut feel good. On top of rent, you have to pay utilities, things for the car, groceries etc and that would be near impossible with rents like the ones these people are charging. This whole post is to find people who agree with me and have noticed. Also, I am posting this basically throwing out that I would really like suggestions on places. Most of the cheaper apartments are of course booked up and people are even on waiting lists so that isn't really helpful. I'm willing to pay up to 650 a month on rent and honestly, am at the point where I'd move to Auburn or Sanford or Mt Pleasant etc. just to find a decent place to rent. Only needing a 1 bedroom and 1 bathroom of course.

Thanks(:
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2016, 08:34 AM

2 posts, read 2,134 times
I don't want to add another thread but if anyone knows or has a car for sale within 50 miles of Midland, let me know. I can spend up to around 1500 MAX, I'm not picky so if you know, please leave information/pictures.(:

Old 02-26-2016, 08:35 PM
chh

420 posts, read 653,178 times
In a place like Midland, there's probably somewhat of a shortage of rental properties, but that being said 700-900 isn't that high of rent. In my town, Battle Creek, rent averages somewhere around 700 a month and my city is nothing special at all. I know very little about this topic, but I think if you looked at renting homes it might be a little cheaper.

Old 02-26-2016, 10:18 PM

3,829 posts, read 6,732,618 times
I paid $775 and I had to pay an extra fee for only having a short term (3 month) lease. I think the complex I rented in was in the $500s if you signed a year lease. It was on Saginaw Rd not far from the high school. This was in 2014.

And, even, $700-900 is decent for rent. Not compared to the rest of mid-Michigan, but you aren't dealing with the crime.

Old 02-28-2016, 05:23 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,064,729 times
$700-$900 doesn't seem too bad for a 2 bedroom in a new building. If you think that's bad, wait until you see what rent looks like in large coastal cities (East Coast, West Coast) and many other cities in-between.

Old 03-07-2016, 08:55 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,591,523 times
Unfortunately those rents are average for most places in Michigan. If you dig enough you can probably find something kind of crappy for $550 or so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan