Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 04:36 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,224,162 times

Advertisements

The only problem I have with this and the tourism campaign is that even at todays prices northwest Michigan is out of my price range. I guess that's the way it has always been, the most beautiful places get owned by the rich who don't even stay there year round and have no real interest in a place other than what it can give them. I can wish it were different though.
Still, a very nice, very national, writeup about Traverse City and the surrounding area.
Its on MSNBC.COM under travel, title "New Foodie Havens"

America's next foodie haven - US and Canada- msnbc.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2009, 06:11 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times
It isn't all the rich folk who enjoy Northern Michigan. Some of us actually LIVE here and are by no means rich. As soon as Labor Day comes it isn't like everything closes and it turns into a desolate deserted landscape of empty homes and business just waiting for Memorial Day to come around. Sure there is a small percentage that the rich gimme-gimme-gimme crowd label would apply to, but they really are the minority.

Old 07-07-2009, 07:01 AM

939 posts, read 2,682,084 times
"Owned by the rich"? The only things I've found up here more expensive than the majority of the country are poultry, fuel, and liquor. Other than that, the majority of restaurants are very reasonably priced and other goods and services are at or below the norm. Many of the wealthier folks stay up year-round and actually enjoy the winter. During Cherry Festival this week, I've seen many people who are by no means rich. Gisela, how about taking a ride up here and seeing for yourself?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
The only problem I have with this and the tourism campaign is that even at todays prices northwest Michigan is out of my price range. I guess that's the way it has always been, the most beautiful places get owned by the rich who don't even stay there year round and have no real interest in a place other than what it can give them. I can wish it were different though.
Still, a very nice, very national, writeup about Traverse City and the surrounding area.
Its on MSNBC.COM under travel, title "New Foodie Havens"

America's next foodie haven - US and Canada- msnbc.com

Old 07-07-2009, 09:32 AM

734 posts, read 2,618,263 times
If you haven't had a cherry bratwurst before you die then you did not have a full life.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:08 PM

845 posts, read 3,272,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrmontag View Post
If you haven't had a cherry bratwurst before you die then you did not have a full life.
Funny you should mention them. I had my first last year. I'm now a believer.

Old 07-07-2009, 08:29 PM

313 posts, read 1,195,600 times
What a great article! We are from Downstate and live in OH now, but we knew a bunch of the stuff in the article! How nice to see MI pictured in the news media in such a positive and alluring light! We all know how great it is, but it nice that outsiders are talking it up too! On the downside, I hope Trattoria Stella won't be too crowded the next time we find ourselves up that way!

Old 07-07-2009, 10:33 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,092,300 times
Ya gotta try the cherry wine.

Have it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Old 07-08-2009, 10:19 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,903,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by YAZ View Post
Ya gotta try the cherry wine.

Have it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.

Ok...you gotta quit. Not going that way till August and your making my mouth water!

Old 07-08-2009, 10:54 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,695,883 times
Okay....i live just outside of TC (moved here in Dec.) and now im gonna have to try all that stuff.
And just for the record...we are by no means "rich" we are on the opposite end. Course we're "rich" in love with this place..does that count??

Old 07-08-2009, 11:45 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,866,146 times
Second or third the Cherry Brats. OMG they are good. My DW likes the Cherry wine from Chateau Chantal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan