Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-18-2007, 10:43 PM
KAL KAL started this thread

5 posts, read 17,364 times

Advertisements

Hi I want to write in to get some advice from anyone who wants to share their experience with West Michigan. My husband and I are relocating to Michigan and we're looking into cities located near Holland. We are considering 1)good schools 2)more house for our money 3)commute to Holland 4)family friendly atmosphere w/ a good range of outdoor activities (not just boating) and 5)good city-vibe, maybe from a downtown. So far I've looked into Holland, South Haven and Grand Haven but it's just so hard to pull what you're looking for specifically out of the sites. Any advice would be welcome-- and thanks!
Katy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2007, 10:21 AM

12 posts, read 64,806 times
If you're looking for something a little more on the smaller side, Fremont might just be what you're looking for. It's a quaint little town of about 4,000 people and it's half an hour from Lake Michigan. It has a small lake (Fremont lake) that's a good place for summer recreation. The city is in the process of trying to improve on activities, with talk of an indoor health club. They have a bicycle path that they are expanding and there's a small outdoor ice skating rink as well as a skate park. There are a few wealthy families in the area, thanks to the Gerber Baby Food plant but it's not expensive to live there by any means. The schools are excellent for a small town and there's virtually no crime.

Old 02-20-2007, 01:59 PM

Default A little bigger

Thanks for your reply! I'm not so sure I would like such a small town, though! I grew up in Dearborn, and that part of the state sort of runs together city-to-city, my husband and I both went to MSU in ELansing, and we're coming from Albuquerque, a huge city, so that would be quite an adjustment if it were 'quaint'. I want to be able to have plenty of choices for shopping areas, nice things to do with my husband on a night out, and plenty of activities to do as a family. I've looked at Grand Rapids and Holland both, since they're much bigger than Grand Haven and South Haven. Now I just have to research them both to decide.

Our family is mostly in the SE part of the state- Berkley, Hamtramck, Dearborn, Commerce TWP, so GRapids would take an extra 1/2 hour off their visits, which is nice. I think the most things I'm looking at now is schools and other young families, since I stay at home, I want to be able to connect with other moms too. We have a 2 year-old and a baby, so we're a while off from kindergarten, but it never hurts to prepare...and from what it sounds like, we're never going to be able to sell our house again once we buy it, so we better make it a good fit for the future.

It seems like people haven't said that much positive about the areas I'm looking at as far as being too conservative, but we're about as conservative as it comes, and catholic too...double whammy! However, we do appreciate diversity and don't want our kids to grow up thinking everyone is like us, or has to be. That's why it's also important to be near, I don't know what you'd call it, a cultural hub or something, where we aren't completely surrounded by one 'type' of anything.

Anyhow, some other posts have helped a little- like that Holland Public Schools aren't that great, and to stay in West Ottawa School District if we stay in Holland. I'm so concerned that it's going to be too touristy though! I don't think I'd care if it were just in May for the tulip festival, but all year long I would start to wish I were somewhere else. And since it is the #1 place to retire in the country I'm also concerned about the stores jacking up the prices because most people can afford it--are these things true?

Old 02-20-2007, 02:07 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,481,893 times
I hear good things about Grand Haven from our friends in Grand Rapids!

Grand Haven is north of Holland. It is worth checking out!

Old 02-20-2007, 02:22 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KAL View Post
Thanks for your reply! I'm not so sure I would like such a small town, though! I grew up in Dearborn, and that part of the state sort of runs together city-to-city, my husband and I both went to MSU in ELansing, and we're coming from Albuquerque, a huge city, so that would be quite an adjustment if it were 'quaint'. I want to be able to have plenty of choices for shopping areas, nice things to do with my husband on a night out, and plenty of activities to do as a family. I've looked at Grand Rapids and Holland both, since they're much bigger than Grand Haven and South Haven. Now I just have to research them both to decide.

Our family is mostly in the SE part of the state- Berkley, Hamtramck, Dearborn, Commerce TWP, so GRapids would take an extra 1/2 hour off their visits, which is nice. I think the most things I'm looking at now is schools and other young families, since I stay at home, I want to be able to connect with other moms too. We have a 2 year-old and a baby, so we're a while off from kindergarten, but it never hurts to prepare...and from what it sounds like, we're never going to be able to sell our house again once we buy it, so we better make it a good fit for the future.

It seems like people haven't said that much positive about the areas I'm looking at as far as being too conservative, but we're about as conservative as it comes, and catholic too...double whammy! However, we do appreciate diversity and don't want our kids to grow up thinking everyone is like us, or has to be. That's why it's also important to be near, I don't know what you'd call it, a cultural hub or something, where we aren't completely surrounded by one 'type' of anything.

Anyhow, some other posts have helped a little- like that Holland Public Schools aren't that great, and to stay in West Ottawa School District if we stay in Holland. I'm so concerned that it's going to be too touristy though! I don't think I'd care if it were just in May for the tulip festival, but all year long I would start to wish I were somewhere else. And since it is the #1 place to retire in the country I'm also concerned about the stores jacking up the prices because most people can afford it--are these things true?
As a Catholic myself, I'd recommend staying away from Holland or Zeeland. I'd say Grand Haven would be good, but it's not all that diverse. But really, I'd stick to the Grand Rapids area and your husband can commute. At least he's going in the opposite direction than everyone else (there are thousands who commute between Holland to GR), and it's only about 20 minutes.

I'd try homes in Wyoming that are in the Grandville school district. The schools are a bit diverse, and are rated pretty highly. The new M-6 freeway in that area gets you quickly to the lakeshore and to Lansing and beyond. A lot of inexpensive newer ranch homes, lots of families with kids, a couple of great golf courses. St Pius Church (where we used to attend) on Wilson in Grandville is packed with families with little kids. If you like malls, Rivertown Crossings in Michigan outside of the Detroit area. There's also a lot of development along M-6 including Metropolitan Hospital's new "village" at M-6 and Byron Center, so the real estate market is not horrid in that area.

Copy this URL and paste it in your browser. It should be centered right on that area. Good luck and any other questions, post away.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...m=1&iwloc=addr

Old 02-20-2007, 08:05 PM

Default Thanks so much!

I really appreciate the advice...and every bit of info is great to know.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan