Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 11:33 AM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times

Advertisements

Michigan's scenery is very impressive. I've been in the UP, camping and enjoyed the natural setting.
I lived 6 months in the Grand Rapids area. It didn't take me long to size it up. That was enough! For the state's second largest city, it was certainly dull. Nothing to do at night. Lots of wanna be cowboys with pick-up trucks. Religious and conservative to the hilt. Gotta be careful of what you say. And what kind of bumper stickers are on your car. Being originally from Chicago, I returned and decided never to consider living in Michigan again. I could equate Michigan with Alabama, Arkansas, South Carolina, and Mississippi.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2009, 11:33 AM

7,357 posts, read 11,768,741 times
You said a mouthful!!!

Old 05-11-2009, 12:23 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,861,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
Michigan's scenery is very impressive. I've been in the UP, camping and enjoyed the natural setting.
I lived 6 months in the Grand Rapids area. It didn't take me long to size it up. That was enough! For the state's second largest city, it was certainly dull. Nothing to do at night. Lots of wanna be cowboys with pick-up trucks. Religious and conservative to the hilt. Gotta be careful of what you say. And what kind of bumper stickers are on your car. Being originally from Chicago, I returned and decided never to consider living in Michigan again. I could equate Michigan with Alabama, Arkansas, South Carolina, and Mississippi.
You're probably one of the first people I've heard say they didn't like living in Grand Rapids. And I know people who have moved here from all over the country, of all ages and stripes.

Whatever.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:49 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,193,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
You're probably one of the first people I've heard say they didn't like living in Grand Rapids. And I know people who have moved here from all over the country, of all ages and stripes.

Whatever.
I don't doubt that the Grand rapids area is a great place for patriotic, god fearing, gun toting, white guys.

Old 05-11-2009, 12:56 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,861,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Visvaldis View Post
I don't doubt that the Grand rapids area is a great place for patriotic, god fearing, gun toting, white guys.
Haha!

We should probably get back on topic.

Last edited by magellan; 05-11-2009 at 01:29 PM..

Old 05-11-2009, 01:28 PM

745 posts, read 1,720,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
Is it the cold winters? The economy?

I just do not understand why people do not want to live in this state.

To me Michigan is the most beautiful state in the country.
Good thing you added the qualifier, "to me."

Old 05-11-2009, 07:36 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,485,182 times
Quote:
Originally posted by wheretolive

To me Michigan is the most beautiful state in the country. {I have lived in Illinois, Virginia, Maryland}. Even when I lived in Illionois, and thank God I was near the lakefront there which made things tolerable, I missed even natural beauty of Michigan.

I know history and rust belt stuff, has impacted Michigan very badly, but sometimes wonder why Michigan is not more popular.
Three Reasons:

1. Wayne County
2. Genesee County
3. Saginaw County

Old 05-11-2009, 11:59 PM

328 posts, read 1,397,503 times
Default Grew Up in Metro Detroit

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post

Whatever.
Actually, I see the point of the poster that you were responding to. If he grew up in Chicago, or in close proximity to, he's going to equate GR to Chicago, and they don't compare. Even with Downtown Grand Rapids revitalization, you cannot compare the options of what to do in a city of 600,000 to a city of 3 million. There are countless more bars, restaurants, entertainment options, and other things to do in Chicago then there are in GR. Everyone that I am friends with from Grand Rapids has settled down already and are thinking about kids (I'm in my mid-20's).

Also, Grand Rapids is fairly religious and definitely conservative. I went to school on the West Side of the state and spent a fair amount of time there, and had friends that grew up in that area, and they definitely were a lot more into religion and expressing their faith then my friends that I knew from Metro Detroit. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but the poster probably did not like the socially conservative and religious nature of GR.

However, I would not compare GR to Alabama or other states in the South. GR, and Michigan as a whole, may be conservative, but for the most part we are somewhat liberal and accepting. I certainly wouldn't expect to see confederate flags flying anytime soon on the west side of the state!

Old 05-12-2009, 12:20 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post

To me Michigan is the most beautiful state in the country. {I have lived in Illinois, Virginia, Maryland}. Even when I lived in Illionois, and thank God I was near the lakefront there which made things tolerable, I missed even natural beauty of Michigan.
I know history and rust belt stuff, has impacted Michigan very badly, but sometimes wonder why Michigan is not more popular.
Michigan gets a bad rap do to 3 things: weather, economics and Detroit

Weather: Michigan has snow 7 months of the year, its always gray and overcast and not much sunlight, and the weather changes CONSTANTLY

Economics: Michigan has the worst economy in the country and the highest unemployment rate due to the ills of the auto industry's Big Three (GM Ford Chrysler), driven by the corrupt UAW. Michigan is the epitome of the Rust Belt. Michigan is also a high tax burdened state, affecting many companies from wanting to do business in the state. Michigan is just too reliant on the auto industry and hasnt diversified itself enough.

Detroit: I dont need to explain this much. Detroit has lost half its population in 4 decades. Has the most job losses of any US city. The country's highest unemployment rate. The country's highest foreclosure rate. The country's highest rate of murder and violent crime. The country's highest office vacancy rate. The worst team in pro sports (Detroit Lions). And the country's WORST school system. Detroit is bad in everything and good in nothing. Detroit's bad reputation has affected the rest of the state. Sad but true.

Old 05-12-2009, 12:25 AM

1,012 posts, read 2,561,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alwaystraveling25 View Post
Actually, I see the point of the poster that you were responding to. If he grew up in Chicago, or in close proximity to, he's going to equate GR to Chicago, and they don't compare. Even with Downtown Grand Rapids revitalization, you cannot compare the options of what to do in a city of 600,000 to a city of 3 million. There are countless more bars, restaurants, entertainment options, and other things to do in Chicago then there are in GR. Everyone that I am friends with from Grand Rapids has settled down already and are thinking about kids (I'm in my mid-20's).

Also, Grand Rapids is fairly religious and definitely conservative. I went to school on the West Side of the state and spent a fair amount of time there, and had friends that grew up in that area, and they definitely were a lot more into religion and expressing their faith then my friends that I knew from Metro Detroit. I'm not saying it's a bad thing, but the poster probably did not like the socially conservative and religious nature of GR.

However, I would not compare GR to Alabama or other states in the South. GR, and Michigan as a whole, may be conservative, but for the most part we are somewhat liberal and accepting. I certainly wouldn't expect to see confederate flags flying anytime soon on the west side of the state!
Watch out in your population comparisons of Chicago and GR. You listed Grand Rapids' METRO population against chicago's PROPER population. In comparing apples to apples the numbers are much more profound. Grand Rapids, the city proper, has 192,000 against Chicago's 2.8 million. Metropolitan GR has about 600,000 while Chicago has nearly 10-million in 3 states. Quite the difference!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan