Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2008, 09:08 AM

62 posts, read 181,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dori36 View Post
That said, if you're not dependent on the auto industry and attendant suppliers, and you're not trying to sell real estate, I believe there are many opportunities here.

This can be a slippery assumption (re: auto industry). I was let go (with 12 others) from a multi-million $ international dental manufacturer (white collar work) and hired by an auto supplier (who has also hired more both blue and white collar in the last 4 weeks). EVERY industry in MI is feeling the subsequent effects of not only our own economy but the national economy as well. Retail stores both chain and local are closing, service industries are being affected due to a decline in money to spend, tourism is hurting because no one has money to even vacation by car, hours are being cut down to part time etc.

I don't think it's accurate to assume that just because someone is not linked to automotive that it means they will likely have good opportunities in other sectors. Opportunities may exist, but they aren't in one sector or another, they are truly hard to come by and right now are likely lower paying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2008, 10:36 AM

915 posts, read 1,506,506 times
Michigan is worse than Ohio. Also, your girlfriend won't be able to get a job here - teachers are leaving because there's no place for them to teach after they graduate.

Michigan is beautiful, I agree; however, the further North you go, the smaller the towns/local economies....with the high unemployment rate, it really makes no sense to relocate there.

Land/Housing is dirt cheap because people (in a lot of situations) are desperate to sell.

I hear that areas of OH are booming - like Cinncinati. Unless you already have a job here, I wouldn't move here. Not in this economic climate.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:52 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times
Don't know if Michigan is worse than Ohio, but the teaching jobs are few and very far between here. My cousin has her teaching certificate and graduated tops in her class a few years ago. Still nothing for her full-time. Maybe this year because a couple of teachers retired after last year, but nothing set yet. Good luck with your search, MI is a great state.

Old 08-08-2008, 09:51 PM

11 posts, read 24,339 times
We lived in the metro Detroit area, and we had to relocate because of the job situation. I am also an educator that cannot find work there. Michigan is beautiful, and we want to relocate now that my husband is in a line of work that will not be threatened by the economy up there. I think as far as wanting to farm and enjoy the beauty of nature you will be in luck up there. I grew up on a farm with my grandparents in SE Michigan and those are some of my fondest memories. I wish you good luck!

Old 08-09-2008, 09:19 AM

734 posts, read 2,618,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowspy22 View Post
OK, so I live in Ohio now, and I work in Marketing. Me and my girlfriend hate Ohio, yet we love MI, the plentiful lakes, the beauty... We are looking for more northern Michigan only because it is so "untouched" and natural.

Were not your typical "educated" couple, yadada... She is a teacher, FYI.

I love to hunt, fish, and live off the land. I enjoy farm animals and so on. We like to literally live off the land as much as we can. Yes, we may go to work in an office everyday, but come clocking out we are back to the fields.

I'm looking for a very rural setting where I can hop on the four-wheeler and go fishing/hunting, and also raise farm animals on.

I have been looking into property and my goodness some of the property you have going is dirt cheap! I'm talking about undeveloped land, but like some lots of 17 acres completely wooded are going around 60k!!! That's extremely cheap from were we come from.

I have some friends who moved to Tennessee. One is a teacher and she was able to find a job right away after moving down there (Chattanooga). I know that it is like that all over the south. I think that the things you are looking for (rural land, farming, etc.) can be found in Tenn. so this is another option you might want to consider if she has no luck landing a job up here.

I understand I can no longer work in an office unless I move close to TC, but in my field it is extremely manageable to be 100% on the computer and if I have to fly to the office once or twice a month no biggy. I will have to find a new job however...

What is the economy like? Is the north that much better then the south?

Where should we go? Any input would be much appreciated. Is it feasible to raise farm animals in the north with the harsh winters? We do it in Ohio but just wondering...

Also as you may know Ohio's economy is horrible also... Is Michigan worse?

Thanks, and have a great day!
Just remember that a lot of the member on here have already drank the Kool-Aid and to not always let what other people say sway your decisions.

On that note, teaching jobs in this state ARE something that are few and far between right now. They are not entirely impossible to find however...you just have to look very hard and sometimes (unfortunately) know the right people.

Tennessee may be a good alternative if you have no luyck finding something up here.

Old 08-10-2008, 07:24 PM

3 posts, read 8,908 times
Default Beautiful Michigan

I love living in Michigan. I live in Jackson (which I like, but others will tell you it is a terrible place), but have a summer place north of AuGres. That is a wonderful area. Like going back to the 1950's. Little crime, friendly people. Real estate there is very inexpensive. Our place is 300 steps from a deep sandy beach and we got it for next to nothing. The west side of the state is very nice but pretty expensive and rather crowded. If you have time, take a tour of the state, and make sure you take the drive from Petosky to Cross Village. Stop at Legg's Inn for lunch in CV. The UP is grand, too, but does not have much of a summer.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:52 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
We moved here from California in 2005. We lost all of our net worth when our house value tanked during remodeling/construciton. It is compllicated, but a real mess.

However we are still glad that we moved here. A lot of things about Michigan are wonderful despite the distressful economy. Ride out the economic storm and it is a great place to be. Beside, if you are moving here now, you will not find a better deal on real estate anywhere. If we were to sell out house right now, we would get less than 1/2 Closer to 1/3 of what we put into it. You can certainly get a bargain right now.

Be careful of the job situation though. Even what may appear to be a good safe job today, can be gone tomorrow. The medical fields seem to be doing very well however. The West side of the state is doing well also. There is an article on Google or MSN about the benefits of moving to Grand Rapids.

Good Luck.

Old 08-11-2008, 12:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,839,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen Ferency View Post
I love living in Michigan. I live in Jackson (which I like, but others will tell you it is a terrible place), but have a summer place north of AuGres. That is a wonderful area. Like going back to the 1950's. Little crime, friendly people. Real estate there is very inexpensive. Our place is 300 steps from a deep sandy beach and we got it for next to nothing. The west side of the state is very nice but pretty expensive and rather crowded. If you have time, take a tour of the state, and make sure you take the drive from Petosky to Cross Village. Stop at Legg's Inn for lunch in CV. The UP is grand, too, but does not have much of a summer.
Sorry to be off topic, but there is a great resturuant in Jackson that i cannot remember the name of. It is a steak house that sits at the edge of a strip mall very near an Applebees. We went to applebees but elected the steak house due to the long lines at Applebees. We were lucky that we did, It was the best dining experience that we have had since moving to Michigan. Do you know the name of that Resturaunt"?

Old 08-13-2008, 06:15 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,767,296 times
Frankly, shadowspy, you sound like just the kind of person who could really benefit our state at the same time you are benefiting from what MI has to offer. Finding a job is the real challenge here. Start looking at the want ads online at places like Craigslist and the Detroit Free Press and so on, and see what you think of the opportunities. Problem is, there is not much to market around here lately.

Old 08-13-2008, 08:12 AM

175 posts, read 465,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Don't know if Michigan is worse than Ohio, but the teaching jobs are few and very far between here. My cousin has her teaching certificate and graduated tops in her class a few years ago. Still nothing for her full-time. Maybe this year because a couple of teachers retired after last year, but nothing set yet. Good luck with your search, MI is a great state.
Move to Arizona. We are hurting for good teachers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan