Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2012, 09:49 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,214,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
Dont forget Michael Moores work. Didnt help any.
Depends on where you live.

Outside of Michigan, I've mostly lived in blue states (NY, CA, OR, MN) and international countries. Everywhere I've lived, people seemed to have liked Michael Moore a lot.

But, yeah, if a person was from a red state, that would certainly be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2012, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
When I live in Atlanta, everyone seemed to be ambassadors for the city or workers for the chamber of commerce. Despite Atlanta, at that time, having a poverty rate in the top 10, it also had a crime and murder rate right up there with Detroit. It has some very deplorable looking housing projects as well. Hell, they even had the infamous child killings as part of its history. Yet, people in Georgia and Atlanta handled the cities problems a lot different than Michiganders handled the problems of its largest city. People in Atlanta, including the media and citizens, kept the focus on the positive. In Michigan, the media and the residents keep the focus on the negative. Someone forget to tell the people of Michigan about the power of positive thinking and positive suggestions. Michigan has no self confidence or swagger about itself, while places like Atlanta does……AND IT MAKES THE PLACE ATTRACTIVE!!! News flash….confidence and swagger ATTRACTS while self depreciation and a hung head is UNATTRACTIVE. Its human nature 101. Michigan should take the course.
I agree with this. At times, I'm very proud to be from Michigan.

However, when I start reading our Michigan forum, and see all the negativity, i.e. hating Detroit, on and on, it brings it down tremendously.

It's a Michigan thing to hate Detroit. Which makes Michigan look bad in general. Michigan needs more love for Detroit, and embrace the image, embrace the city, etc.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
This talk about weather is always absurd to me.

I have seen it snow in June in Utah, Montana, and Colorado, yet people are flocking to those states.

If anyone doesn't think Michigan is amongst the most beautiful states, they haven't been north of Saginaw or along the coastline.

I think sprawl has taken a significant negative toll - destroying communities and culture in the name of auto convenience.
Utah, Montana and Colorado have mountains. Which means winter recreation like skiing. Additionally, Utah and Colorado are warmer than Michigan.

Old 11-22-2012, 09:59 PM

364 posts, read 878,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seekingcreativity View Post
When most people hear of Michigan, they think of Detroit, the automobile industry which is yoyoing, crazy unemployment rates, a harden winter, and an all around not so great place to live. Furthermore, Michigans don't paint a better picture either. I know so many people from Michigan and the stuff they tell me; it's almost like they're happy on being viewed in such a negative light, yet they come down here in Texas. It seems like some people are ecstatic of wearing a badge of horrid city of the year or decade, and some even fight over it. But I digress, I know many Michigans that put down the very place they live and they have relocated from. I came to visit Michigan during the summer one time and the weather took a horrible turn; worse than Texas! I did enjoy seeing Michigan Lake, didn't see anything else that was worth an ooo and ahh though.
I have seen some of the negativity, but also a lot of people who are proud of MI and who go on the defensive as soon as someone puts the state down. If someone left to relocate, maybe they had problems, thus why you heard the negativity. If you visited someone who LIVES in Michigan, youd probably see someone very friendly as well as proud of our great state. Im surprised you didnt see anything to "ooh and ahh" over in MI. No offense to TX, I know several people that live there (Ive never been), and Im told the natural beauty in MI is something they so greatly miss in TX, as well as the lack of true seasons.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeavinMI709 View Post
I am not sure that people in the south refer to Michiganders as Yankees. That is reserved for folks in New England.
I assumed what you assumed, until I began driving around in the South with my Michigan driver's license. We're 100% considered 'Yankees'. I believe even Californians or people out West, might be referred to as 'Yankees' as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Canadians are equally considered 'Yankee'.

It seems they use the word 'Yankee' for any North American who is not 'Southern'.

Old 11-22-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I broke down outside Dallas one time, small town called Cisco, and they sniffed out the Yankee in me immediately but were extremely nice and went out of their way. There is still Southern hospitality that can't be beat. You just have to laugh *with them* when they say stuff like that. .
I had the same experience with a flat tire off the interstate in Mississippi.

I probably had ten different people pull over within 15 minutes, to help my change my spare tire. I had to almost continually wave them away, and suddenly another would pull over to help.

About the 10th time, I accepted someone's offer to help me change my spare. I probably heard the word 'Yankee' about a dozen times. A lot of yous Yankees have a bad reputation of us, but yous Yankees...etc. He had all good things to say, but MI license plate, just put the word Yankee first and foremost on the tip of his tounge with nearly every sentence he stated!

Old 11-23-2012, 08:16 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,748,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

However, when I start reading our Michigan forum, and see all the negativity, i.e. hating Detroit, on and on, it brings it down tremendously.

It's a Michigan thing to hate Detroit. Which makes Michigan look bad in general. Michigan needs more love for Detroit, and embrace the image, embrace the city, etc.
Agreed.

That along will go a long way to improving Detroit's and the state's image overall.

Old 11-28-2012, 06:03 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,238,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post

It goes beyond Michigan. When I was in NC, everytime Detroit made the national news I heard about it. The mentality in NC was still--If you are from Michigan, where did you live in or how close to Detroit?

Old 11-28-2012, 05:44 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,861,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
It goes beyond Michigan. When I was in NC, everytime Detroit made the national news I heard about it. The mentality in NC was still--If you are from Michigan, where did you live in or how close to Detroit?
I say **** the North Carolinaians. Their heydays are over. Enuff said. Their cities are artificially built douche-bag magnates that don't hold a torch to Detroit, nothing more.

Old 11-28-2012, 07:11 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,160,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I say **** the North Carolinaians. Their heydays are over. Enuff said. Their cities are artificially built douche-bag magnates that don't hold a torch to Detroit, nothing more.
But if they did hold a torch to Detroit at least it wouldn't burn too long.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan