Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 08:57 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,854,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Obvious View Post
But if they did hold a torch to Detroit at least it wouldn't burn too long.

I guess I did tee that one up pretty well. But I stand by what I said. These newer Southern cities don't have anything on the more unique Northern cities. The history, architecture, character, struggles and rebirth.

OK, maybe Savannah and Charleston. The rest? Nah.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2012, 10:54 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
I assumed what you assumed, until I began driving around in the South with my Michigan driver's license. We're 100% considered 'Yankees'. I believe even Californians or people out West, might be referred to as 'Yankees' as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Canadians are equally considered 'Yankee'.

It seems they use the word 'Yankee' for any North American who is not 'Southern'.
Wehn I lived In California and wanted to move to Charleston they woudl not sell a "yankee" a house in a certain area (south of Broad) according to our realtor. "But i am from California" "Honey, if you are not from the south, you are a yankee, thats just how it is."

I got the same thing when I went to get a job. They offered me a position in Greenville, but in charleston? "No business in Chrlseton is likely to hire a yankee lawyer" "But I am from California" "That is worse, do not say that too loudly, anyway around here, you are still a yankee, you talk like a yankee. THey will accept you in Greenville, it is different there"

Old 01-16-2013, 01:06 PM

1 posts, read 1,159 times
I have lived in Michigan for over 8 years now, in three different parts of the state, but I'm originally from Southern California. I think most people not from here see Michigan as a failed industry state, especially the Detroit region. I was also hesitant about moving to Michigan, thinking it would be mostly backwards, country, uneducated people. I now see how absolutely wrong I was. There are many great things about the state, the beautiful lakes and some interesting cities and towns. For most people, if they haven't visited or spent time in a state they won't know how it really is and they will only have misconceptions, probably as I have about most Southern States. Thats just the reality. I've been pleasantly surprised about the treasures of Michigan I never knew about when I lived in California and I know I'll think of them fondly when I leave the state soon for Graduate School. That being said, there are things I do not enjoy including the poverty issues that persist in the urban centers and rural counties, the conservatism of the State Legislature, and what I see as a lack of arts and culture outside of the cities (which could just be my own opinion).

Old 01-16-2013, 02:31 PM

1,143 posts, read 1,642,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humphr96 View Post
I have lived in Michigan for over 8 years now, in three different parts of the state, but I'm originally from Southern California. I think most people not from here see Michigan as a failed industry state, especially the Detroit region. I was also hesitant about moving to Michigan, thinking it would be mostly backwards, country, uneducated people. I now see how absolutely wrong I was. There are many great things about the state, the beautiful lakes and some interesting cities and towns. For most people, if they haven't visited or spent time in a state they won't know how it really is and they will only have misconceptions, probably as I have about most Southern States. Thats just the reality. I've been pleasantly surprised about the treasures of Michigan I never knew about when I lived in California and I know I'll think of them fondly when I leave the state soon for Graduate School. That being said, there are things I do not enjoy including the poverty issues that persist in the urban centers and rural counties, the conservatism of the State Legislature, and what I see as a lack of arts and culture outside of the cities (which could just be my own opinion).
Your last sentence is why I like living in the northern LP close to the coastal towns. These areas seem to have more of an interest in art in my view.

Old 01-16-2013, 04:38 PM

5,739 posts, read 6,934,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by humphr96 View Post
No, you are correct about lack of culture. Most of the residents are farmers and other hard-working people with little interest in the arts (which mostly exist for tourists). Yet I would bet that 90% of Americans are the same.
Also (I have said this before), rather than real information, the mainstream media deals in cliches about places. No wonder that people are ill-informed.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan