Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 06:42 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times

Advertisements

It's too bad that so many people waste time thinking the grass is greener elsewhere. Many don't realize how wonderful it is here with the transformation of the seasons, lakes, and lush trees and greenery everywhere.

Many people love living down south too, for some, like the poster above it really is a better fit, and I applaud him for changing his life for the better. for most people moving to a warm climate isn't going to change their happiness level. The problem is people automatically think that life is so much better without cold winters. A lot of times people end up feeling this way because they take a vacation during the winter and see everyone relaxing in shorts and it feels like heaven. What they don't realize is that if you move to Florida you still have to get a job, you won't be going to the beach every day, and once you move there, you are there the whole year including the hot humid summers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 07:27 PM

428 posts, read 800,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by detshen View Post
It's too bad that so many people waste time thinking the grass is greener elsewhere. Many don't realize how wonderful it is here with the transformation of the seasons, lakes, and lush trees and greenery everywhere.

Many people love living down south too, for some, like the poster above it really is a better fit, and I applaud him for changing his life for the better. for most people moving to a warm climate isn't going to change their happiness level. The problem is people automatically think that life is so much better without cold winters. A lot of times people end up feeling this way because they take a vacation during the winter and see everyone relaxing in shorts and it feels like heaven. What they don't realize is that if you move to Florida you still have to get a job, you won't be going to the beach every day, and once you move there, you are there the whole year including the hot humid summers.
Exactly. People here are always like "Why did you move from California to Michigan?" What they don't realize is Cali isn't everything you see on T.V. Sure it's beautiful by the beach but only a small percentage of people can afford to live there. Going inland, the landscape and mountains are beautiful but it is only green there for about 2 months of the year and the rest of the time it's brown if it's not watered. Plus the heat is like an oven for about 2/3rds of the year.

I've also lived in south TX and OK and like someone else has said you could not pay me enough to do it again! The heat is like nothing else...even worse than CA due to the overwhelming humidity. It goes on for months and months with no seeming end! And don't get me started with all the bugs and critters, poisonous and otherwise!

Old 08-03-2009, 09:29 AM

364 posts, read 877,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara J Pearson View Post
My familly is overjoyed that I'm moving "back home" as they word it. Need a buyer for my beautiful townhouse in the Greenville, SC area. Closing on a home in MI. next week. I've made a pro and con list for moving and staying. The pro's have it. If I get snowed in I'll take up knitting again, do more research on my pc, begin reading in earnest again. Get back to my journals. Buy a snow shovel, ha. Chrish the smiles on the faces of family when they come to my door and know that I'm finally back where I belong.
Im on vacation in Myrtle Beach right now.....I can tell you that without a doubt I would NEVER leave MI for a place in the south. Im enjoying vacation, dont get me wrong, loving doing all the touristy things in the area, but just driving around outside the city I can tell this is not a placr Id want to live. The humidity is atrocious here (and this is a few degrees below normal for the area no less), the bugs are huge. And to think they get no winter? Ill take MI and 4 seasons thanks!

Old 08-03-2009, 09:47 AM

749 posts, read 2,772,321 times
To each his own eh? I will never leave Michigan,born and raised here, its a love affair that will last forever

Old 08-03-2009, 10:04 AM

6,790 posts, read 8,199,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daddythreepointoh View Post
Exactly. People here are always like "Why did you move from California to Michigan?" What they don't realize is Cali isn't everything you see on T.V. Sure it's beautiful by the beach but only a small percentage of people can afford to live there. Going inland, the landscape and mountains are beautiful but it is only green there for about 2 months of the year and the rest of the time it's brown if it's not watered. Plus the heat is like an oven for about 2/3rds of the year.

I've also lived in south TX and OK and like someone else has said you could not pay me enough to do it again! The heat is like nothing else...even worse than CA due to the overwhelming humidity. It goes on for months and months with no seeming end! And don't get me started with all the bugs and critters, poisonous and otherwise!
I actually did live at the beach (I'm not rich, I lived in an apartment, houses were way out of my reach), the beach doesn't get the heat that they get inland and I still like Michigan better. I'm the happiest I have ever been here, I choose to focus on what I like and let the rest go. People here tend to believe people who tell them how much better it is elsewhere and complain too much, that is the one think I don't like.

Old 08-05-2009, 08:54 AM

519 posts, read 1,377,654 times
Default I agree

I say give me the heat, I live in Ohio and some of the summers here, in the 60's and 70's make me soooooooo mad, I live for the summer so when we don't get one yuck, I like the humidity also!!!! I love the heat, if its not in the 80's or above forget it. I am however cold blooded so the warmer the better. I live in a town of about 900 people, ya wanna talk about boring! We live out in the country so we are away from the people that live in town and live way to close to the inlaws, my hubbies father omg he needs to be on some serious meds, lol. So we are doing everything possible to move south!!!!!

Old 08-05-2009, 10:17 AM

485 posts, read 966,564 times
I'm warm-blooded so I hate the heat. Love this summer in Michigan, almost perfect for me...hate those 90 degree+ type summers. I do enjoy winters for the most part except Feb. and March sure get old. For those who can split for a month or two to more temperate climates during those months are probably the most fortunate. I live in southern mid-Mich. and it's nice but would prefer somewhere north of Clare someday. Michigan is certainly a blessed environment (physically, not economically speaking) and I would rather live nowhere else. I guess it's simply different strokes for different folks.

Old 08-05-2009, 10:59 AM

1,217 posts, read 3,276,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmyInGreatLakes View Post
I'm warm-blooded so I hate the heat. Love this summer in Michigan, almost perfect for me...hate those 90 degree+ type summers. I do enjoy winters for the most part except Feb. and March sure get old. For those who can split for a month or two to more temperate climates during those months are probably the most fortunate. I live in southern mid-Mich. and it's nice but would prefer somewhere north of Clare someday. Michigan is certainly a blessed environment (physically, not economically speaking) and I would rather live nowhere else. I guess it's simply different strokes for different folks.
I'm with you on that one. With the exception of the fact I have a pool not being used in the back yard I have been loving this summer. Been a bit too dry though, I love a good rain once in awhile. I love not needing to use the air and these nice cool nights are great for sleeping with the windows open.

Old 08-05-2009, 02:11 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,820,680 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyflorida70 View Post
I say give me the heat, I live in Ohio and some of the summers here, in the 60's and 70's make me soooooooo mad, I live for the summer so when we don't get one yuck, I like the humidity also!!!! I love the heat, if its not in the 80's or above forget it. I am however cold blooded so the warmer the better. I live in a town of about 900 people, ya wanna talk about boring! We live out in the country so we are away from the people that live in town and live way to close to the inlaws, my hubbies father omg he needs to be on some serious meds, lol. So we are doing everything possible to move south!!!!!
Yes, but you live in Ohio.

Move to Michigan, but not the Southern quarter of the L.P. that is too much like Ohio. Get at least 50 miles into Michigan. It is beautiful here. .

Ohio has no natural lakes.

You would love the heat less after a month of 104+ days and June Gloom. Southern California is best in the spring when it is cooler. Summers cna be miserable except at the beaches, but that comes with its own set of problems. Beautiful and comfrotable, but everyone else thinks so too. .

Old 08-05-2009, 03:08 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,088,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Yes, but you live in Ohio.

Move to Michigan, but not the Southern quarter of the L.P. that is too much like Ohio. Get at least 50 miles into Michigan. It is beautiful here. .

Ohio has no natural lakes.

You would love the heat less after a month of 104+ days and June Gloom. Southern California is best in the spring when it is cooler. Summers cna be miserable except at the beaches, but that comes with its own set of problems. Beautiful and comfrotable, but everyone else thinks so too. .

Isn't Lake Erie natural?

That's an awful big lake to miss.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan