Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-11-2008, 05:35 PM

3 posts, read 5,544 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are thinking of purchasing a house in Lansing on Risdale near Holmes. Can anyone provide us with any info/details about neighborhood and surrounding area? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2008, 09:03 AM

222 posts, read 811,126 times
Default Well . . . Here's the Thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorgan1969 View Post
My wife and I are thinking of purchasing a house in Lansing on Risdale near Holmes. Can anyone provide us with any info/details about neighborhood and surrounding area? Thanks.
Just my opinion, but that is not the worst area of Lansing, but certainly not the best. If you have kids, they will go to Lansing schools, which again are not the worst in the State, but they are not the best. For a long term investment, your money is probably better spent in one of the suburbs just outside of Lansing . . . even the Waverly area which is just a few blocks west of where you are currently looking. Different school system there and considered slightly better.

Overall, now may not be the best time to be buying real estate in Lansing unless you plan to be around for the LONG haul. Yes, we have MSU and State Government, but if GM closes down, or reduces the hours at the new plant, things will get much worse here before they get better. We already have far more houses for sale than people and that is likely going to get worse, regardless of what happens with the Big 3 Bailout.

I would certainly suggest waiting on purchasing a home in the area if you are unfamiliar with Lansing. You may want to rent for a year or so to get to know your way around and then buy. Will you be wasting some money? Perhaps, but better than being stuck with a house in a crappy neighborhood that you can't sell.

Old 12-12-2008, 10:16 AM

3 posts, read 5,544 times
That certainly helps. We are currently living in Bellingham, Wa which is quite expensive, but we both were born and raised in Michigan. We were doing some research on the area and your comments seem to coincide with what we were thinking. We have 5 children(4 months, 6,10,14 and 16) and want to make sure that the schools are above average, close to home, and the neighborhood is safe.

We were trying to decide between Lansing and Grand Rapids.

I think we will probably lean more towards GR.

Thanks very much for the feedback.

Old 12-12-2008, 02:50 PM

222 posts, read 811,126 times
Default If don't already have a job here . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmorgan1969 View Post
That certainly helps. We are currently living in Bellingham, Wa which is quite expensive, but we both were born and raised in Michigan. We were doing some research on the area and your comments seem to coincide with what we were thinking. We have 5 children(4 months, 6,10,14 and 16) and want to make sure that the schools are above average, close to home, and the neighborhood is safe.

We were trying to decide between Lansing and Grand Rapids.

I think we will probably lean more towards GR.

Thanks very much for the feedback.
. . . I would also recommend GR over Lansing at this time, although the whole state is going to have a rough go the next few years. Don't get me wrong, I have lived in Lansing nearly 22 years now and really like it, but in my heart I cannot recommend that someone come here at this time.

Old 12-12-2008, 08:05 PM

413 posts, read 938,280 times
Grand Rapids is much more 'booming' than Lansing. They lean more toward technology rather than manufacturing, and so it seems to be less impacted by the automotive closures. There is a lot of new construction in Grand Rapids (including MSU's new med school), and a lot more 'rich dudes' in the area investing.

Old 12-18-2008, 06:56 AM

1 posts, read 1,978 times
I live not far from there. I would not advise a move to this area for many reasons. One of the towns around Lansing would be a better bet. But, if you have the choice between Lansing and GR I would say go to GR.

Old 12-19-2008, 10:04 AM

9 posts, read 15,889 times
Being a lansing native and a business owner that travels Michigan a lot you could do better than to decide to live in Lansing. It is a great town with much to do, but the economy is not what it could be here.

However, if you wish to live in this area I would suggest that you live in the outlying areas, especially if you have kids. The school districts are better just outside of Lansing and the crime is very low. I'd suggest Grand Ledge, Haslett, or Dewitt.

East Lansing is a good town to live in if your are young with no family as is Okemos. However, they are a bit pricey to live in.

If you like the small town feel, then there are small great small towns that are driving distances away that are great to live in. Weberville, Williamston, Dimondale and Eaton Rapids and Mason to name a few.

Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan