Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-05-2009, 09:12 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times

Advertisements

I know this is probably a lost cause, but you never know. Has anyone heard of any districts in the metro Detroit area hiring? It's May 4th and I haven't heard boo about being kept on for next year and due to staff rearrangements, mine is one of the positions that can be filled by someone with more seniority. I feel like I need my resume out there but I don't know where to send it.

Any suggestions for an aggressive job search. Would it be out of line to simply show up at schools I'm interested in, resume in hand and ask to see the principal? Of course I'll have to take a day off of work to do that but you gotta do what you gotta do in this economy.

Unfortunately, I'm tied to the area for the time being but I'm willing to drive where I have to to have work.

Thanks
Ivory
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2009, 09:58 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Get a job as a substitute teacher. Do an awesome job and you will probably get some offers. Sustitute teaching stinks. It pays nothing and you are on call at 5 a.m. You work erratically get no benefits and are generally treated like dirt. However it does get you exposure. If you always say yes to assignments, do a great job, get teachers and students requesting you again the nex ttime a teacher is sick, then the district starts to take notice. If they have opening they may make an offer. My wife was a substitute for one year. She had two districts tell her that they woudl hire her if she was certified. One said tha tthey would wait and hire her if she got certified. (Not sure that they woudl wait two years though).

If you do sub, be sure to sign up for as many districts as you can. You will get more work and get exposure to more districts. Be patient, It could take years to get a job in this market.

Old 05-05-2009, 06:35 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,481,332 times
Actually, here in W. Michigan I get benefits for subbing, and I liked it quite a bit. Once you're a regular sub the kids get to know you like a surrogate teacher, making the job even easier. Also, most of my assignments were before the assignment date so I could contact the teacher about lessons if I needed to. I loved subbing.

Ivory, all I can say is that Farmington Public Schools was at my college's job fair two weeks ago. But they were the only ones outside metro detroit. Good Luck

Old 05-05-2009, 06:38 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Get a job as a substitute teacher. Do an awesome job and you will probably get some offers. Sustitute teaching stinks. It pays nothing and you are on call at 5 a.m. You work erratically get no benefits and are generally treated like dirt. However it does get you exposure. If you always say yes to assignments, do a great job, get teachers and students requesting you again the nex ttime a teacher is sick, then the district starts to take notice. If they have opening they may make an offer. My wife was a substitute for one year. She had two districts tell her that they woudl hire her if she was certified. One said tha tthey would wait and hire her if she got certified. (Not sure that they woudl wait two years though).

If you do sub, be sure to sign up for as many districts as you can. You will get more work and get exposure to more districts. Be patient, It could take years to get a job in this market.

USED TO BE THAT WAY...Now 90% of districts contract out their substitute positions and they could care less who is in the classroom as far as doing a good job. And the subs are generally making less than $60 a day now since contracting out.

If you have any SpEd experience or certs you can contract with a real (impolite adjective here) swell organization GPS (Global Psychological Services) not a real nice place but will pay $22--28 an hour with some benefits.

Also TOTAL EDUCATION SOLUTION in Pontiac--SpEd experience...

Otherwise, even North Carolina if full and has no vacancies today...other than SpEd?

Old 05-06-2009, 04:21 AM

25,386 posts, read 35,540,621 times
Well, that was depressing.

I talked to my husband last night and, surprisingly, he's ok with me looking out of state. If June gets here and I have no contract, I guess I'll spend my summer trying to find something elsewhere.

You'd think with certs in math, chemistry and physics, there'd be some demand for me.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by zthatzmanz28
Otherwise, even North Carolina if full and has no vacancies today...other than SpEd?
Although the NC recruiters told me that the freeze would likely end after June 30 when Raleigh has their budget figured out. And I just got hired down there last week, I guess because my position really really needed to be filled.

Old 05-06-2009, 05:14 AM

Here are some job search websites I used when I was searching

www.schoolspring.net (http://www.schoolspring.net - broken link)

www.teachers-teachers.com (I got my job through here)

IASA - Illinois Education Job Bank (http://www.illinoiseducationjobbank.org/pages/ - broken link) (For Illinois)

www.teacherjobnet.org (For Texas. Texas is still doing well)

www.teachincolorado.org

Hope this helps, and good luck. There aren't as many jobs as last year, but they ARE out there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan