Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2018, 02:12 PM

9 posts, read 14,491 times

Advertisements

I called UPPCO about the monthly bills, twice. Was told once 350 average and another time 250 average. Either way, seems kind of high for a home that is mostly natural gas. UPPCO is second most expensive in nation, only behind Hawaii. Looked at another place, heated with wood. Average was listed as 200. Still high for a home that is heated with wood with propane water heater.

Lost of great replies, thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2018, 08:41 PM

3,696 posts, read 2,896,747 times
A lot depends on the size of the home you are heating, how well it is insulated, and what temperature you like to set the thermostat at.

UP winters are not known for being hot so you can expect to run the heat at least Nov-Mar during an average winter depending on where you are.

$350 a month is on the spendy side for natural gas though National Grid also sucks on their prices. We paid $500/mo in winter to heat a townhouse ::

I would say look into you options here. Also if it's possible, see if you can talk with the people who are currently living at the places you are looking at and ask their experiences with heating costs.

The electric company quoted me $220/month to heat this place in winter; the most we've spent in a month since we have been here is $185.

Typically power companies give quotes based on the historical usage at a particular address. I do have a couple of friends in the UP and they pay around 200 bucks a month for heat in the winter but save a lot in the summer, spring and fall since A/C is very rarely needed.

Hopefully someone in the UP can chime in...

Old 08-24-2018, 07:43 AM

214 posts, read 286,237 times
I'd say this: look before you leap.

Does it start snowing and never stop? Well, in the UP it may seem like it. Shoot, it feels like that in SE Michigan sometimes! The average amount of snowfall in Marquette exceeds that in Duluth, Burlington VT, and Fargo ND. So yes, you can count on snow ever day. It will snow before Halloween. It will snow in April. The last of it will melt in May.

Here's a "homegrown" link that shows snow amounts in Marquette county ranging from 155-over 200 inches per year for the last several years. You can expect deep cold temperatures, snow every day, and the notorious Michigan grey winter skies for months on end. Aside from the snow and cold, the grey is NO JOKE.

Upper Peninsula Snowfall totals - How much snow in the Upper Peninsula

Also, Marquette County is subject to lake effect snow, because Lake Superior doesn't completely freeze. This is the reason Buffalo and Erie get hammered so badly by snow every year.

So as others have said, you do need to know what you're getting into. its not for the faint of heart. i love Michigan, but i couldn't live up there.

Weather aside, consider the practical needs of snow removal. Guinn is an unincorporated township so your road maintenance is by the county road commission. Some back roads or side roads may be private roads (common all over Michigan) and residents have to pay for snow removal. You're a healthy 58 but need to plan ahead. Again, we are downstaters, but several storms this past year had my husband (1) upgrading our snow blower and (2) out there with it every 2 hours to keep up.

Oh, and you'll need a generator for the house. Ice storms are worse than snow where power is concerned.

Guinn is a good distance from Marquette and road conditions will impact your ability to get out and about. Think of triple your drive time, or days where roads close due to blowing and drifting. Even a light "skim" of snow can glaze the roads horribly when the wind kicks up. 4 wheel drive is a must...in a LOT of Michigan.

Can we talk about summer?

Gorgeous trees, not too hot, lovely country drives. Black flies that bite (what Michigan has in common with Minnesota!) and mosquitoes that will carry you away. That's unique to the UP too.

Anyway, I don't think anyone here is wanting to discourage you from making the move north, but we want you to make that move with full knowledge that it's rugged country up there and far from what you're used to. Uprooting your home is a ton of work, and nobody wants you to land in a place that you're unhappy. Is there any option to make a visit this winter (even early winter) and stay for a few weeks - long enough to get the feel of it - in the Marquette area?

Old 08-24-2018, 09:52 PM

2,080 posts, read 1,605,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnc99 View Post
I'd say this: look before you leap.

Weather aside, consider the practical needs of snow removal. Guinn is an unincorporated township so your road maintenance is by the county road commission. Some back roads or side roads may be private roads (common all over Michigan) and residents have to pay for snow removal. You're a healthy 58 but need to plan ahead. Again, we are downstaters, but several storms this past year had my husband (1) upgrading our snow blower and (2) out there with it every 2 hours to keep up.

Oh, and you'll need a generator for the house. Ice storms are worse than snow where power is concerned.

Guinn is a good distance from Marquette and road conditions will impact your ability to get out and about. Think of triple your drive time, or days where roads close due to blowing and drifting. Even a light "skim" of snow can glaze the roads horribly when the wind kicks up. 4 wheel drive is a must...in a LOT of Michigan.

Can we talk about summer?

Gorgeous trees, not too hot, lovely country drives. Black flies that bite (what Michigan has in common with Minnesota!) and mosquitoes that will carry you away. That's unique to the UP too.

Anyway, I don't think anyone here is wanting to discourage you from making the move north, but we want you to make that move with full knowledge that it's rugged country up there and far from what you're used to. Uprooting your home is a ton of work, and nobody wants you to land in a place that you're unhappy. Is there any option to make a visit this winter (even early winter) and stay for a few weeks - long enough to get the feel of it - in the Marquette area?

I am thinking of a possible move from Massachusetts to Kalamazoo or Portage or Otsego (maybe Oshtemo) within the next few years. Are the mosquitos and black flies of the UP prevalent in Kalamazoo county as well in spring and/or summer? And are the winter snow conditions as bad as in the UP?

Old 08-25-2018, 08:50 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Regina14 View Post
I am thinking of a possible move from Massachusetts to Kalamazoo or Portage or Otsego (maybe Oshtemo) within the next few years. Are the mosquitos and black flies of the UP prevalent in Kalamazoo county as well in spring and/or summer? And are the winter snow conditions as bad as in the UP?
Mosquitos and black flies are hit or miss in the LP, depending on the area you live in. We live in a pretty wooded rural area with wetlands and the Grand River not far away and I've seen one black fly this summer. Mosquitos were about the same as usual this summer. Definitely if you like to sit outside in the evening you need bug spray on. You can spray for mosquitos too, there are plenty of services that do it. They come out about once a month during the summer.

Old 08-25-2018, 02:23 PM

214 posts, read 286,237 times
True biting black flies are a UP phenomenon. Of course everywhere has mosquitoes, but in the LP you're fine as long as you're not "in" the woods or adjacent to wetlands. It's manageable.

You're further south in K County, of course, so overall snowfall is less...but I'd love someone to weigh in on the lake effect snow there. It's very much a factor in the Grand Rapids area, but I'm less directly familiar with Kalamazoo. That said, lake effect snow commonly extends about 50 miles inland from Lake Michigan.

Far fewer "below zero" days in southern Michigan for sure.

Grey winter skies? Oh yes.

Old 08-25-2018, 04:47 PM

We had the same type biting black flies when I lived in Maine. Horrible. We decided not to go for the place in Gwinn. I put a picture of the back of the house in an HVAC forum to ask about heating with so many windows. What was funny was the number of contractors that commented about how I was asking for problems from wood rot the way the deck was attached to the rear of the home. That and some other issues ruled it out. Probably going to skip the UP move altogether. It will save me a fortune.

Old 09-02-2018, 07:01 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,219,158 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lynnc99 View Post
True biting black flies are a UP phenomenon. Of course everywhere has mosquitoes, but in the LP you're fine as long as you're not "in" the woods or adjacent to wetlands. It's manageable.

You're further south in K County, of course, so overall snowfall is less...but I'd love someone to weigh in on the lake effect snow there. It's very much a factor in the Grand Rapids area, but I'm less directly familiar with Kalamazoo. That said, lake effect snow commonly extends about 50 miles inland from Lake Michigan.

Far fewer "below zero" days in southern Michigan for sure.

Grey winter skies? Oh yes.
Never understood why there are so few houses with screened in porches. I think its a must if you like to sit outside in northern Michigan. Heck southern Michigan. Had one in Battle Creek and loved it. Had a patio too but, mosquitos? Too much hot sun? Rain? Still outside. I had a couch, fan, light, coffee table, small bookcase.

Old 09-03-2018, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Never understood why there are so few houses with screened in porches. I think its a must if you like to sit outside in northern Michigan. Heck southern Michigan. Had one in Battle Creek and loved it. Had a patio too but, mosquitos? Too much hot sun? Rain? Still outside. I had a couch, fan, light, coffee table, small bookcase.
It is strange. Looked at countless homes in the UP and rarely did I see one with a screened porch. Is is something with the snow? Snow get into it and then blocks it all up?

Old 09-03-2018, 05:37 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,900,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Vince View Post
It is strange. Looked at countless homes in the UP and rarely did I see one with a screened porch. Is is something with the snow? Snow get into it and then blocks it all up?
Because Yoopers ain't scart of no dumb skeeter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan