Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2006, 04:49 PM

12 posts, read 83,766 times

Advertisements

Hi, right now I live in Saint Clair Shores and My sister lives in Warren. WE own a couple of homes between us and are looking to liquidate all assets to follow our dream. We are involved in training/rescuing/showing dogs. We are hoping to buy a "dump of a house" with decent out building(s) and at least 10 acres. We are looking to establish a small 20-30 dog boarding kennel with basic home obedience training and puppy socialization classes as well as beginner confirmaton classes and run throughs. We would like thoughts from all on where you think is a good area to pursue. We are looking from the thumb area across to Kalkaska (we already have 10 acres of hard woods there but does not suit our purpose), and all towns in between. We mostly need open, flat fields as we also do Lure coursing field events with our hounds. We are finding pretty good deals int he Sterling area $79,000. for almmost 15 acres with 3 bedroom manuf. home. Alpena area had some ggod deals as well. we would like to stay in an area of remoteness (for the noise) but also accessible for patrons. Also need a town that is small business friendly that will allow this typw of residence/business. I think I need to stay Agricultural or recreational zoning. Will appreciate all thoughts.

PackLeader.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2006, 03:44 AM

6,191 posts, read 18,161,108 times
Just wanted to say hi from another dog lover, I love your plan! You must have sighthounds?
Can't help you much - have you checked properties on URL removed? I've spent lots of time in the Tawas area, real estate is inexpensive all along the lake there, lots of cheap farm-type properties. But, I don't know how good a business base you would have around there.
I'm off to an agility trial for the weekend, have a good one.

Last edited by Yac; 04-29-2006 at 07:21 AM..

Old 04-30-2006, 09:40 AM

Default Tawas is an area of interest

Hi , I didn't get a chance to post yesterday as I was at a Confirmation show. Hope yuo did as good in your agility as we did in breed. (BOB but no group placement ). Were you at birch run? That is where we were. And yes the show dog is a Sighthound - Rhodesian Ridgebacks. I am also involved with Malamutes as well. Waiting for my puppy to be produced. sometime soon I hope.... PLease let me know if you see anything available in that area. I am finding you can get a whole lot for Under 100,000. We absolutely need a frim 10 acres. Thanks for your response.

PackLeader

Old 05-01-2006, 03:45 AM

You did better than we did, congratulations! I was in Grand Blanc with my turbo-Rottweiler. I've done fun matches at Arborroads in A2, I think they are RR people. I know Mal people too, you sure like a challenge LOL.
I don't get up that way much any more; the ex had a house in Harrisville which is why we visited a lot. I just remember there being really a lot of inexpensive farm property. It is fairly economically depressed, not much in the way of employment or tourism compared to some other parts of the state. Lots of vacation property near the lake. I imagine it would not be difficult to find a nice piece of land, but the challenge would be to have a good year-round customer base.
Good luck with your plan, it sounds wonderful!

Old 05-01-2006, 06:19 AM

Default RR poeple

We know Arboroads very well. Mary is a good friend of ours. My sister has her first RR from her. LOL . I think the hunt for a facility has moved very far north. Kalkaska, Cadillac area. Maybe we will see yo uat Mary's.

PackLeader

Old 05-01-2006, 02:21 PM

I'll be the redhead with the big longhaired (really) Rottweiler! Everyone knows my dog.

Old 05-20-2006, 10:28 PM

2 posts, read 7,424 times
Houghton Lake, MI (Prudenville, MI) has an old dog rescue (collie) building for sale on 18 South of town. Call Midge Miginnis at ERA she would probably be able toget you some info. www.midgesells.com (broken link)

Old 07-31-2006, 04:10 PM

35 posts, read 224,030 times
I was born in Alpena but moved out to Calif. when I was 12 with my family. Its a beautiful area but as you say housing is cheap because there are very few jobs available. The winters are brutal too. The people are friendly and I miss the greeness in the summer and the small town life.

Old 08-02-2006, 07:46 AM

4 posts, read 23,109 times
A friend of mine just bought a nice home in Croton/Newaygo area. They have 20 acres and they paid $120,000 I beleive. Newaygo County has soooo much to offer as well. I can give you more details if you want to PM me. I live near there, so I would be glad to help you out. I can also refer you to a great realtor if you wish to go through one.

Old 10-02-2006, 03:23 PM

3 posts, read 10,270 times
hi,

I found your post regarding Newaygo county. I'm interested in checking it out. Would you be able to tell me some things?

Thanks
Craig
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan