Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2020, 07:28 PM

26 posts, read 32,464 times

Advertisements

Bad Axe MI ...Any reason one would not love this little community? Housing seems affordable, smallish but with most amenities - a new Meijers to open....15-20 min to Port Austin.... Years ago lived in the UP, grew up in Farmington, worked in A2’d..... am older now and think the Thumb might be nice...only a couple hours to the D or U of M for specialty medical needs....Lake Huron so close.... wondering if there are obvious reasons to avoid living in the Thumb that I am not thinking of....especially as I’m over 60 now.....eeeek! Otherwise found a nice little house in Bad Axe I may put an offer on...thank you!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2020, 09:06 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvChristmas View Post
Bad Axe MI ...Any reason one would not love this little community? Housing seems affordable, smallish but with most amenities - a new Meijers to open....15-20 min to Port Austin.... Years ago lived in the UP, grew up in Farmington, worked in A2’d..... am older now and think the Thumb might be nice...only a couple hours to the D or U of M for specialty medical needs....Lake Huron so close.... wondering if there are obvious reasons to avoid living in the Thumb that I am not thinking of....especially as I’m over 60 now.....eeeek! Otherwise found a nice little house in Bad Axe I may put an offer on...thank you!!
Consider the Tawas area instead. Do some more research before you buy in Bad Axe.

Old 01-27-2020, 09:30 AM

Default What kind of research sites should I seek?

Not sure what way to direct my research? I did basics.....didn’t find any red flags....

Old 01-27-2020, 09:43 AM

Default What kind of research sites should I seek?

Not sure what way to direct my research? I did basics.....didn’t find any red flags....

Old 01-29-2020, 07:25 AM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,804 times
Its small, its isolated, and likely not going to find it super welcoming to outsiders / new comers.
Its not an economically prosperous area of the state nor near a lot of ammenitites in particular.
To many this is a drawback, but if you know this going in and just are looking for someplace super quiet to do your own thing than sure.

Old 01-29-2020, 04:59 PM

1,149 posts, read 1,590,509 times
It doesn't really offer anything other small towns don't, but it's more isolated. It's empty wasteland for an hour in every direction.

Someone else suggested Tawas. It's equally small, but is much nicer in the summer, as in it has more stuff to do, better scenery, and you're closer to other notable small towns. You're only an hour from Bay City, close to West Branch, Oscoda, Standish, Pinconning, etc. Winters are about the same. Less windy in Tawas. And you're right on the water.

As far as health care, it's a straight shot down to Bay City if Tawas doesn't meet your needs. Bad Axe is more isolated.

Old 01-30-2020, 04:55 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,601,376 times
I like Bad Axe, and I also like the rural “scenery” in the Thumb. But I like agricultural areas, so maybe I’m not normal. Compared to a lot of rural areas, the Thumb tends to be relatively tidy and well kept, even though it’s not a high income area. The little beach towns on Lake Huron aren’t too far from Bad Axe. But yes, it is definitely rural and isolated area.

Old 02-04-2020, 08:15 AM

Thank you everyone for your kind input! Living in a rural area here out West is a bonus as to experience.....so that being said I do appreciate your thoughts....my small town here has a lot run down properties of ancient times - great for photography but that’s about it...so yes I do agree about the tidier rural of the thumb being nicer....here the one store we had - Shopko closed so oddly a Wal-mart and soon Meijer’s is like winning the lottery! Not the shopping Mecca of Scottsdale AZ true....but comparatively the same rush of excitement lol! Tawas sounds pretty and nice ....fact is I love all those up north areas having frequented a lot of towns in the past.... I find the Midwest far and away more soulful and community minded - here it’s often all about the things of cattle, farming in a more isolated cowboy rough way.... Thus far a real home in Michigan is my longing....living up in Paradise years ago has me miss the wonder of the state in all The unique areas...but even isolated small town living in a familiar state where you can hop in a car and visit all of it - wow!

Old 02-14-2020, 03:13 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,491,307 times
I never lived there, but I recall articles about mosquitos carrying viral encephalitis, and the counties' frequent spraying of every bit of standing water in every yard and airplanes spraying general areas.

Old 02-18-2020, 06:36 PM

4,560 posts, read 4,098,262 times
I am from the thumb and just got done working in Yale for the past 3 years. Having liver in Chicago burbs, Tucson and the Soo I think the thumb has lots of good people. Quiet. If my wife could have found work there I wouldn’t leave.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan