Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2007, 07:40 PM

146 posts, read 641,043 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboState View Post
It is easy for them to blame the little man, but that fact is, they've made junk cars for almost their entire existence and get all pissed off when people buy a Honda?

What a classic. "Blame the little man"
Since when is someone making $25 an hour and wallowing in benefits from cradle to grave "the little man"?
The 'little man' may be a janitor, it may be a single parent waitress but not since Henry Ford opened the Rouge plant has an American auto worker been the little man.
Don't get me wrong, I don't blame them personally. Who wouldn't take that kind of deal? All but one of my Uncles made their living in Flint or Lansing, and they're all good, hard working people. But to say that the greed and power of the Unions hasn't led to the demise of Motown is whistling past the graveyard.
If its not the Unions why aren't Toyota and all the other companies opening up shop in the state where all the qualified auto workers are? What union-free business does that? -None.
Unions + crime = death of Detroit
At least we can agree on one thing. Those long columns are annoying.

Last edited by Wabbit; 03-07-2007 at 07:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2007, 10:08 AM

36 posts, read 151,398 times
"We just go in and play crossword puzzles, watch videos that someone brings in or read the newspaper," he says. "Otherwise, I've just sat."

Thats just pathetic.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:05 PM

792 posts, read 2,324,763 times
$100 / car? That's not what keeps some people from buying Big 3 cars, and that's nothing compared to what the cost of health and retirement benefits adds to a car. If we had a national healthcare system in this country, healthcare costs would be spread around much more evenly and would not be a burden on our industries, but groups like the AMA, the insurance industry, and right-wing ideologues have repeatedly torpedoed efforts to get some sort of universal healthcare system in place.

The problem with unions is not that they are too strong here, it's that they are too WEAK in other countries. Some Chinese workers get 1 day off a MONTH. Yet U.S. trade negotiators have not addressed freedom to unionize in our trade negotiations. That's one of the reasons why working people around the world are in a race to the bottom while the economic elites get richer.

Anyone who blames unions for the poor economy needs to get a basic understanding of economic history--take a look at what life was like for working people before the New Deal. And anyone who is upset about union workers getting paid to be in jobs pools ought to get some facts about the golden parachutes and fat bonuses that executives get.

Old 03-08-2007, 12:14 PM

3,295 posts, read 9,189,032 times
Quote:
Anyone who blames unions for the poor economy needs to get a basic understanding of economic history--take a look at what life was like for working people before the New Deal.
Which was about 80 years ago. Unfortunately the unions today think they are still living in THAT world not the current one.

There was a time and place for unions but they have far outlived their usefulness.

Quote:
And anyone who is upset about union workers getting paid to be in jobs pools ought to get some facts about the golden parachutes and fat bonuses that executives get.
Then don't buy from those companies. Vote with your wallet.

Yes, it is wrong for the execs to get what they do but it is ALSO wrong for the union workers to SIT in a job pool.

What self respecting person gets paid for producing nothing? A good solid work ethic should keep that from happening. I guess that is something missing in the unions...a solid work ethic and pride in getting paid for WORK done not sitting doing nothing. Liz

Old 03-09-2007, 07:30 PM

693 posts, read 2,258,357 times
Default 200, not 8000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboState View Post
Just announced today, Comerica is closing up shop in Michigan.

That means 8,000 more people unemployed. The chips keep falling, where is the bottom? I don't think we are near it yet unfortunately. The moving trucks are lining the highways heading OUT of Michigan.

My wife reports a 29% decline in patients in her hospital. My sister reports a 40% decline in people at her Pediatrics office. My other sister has a cleaning company, and reports that a vast majority of new calls are from people selling their house and leaving the state and want it cleaned.
The 200 people that work in the headquarters will be relocating to dallas, tx. The 7000 people who work in branches across the state will still have employment (qouted from comerica's website). I must agree that this is the most important loss to michigan due to what it tells other companies in the state. When a BANK leaves the state, there is REAL trouble. What an excuse by the CEO, stating "lack of talented workers" when we have several of the top universities in the nation to pick candidates. But, can you blame them? Long have they seen what is comming, and there is nothing Jenny can do to stop the avalanche that is about to begin. My father is trying to sell his home, and what a surprise, the value has dropped over 10% since 2000, as both of his neighbors worked for the state prision, now trying to sell their homes as well.

Old 03-10-2007, 08:23 AM

4,494 posts, read 7,482,638 times
Default Unions, Detroit and Comerica....

The biggest problem facing Detroit from the fallout of Comerica is the perception/symbolism that it sends to the general public which has been echoed through-out the Michigan threads in general. (you figure that one out.. )

Old 03-10-2007, 10:25 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
The biggest problem facing Detroit from the fallout of Comerica is the perception/symbolism that it sends to the general public which has been echoed through-out the Michigan threads in general. (you figure that one out.. )
At this point, there isn't much left, in terms of how the city is perceived, that can be lost.

Old 03-12-2007, 10:05 AM

111 posts, read 485,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuebor View Post
$100 / car? That's not what keeps some people from buying Big 3 cars, and that's nothing compared to what the cost of health and retirement benefits adds to a car. If we had a national healthcare system in this country, healthcare costs would be spread around much more evenly and would not be a burden on our industries, but groups like the AMA, the insurance industry, and right-wing ideologues have repeatedly torpedoed efforts to get some sort of universal healthcare system in place.

The problem with unions is not that they are too strong here, it's that they are too WEAK in other countries. Some Chinese workers get 1 day off a MONTH. Yet U.S. trade negotiators have not addressed freedom to unionize in our trade negotiations. That's one of the reasons why working people around the world are in a race to the bottom while the economic elites get richer.

Anyone who blames unions for the poor economy needs to get a basic understanding of economic history--take a look at what life was like for working people before the New Deal. And anyone who is upset about union workers getting paid to be in jobs pools ought to get some facts about the golden parachutes and fat bonuses that executives get.
Well said!

Our healthcare system is broke, it won't exist within the decade the way it is going now. We're the laughingstock of the world right now, our infant mortality rate is rising, our life expectancy isn't keeping up with everyone else. Profit and corporations are driving our system, driving it right into the ground in the name of the mighty dollar. If anything, we've proven that a market based healthcare system will implode on itself from GREED.

http://www.yesmagazine.org/article.asp?id=1503

Old 03-15-2007, 08:51 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Fifth Third Bank, based in Cincinnati with Michigan HQ's in Grand Rapids, has made an announcement to make a massive investment in Southeast Michigan, with plans to add over 40 branches and initially hire up to 350 people.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070312/UPDATE/703120391/1001 (broken link)

See ya later Comerica. Maybe Detroit will have a "Fifth Third Ballpark" like Grand Rapids does.

This on the heels of news that Grand Rapids based Priority Health, the largest healthcare organization in West Michigan, bought out Care Choices and its 143,000 members in Southeast Michigan. Now is the time to buy in SE Michigan apparently. Maybe I should start buying up property in Detroit.

Last edited by magellan; 03-15-2007 at 09:34 AM..

Old 03-16-2007, 01:07 AM

3 posts, read 23,112 times
Default Taxes

I don't blame companies for leaving. My property taxes on my home just went up 54.7% (with no improvements). So much for the 3.7% limit. Now I'm facing a 2% sales tax on services. Things are going to get much worse in the next few years. Would anyone like to lend us their governor?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan