Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2008, 09:56 PM

1,155 posts, read 1,840,120 times

Advertisements

I love Michigan and always will. Look at my subheading and that will tell you everything. We moved here 15 years ago from Canada and although I love Canada, I love Michigan more. However, I am also graduating next spring with a degree in elementary education and I realize my chances of landing a full time job as a teacher here are very slim. I've seen graduates this year fleeing the state because they couldn't find jobs here. I know we'll be facing some tough decisions less than a year from now. I would hate to leave this state, but you have to go where the jobs are. Good luck to you as you venture out. Michigan is the greatest state bar none.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 07:50 AM

262 posts, read 788,261 times
I have lived here in Michigan for 50 of my 51 years of age. I find it hard to think about leaving here, just because I have no jobs coming in. Now with all the new Laws that have changed as of June 1st of this year, I feel I am being squeezed out do to the drop in construction, I have been doing business for 23 year in the Wayne, Oakland and Macomb counties. I have looked at Arizona and Texas, there seems to be some work, where here I haven't had a call for a estimate in 6 weeks. I get calls from other guys asking me if I'm doing any hireing, I talked with a lady who works for the State and she gave me information about the new classes I'll have to take. before I can get a license.
I have been told if I could get my Builders License and make it through this I will be sitting in a good place, the thing is I am running out of money to just pay the monthly bills, So I guess you would say I am inbetween a rock and a hard place.
I still would like to stay , but if I loss everything those park benchs get cold here, where in Arizona or Texas it would be a little warmer.

Old 08-24-2008, 07:12 PM

13 posts, read 38,687 times
Default You'll Like Living in Michigan!

I hope you read this far down. I had no idea so many people were Michigan haters. We have had generations of bad leadership. We relied on GM and Ford and now they have not shown the loyalty that we have shown them. It sounds to me like Michigan would be a great fit-don't forget about snowmobiles. We have quads-there are A LOT of laws. You have to get used to Michigan. There are wonderful trails throughout the state.
I am also a teacher here. We are all trying to get through this economy and it is bad. It has been bad here before the rest of the nation acknowledged it. The area you are looking at may be easier to get a job. Michigan teachers are still better off than most teachers in the nation. Our union used to be incredibly strong. It is still strong, but not even close to the strength of the past. We have better pay and benefits coupled with a great cost of living that most other states cannot offer. Jackson once had one of the best cost livings in the nation. Taquanamon Falls is the 2nd largest waterfall in the nation! I wish our previous leaders had capitalized better on our outdoors than on our factories. Our outdoors are still here, while the factories have left. Thanks NAFTA, CAFTA. We are one of the last places that understands the importance of buying American. We are hard working people.
I think the only thing left for you to consider is if you are willing to BURN your Ohio State stuff!!

Old 08-24-2008, 09:04 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafinrci View Post
Taquanamon Falls is the 2nd largest waterfall in the nation!

just fyi

tahquamenon falls is the third largest waterfalls east of the Mississippi River.....Niagra, Cumberland falls in Kentucky which are beautiful then T-falls

it is debatable, there are quite a few waterfalls that claim this
so either we are second or third,....either way it is awesome and they are beautiful and i LOVE swimming in the lower falls

Last edited by mofromcheboygankalamazoo; 08-24-2008 at 09:26 PM..

Old 08-26-2008, 04:28 PM

11 posts, read 29,335 times
Default It All Depends

I was born and raised in Ann Arbor, moved to Arlington, TX for 20 years then returned in 2005. Couldn't afford A2 and chose Jackson. Some think I'm crazy, I don't. For me it was the right move, Jackson is moving in the right direction, very affordable homes, plenty to see and do right here. There are jobs in healthcare and research and development in the southern part of the state too.

As per usual, the auto industry has been hit over the head so you have lots of unemployed auto mfg. workers and workers whose previous job was somehow related to automotive. You will run into may nay-sayers who have nothing good to say which has always puzzled me because it seems if you hated it so much, you'd do as many others did in the 80's and leave.

We may be the rust belt, but you've got to have water to have rust and I'd much perfer the cool and green with rust than I would the boiling hot and parched with no rust. TX was fun for the first 7 years, after that, I couldn't wait to get out of there. Too darned hot and I'm one of those people who happens to love cold weather, even the snow.

Do your homework, be realistic, and best of luck. Michigan can always use more smart people who are motivated and optimistic.

Old 08-26-2008, 06:23 PM

13 posts, read 38,687 times
Default Waterfalls

mofromcheboygankalamazoo,

Thanks for the very polite correction!

Old 08-26-2008, 06:43 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafinrci View Post
mofromcheboygankalamazoo,

Thanks for the very polite correction!
welcome, i definitely meant it politely!

i spent one summer camping nine different times at Tahquamenon state park......hehehehe......i LOVE it there....

i guess i should add that to the favorite state park list..........

i am still proud whether it is second or third

Old 08-26-2008, 07:22 PM

11 posts, read 29,335 times
It is funny isn't it? When I lived in TX, I had a boss who had just built a beautiful home with his wife, it sat on an acre of land and about 10 minutes from D/FW International Airport. He was "promoted" and moved to Glendale, CA. What did he get for his pay increase? A small hovel of a house with a yard no bigger than a postage stamp. In fact, the day he arrived, they had an earthquake.

Needless to say, he moved back to Dallas within a year, happy for the demotion. I'd also like to add that the pay increase for moving to CA in no way comensurates with the cost of living. I have a friend who lives in San Jose. He and a roommate rent a house at $1750/month and that's a deal. He can only dream about ever being able to own anything that is even half as nice or within an hour of San Jose or San Francisco.

I have BTW met a couple of people in Jackson who lived in LA and didn't have a whole lot of good to say about it. I guess it's fine if you are very wealthy or satisfied in paying off somebody else's mortgage with your rent payments, but please spare me the Nirvana comparison.

I lived in TX for 20 years. When I moved back to MI, in late 2005, the job outlook down there wasn't pretty, not by a long shot. My house sat on the market for over a year with no takers. The real estate market down there is in the proverbial crapper, so who do these guys think they're fooling? Yes. Things are particularly bad in MI, but it is bad all over.

Old 08-26-2008, 09:07 PM

693 posts, read 2,258,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonista View Post
I was born and raised in Ann Arbor, moved to Arlington, TX for 20 years then returned in 2005. Couldn't afford A2 and chose Jackson. Some think I'm crazy, I don't. For me it was the right move, Jackson is moving in the right direction, very affordable homes, plenty to see and do right here. There are jobs in healthcare and research and development in the southern part of the state too.

As per usual, the auto industry has been hit over the head so you have lots of unemployed auto mfg. workers and workers whose previous job was somehow related to automotive. You will run into may nay-sayers who have nothing good to say which has always puzzled me because it seems if you hated it so much, you'd do as many others did in the 80's and leave.

We may be the rust belt, but you've got to have water to have rust and I'd much perfer the cool and green with rust than I would the boiling hot and parched with no rust. TX was fun for the first 7 years, after that, I couldn't wait to get out of there. Too darned hot and I'm one of those people who happens to love cold weather, even the snow.

Do your homework, be realistic, and best of luck. Michigan can always use more smart people who are motivated and optimistic.
Jackson what?

Sorry but I think many other residents of Jackson would disagree with it moving in the right direction....not to be a pessimist but my father lived in the area and having saw what I did amazed me. The city has lots of charm in areas, but nearly nowhere to become employed, and many young teens in trouble. You nailed one point....the only employment opportunity is in health care due to the hospital, if you aren't in that field in Jackson, be prepared to live a renting life.

Old 08-28-2008, 12:59 PM

2 posts, read 4,707 times
Default Move or Not To Move

Again, good luck on your decision to relocate in MI. However as I indicated before it might be a good idea to research some data in the local newspapers or on-line to get an idea of what MI was facing.

Someone from western Mi challenged some of the things I had posted so I thought I would update both them and you of where the information was seen or obtained. First I indicated that some of the info was indicating that MI was "amount the highest in the nation" not the highest just among the highest. Gas prices.....Mi 13th in the nation as of today on GASbuddy.com with the highest price in the nation listed as Beaver Island MI %5.49. Sales tax 4th...............not the highest but "among the highest", property tax and local taxes 15th..............not the higest but "among the highest". Regarding California folks laughing in my face when discussing gas prices, I would have to remind them that wage earners in California make more annually than the folks in MI. by about 4-5 grand a year so laughing in ones face does not appear appropiate aye.

Autos.aol.com: Michigan listed as 7 highest for auto insurance.

Detroit News.com: Article dated 19 Jun 2008: 84,000 jobs lost this year with 8th consecutive years of Job losses. Article dated 15 July 08: thousands apply at Book Cadillac for 250 jobs with average pay of $10.00 an hour.

NBC25online.com/new Thursday Jul 08, 2008 6:33 pm 30,000 residents leave state.
Mackinac Center for Public Policy: latest data from Unified Van Lines shows that in 07 66.4% of the 2007 Michigan traffic was outbound.

It appears folks in Western Mi. either dont get the states newspapers or if they do....fail to read anything other than the sports section.

Good luck again on your decision.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan