Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-07-2019, 05:25 PM

12 posts, read 16,919 times

Advertisements

Hi-i am relocating to Troy for a job and have never been to Mi. I am coming from upstate NY and looking for a semi-rural or rural 40-60 commute (if need be) to Troy so that I can live in the country. Does such a place exist surrounding Troy , with a reasonable commute time. And does Troy have a bad rush hour commute? Appreciate any information.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2019, 06:50 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
There are still some rural ish areas in Troy.

As you go north out of Rochester it is pretty rural. Lakeville is pretty empty area, then just keep going north and a little east and it gets more and more open.

Old 12-07-2019, 10:45 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,942,015 times
I grew-up in Troy and live in the area on-and-off until a few years ago. All of the semi-rural areas in Troy are now gone, mostly were gone by the early 2000s. Troy is getting increasingly more and more dense as more of the larger residental parcels are being bought-up and sub-divided.

Anyways, when you say you are looking for semi-rural, what exactly do you mean?
Acreage?
Farmland?
Lot size?

Generally if you want any meaniful land that is quiet and away from neighbors, lights, noise, and quasi-rural you are going to have to look at places in:
Oakland Township
Lake Orion
Oxford
Clarkston
Indenpendence Township

If you want 1.5-3 acre lots thats a lot easier to come-by closer-in.
If you want 5-10-15 acre lots with more land/woods and stuff yes you will have to look farther out.

Within 40-60 minutes that is very do-able

Old 12-08-2019, 05:36 AM

Rural(ish) depends on your definitions. There are still a few areas with houses on 2 acre plus lots where you do not see your neighbor's house most of the year (I know this because a friend lives in such an area). No there are no farms.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:50 AM

Yes, there are areas of "older" Troy that have larger lots. However you are still in Troy and in the midst suburbia of the crazy traffic, even relatively speaking on the weekends. Its not rural in the sense of dirt roads, being able to have farm animals, driving around ATVs, shooting guns/hunting, etc.

If you simply just want a larger lot, with some trees, in a quiet neighborhood, yes you can find this in parts of Troy and Rochester Hills.

If you want acreage, the ability to have livestock, ability to hunt, have large bonfires, be loud and not annoy any neighbors, walk outside in your backyard naked, etc. then you need to look farther north and west.

Northward is generally going to be easier from Troy, if you can access I-75 to M-24, or get over to M-53.
The drive straight-up Rochester Rd and/or just driving northward on the mile roads through Rochester Hills/Rochester during rush hour is painfully slow and congested.

Basically, its starts to get semi-rural in:
Oakland Twp
Washington Twp (filling in fast though)
Lake Orion
Clarkston/Independence Twp
White Lake

If you want to avoid that areas that are most likely to infill with sprawl and stay more rural, you need to look to the places that aren't connected to Detroit Water & Sewer. If they are still on well and septic that generally limits the allure of the overzealous developers and realtor/developer/builder military-industrial complex.

Old 12-09-2019, 02:57 PM

Troy does not allow back yard chickens?

That is rotten.

Chickens are awesome.

Old 12-09-2019, 07:36 PM

You can....have to have an acre sized lot or more and submit some type of permit/waiver.
I remember where there used to be farms all over Troy, well into the late 80s'/early 90's. Now, not so much.

Old 12-10-2019, 10:29 AM

Where our friends live everyone is on large lots (2 acres give or take) and lots of trees. It has a secluded feel when you are there, but busy roads and big stores are only a few blocks away. I think the street is Sussex or Sussex place or something like that. It might be an expensive area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan