Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 06:20 PM

227 posts, read 795,305 times

Advertisements

Well, we avoid rivers cuz one of our best friend's died there a few years ago. We avoid public pools cuz they're so gross. The nearest clean pool we know of is 30 miles away. So no, we don't swim. Plus, I burn. But I like to hike and walk and play ball and it's too hot for that. Just toooooo hot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2008, 01:43 PM

Northerners are considered rude from the viewpoint of a southerner. I miss the rude people. The ones that just simply don't care what you're doing or why you're doing it. Sure, there's some nosey people but you can go in public and have not ONE person speak to you. I was out with my friend and her 3 year old twin girls today and this old guy stopped to talk to the girls.. he stood there forever! This was in the grocery store parking lot. Stuff like that freaks me out. I like it better when they just say, "how cute" and keep walking by or don't say anything at all. lol

Old 06-20-2008, 04:25 PM

98 posts, read 321,426 times
lilbear -

I am very interested to read your posts and thoughts about upstate SC. My fiance and I were considering moving to that area for some time but have recently thought that maybe we want to stay in SE MI. I have heard nothing but good things about that area but everything you are saying is my worst fear - that it will be too hot there for what I like and we won't find jobs as easily as people say we will.

Also, we visited the area, Simpsonville to be excact, last Thanksgiving and while it was nice it was also too hot for that time of year and very similar to where we live now - I couldn't figure out what the hype was about?! Sure, downtown Greenville was nice but not enough of a reason for us to move there.

If you have any other comparisons between SC and MI, good or bad, please share them. We have not yet bought a house in SE MI so we could still pick up and move if we choose and are trying to make that decision soon. Thanks for you thoughts...

Old 06-20-2008, 05:18 PM

418 posts, read 1,785,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilbear View Post
Northerners are considered rude from the viewpoint of a southerner. I miss the rude people. The ones that just simply don't care what you're doing or why you're doing it. Sure, there's some nosey people but you can go in public and have not ONE person speak to you. I was out with my friend and her 3 year old twin girls today and this old guy stopped to talk to the girls.. he stood there forever! This was in the grocery store parking lot. Stuff like that freaks me out. I like it better when they just say, "how cute" and keep walking by or don't say anything at all. lol

I miss the nice people! I miss actually being TALKED to, when I go through the line at the grocery store. Even a simple, "How are you doing today". I hate the keep to yourself attitude so many people have in the north. But then again, I'm not from the north, so I'm not used to it!

Old 06-20-2008, 11:28 PM

1 posts, read 1,523 times
I just HAD to jump on this thread!
I moved from Michigan to South Texas over 14 years ago. I am still homesick for Michigan! Sure, we do visit to see family every few years, but it is really hard to leave my native homeland. (I MISS MEIJERS!)

Texas SUCKS! It is SO HOT! Ya know how you get cabin fever in the winter up there? Well, I get cabin fever here (especially in the summer). It's too hot to go out to do anything. If it doesn't have air conditioning, I'm not going in.

As for lakes, almost all of the lakes in Texas are man made ... and compared to MI they are more like ponds.
I really, really miss the four seasons. I LOVE sweater weather up there in Autumn. Here in South TX, sweater weather is maybe two days out of the year.

Sure, the economy is better here...that's about the only thing.

Oh, and Texans say everything is bigger in Texas...well, here are my observations:

1) The people are DEFINITELY BIGGER in TX.
2) The trees are NOT bigger in TX.
3) The lakes are NOT bigger in TX.
4) The deer are NOT bigger in TX.

So, if you are thinking about moving here, please take your time. Visiting the large cities as a tourist does NOT give you an idea of what it is like to live here. (I live in San Antonio.) If you are going to visit...drive out of your way into the downtown areas as well as the suburbs. Visit the grocery stores, malls, etc.

This place is so overrun with Mexicans, you don't need to visit Mexico. It has come to us. It's a sad day in the U.S. when you ask for help from an employee of a store and they don't even speak English. (Hmmm....illegal alien?) - Yes, this has happened to me numerous times...and I'm not talking about a small town store, but a mass retailer.

That's enough of my rambling for now.

Have a good weekend all! And enjoy your weather

Old 06-21-2008, 12:05 AM

286 posts, read 994,494 times
[quote=lilbear;4158163]I'll take 58 over 100% humidity ANY day myself lol. You can't do ANYTHING outside in the south. I can't even take a nice stroll because all you have to do is stick your head out your front door and you'll begin sweating like a pig.

Yeah thats rough. My wife and I really like to take walks but we don't dare try it until the sun is down. Every time I get in my car the leather burns any part of skin that touches it. And I tend to change my shirt a couple times a day because of sweat. Looking forward to cooler weather.

Old 06-21-2008, 09:26 AM

Either, I didn't hit post or it got deleted. But I did give some pros and cons about upstate SC. I don't know if it's considered off topic if it got deleted so I'm not going to try again but feel free to DM me.

Old 06-21-2008, 12:46 PM

2 posts, read 2,693 times
I may be moving from here in Michigan where I've lived all my life to NC. Any advice?

Old 06-21-2008, 02:22 PM

286 posts, read 994,494 times
What part of Michigan did you live in and what kind of area are you looking for?

Old 06-23-2008, 03:12 PM

15 posts, read 39,312 times
We're moving next month to Northern VA and I'm already missing Michigan. My husband and I were both born and raised here and are very sad to leave. However, the job is moving so we are too. Not much of a choice.

I just hope we can come home in a couple of years. Michigan will ALWAYS be home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan