Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2017, 06:35 AM

5 posts, read 6,827 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone, I'm looking to move to either Orion Twp, Independence, Oxford or Brandon Fwp and I was wanting to know how the safety is? I currently live in Macomb county, near Chesterfield, but have a long commute with my job now in Auburn Hills. This would be my first home and I would be living alone, so I really want a location that is very safe.

I was looking in Rochester Hills for homes but I feel I would get more for my money in these locations.

Any advice and suggestions would be great! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2017, 10:53 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Do not know a lot about them.

I know Oxford has a really fancy/nice high school. They had trouble paying for it, but that is probably way behind them by now.

The law firm I was with until a yer or so ago had an office for a while in Lake Orion. Neat place, quiet, small towny. Everyone seemed to know each other.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:19 AM

8,414 posts, read 7,407,792 times
All four townships are about the same in terms of safety. I have family members that live in Oxford and Orion townships and there's almost no crime to speak of. The local paper, Lake Orion Review, usually publishes the police logs for Orion township and the Village of Lake Orion; the worst that shows up are accounts of people's cars occasionally being broken into, a few domestic disputes, and some warrants being served. Pretty tame stuff.

Old 01-19-2017, 11:22 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,940,815 times
All perfectly safe areas.

These areas are the northern fringe of Metro Detroit suburbs and exurbs.

Nice areas that are more sprawly in nature with most of the retail/commerical/restaurant areas all clustered along M-24 Lapeer Road, or I-75 interchanges.

Housing ranges from 1950s/1960s era sprawling ranches with some acreage to new-build McMansions.

Some of the lakefront properties in the area used to be cottages but there almost all used for primary residence now inclusing some massive new construction on some lakes.

Areas has a pretty broad mix of middle-middle class, upper-middle class, to lower-upper class socio-economically.

Commuting to Auburn Hills is reasonable, although expect back-ups on Friday evenings with all the Up North traffic and/or when big concerts at DTE in the summer. I wouldn't recommend living up there if you expect to ever work in places south of Troy since I-75 from M-59 to 8 Mile is going to be under reconstruction for the next 15-20 years.

Old 01-20-2017, 04:46 AM

5 posts, read 6,827 times
Are there any parts of Rochester Hills to avoid?

Old 01-20-2017, 04:51 AM

8,414 posts, read 7,407,792 times
My nephew lived in Rochester Hills, in an apartment complex near Oakland University. Because of some college students who lived there, it tended to be somewhat rowdy occasionally. Of course, if you're buying a house in Rochester Hills, there probably aren't going to be a lot of drunken frat boys near by.

Old 01-20-2017, 07:09 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gharris1994 View Post
Are there any parts of Rochester Hills to avoid?
Depends on your perspective. To me conformity is a disease. I avoid all parts of RH so I do not get infected. Other opinions vary.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan