Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2018, 07:21 PM

224 posts, read 298,101 times

Advertisements

My property taxes have gone up 35% over the past six years. Is it just me or do property taxes seem very high in Michigan?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2018, 04:16 AM

28,353 posts, read 16,389,243 times
"Very high" is relative, however. Right?

Michigan ranks 43rd on this list (1 being the lowest):

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...y-taxes/11585/

So, yes, higher rate than most - however, real estate in Michigan is nowhere near the cost of many other areas, on average (Michigan has the 7th lowest median home value from that list).

Old 12-05-2018, 07:53 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,019,718 times
Mine is UP 11% just over this last year. That's because the local school district here in mid-Michigan kept trying to get a $20 million dollar bond in election after election, until it finally passed.

Government really has you by the balls, when it comes to property taxes. Don't pay them, and they take your house away and sell it to somebody else! It's just like paying "Protection money" to the mob.

Old 12-05-2018, 12:36 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,858,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsworth View Post
My property taxes have gone up 35% over the past six years. Is it just me or do property taxes seem very high in Michigan?
Is this on your primary home or a secondary home? Because assessed values are capped at 5% increase per year in Michigan on your primary home. Unless your local area had several millage increases, I'd be surprised if property taxes went up that fast.

Last edited by magellan; 12-05-2018 at 12:59 PM..

Old 12-05-2018, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Mine is UP 11% just over this last year. That's because the local school district here in mid-Michigan kept trying to get a $20 million dollar bond in election after election, until it finally passed.

Government really has you by the balls, when it comes to property taxes. Don't pay them, and they take your house away and sell it to somebody else! It's just like paying "Protection money" to the mob.
This is pretty ludicrous. Of course they can. Otherwise no one would pay and you'd have no police fire, roads, snowplowing, schools would close, your municipality would go bankrupt. If you want to live somewhere where you don't have to pay your property taxes, try Detroit.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:23 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,019,718 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
This is pretty ludicrous. Of course they can. Otherwise no one would pay and you'd have no police fire, roads, snowplowing, schools would close, your municipality would go bankrupt. If you want to live somewhere where you don't have to pay your property taxes, try Detroit.
I never suggested NOT paying property taxes. I simply laid out that they have you over a barrel in forcing you to pay them no matter HOW high they go.

So, even if you supposedly own your house "free and clear" of any mortgage, you can only continue to live in it as long as the government allows you to rent it from them by paying those taxes.

Old 12-05-2018, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I never suggested NOT paying property taxes. I simply laid out that they have you over a barrel in forcing you to pay them no matter HOW high they go.

So, even if you supposedly own your house "free and clear" of any mortgage, you can only continue to live in it as long as the government allows you to rent it from them by paying those taxes.
Property tax increases were capped by Proposal A back in the 90's. You can also appeal your assessments. You can also live in Detroit tax free. You can also claim hardship and get a break. Me personally I love paying property taxes. We have great schools, great parks and a huge trail system, responsive services. It never enters my mind that they could do a sheriff foreclosure on my house because I don't want any of those services and amenities to end, because my property value would plummet. If we're talking all John Galt ****, Ayn Rand was a fraud and a cuckoo.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:15 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,494,303 times
Some parts of the world have nomadic tribes living in portable homes. They probably pay some tax, maybe on livestock they sell. That will be a growing demographic in the US plains region.

Old 12-05-2018, 10:23 PM

46 posts, read 60,746 times
Let's get your facts straight. They only capped the taxable value increases to the inflation rate. There's nothing to stop new millages from being adopted. I don't have a problem with paying for the basic services and necessities. However, I live in area (Washtenaw county) where they think they need to solve all the world's problems and have had millage increases for the last 6 years straight. I'd like to stay in place when I retire, but paying $6K+ a year in property taxes on a 2100 square foot home is just too much. Go ahead and stereotype me as some worthless deplorable who should just move out of the state so you can only be around people who think just like you. I don't really care anymore.

Old 12-06-2018, 03:21 AM

224 posts, read 298,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Is this on your primary home or a secondary home? Because assessed values are capped at 5% increase per year in Michigan on your primary home. Unless your local area had several millage increases, I'd be surprised if property taxes went up that fast.
It is my primary. There have been a lot of millage increases as well as my taxable value has also increased.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan