Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 10:52 AM

8 posts, read 21,175 times

Advertisements

Am considering Marquette and Traverse City for my eventual home. All comments welcome. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2009, 04:10 PM

211 posts, read 587,989 times
Tell us a little bit more about your likes & dislikes, interests, etc.

I find Traverse City to be the perfect blend of small town atmosphere with a splash of cosmopolitan flair. Both have tons of outdoor recreational opportunities but TC being located close to Leelanau Co. and the amazing Lake Michigan beaches gives it an edge in my opinion, plus the OM and Leelanau Peninsula wineries add a nice touch. More dining opportunities, as well. Lake Superior beautiful to look at but I'd rather swim in Lake Michigan. If you you pick Marquette you better reeeaaallly like snow.

Being a TC native, though, I'm decidedly biased.

Old 08-08-2009, 06:41 PM

12 posts, read 71,081 times
Yeah, I think we need to know more about you! What do you wanna do there? Both places have their own schtick! Without knowing anything about you or your plans, it's too hard to tell... if you like the small town thing Marquette... although it's a big town for the UP, it's not around as much as TC. But I love them both. Let's hear about you!

Old 08-11-2009, 08:39 PM

351 posts, read 797,265 times
Actually Mqt is bigger than TC. (check the atlas) TC may have more people in its county and may get more tourist but marquette also has NMU which has a student body of 10,000 and does not count as city population. I think Marquette is a more real town than TC and though lake Mi may be warmer the city of marquette has all open beach TC has none. That being said though both are nice towns.

Old 08-11-2009, 08:46 PM
YAZ

7,708 posts, read 14,086,783 times
I'd call it a draw.

Havta check the snowfall though; not sure who gets more.....

TC gets an awful lot....if it's 10 inches more per season in Marquette....does it really matter?

Bigger deer in TC though....

More morels too.....

Old 12-25-2009, 11:56 PM

9 posts, read 29,047 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joemits View Post
the city of marquette has all open beach TC has none.

Would you (or someone) please explain this? Thank you!

Old 12-27-2009, 05:04 AM

217 posts, read 591,592 times
Yaz......Traverse City doesn't even come CLOSE to the snowfall amounts in Marquette!!! And I am under the impression that Traverse City is a "ritzy" tourist town, and therefore I imagine the rent/housing market is sky high there????????

Old 12-27-2009, 08:02 AM

939 posts, read 2,681,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindseyup67 View Post
Yaz......Traverse City doesn't even come CLOSE to the snowfall amounts in Marquette!!! And I am under the impression that Traverse City is a "ritzy" tourist town, and therefore I imagine the rent/housing market is sky high there????????
Rent & housing are inexpensive compared to other parts of the country. However, it is more expensive than the depressed towns in the UP. Also, Traverse City is not a "ritzy" tourist town. Very family friendly and activities & restaurants for every budget.

Old 12-27-2009, 11:03 AM

199 posts, read 543,139 times
Inexpensive rent? I lived in a town that was of similar size and got a 3 bedroom, 2 1/2 bath townhouse with a garage for the same price as my POS apartment in TC. It was a vacation destination as well but the rentals were much nicer then in TC. Not very many dog friendly rentals in TC either. Marquette has a better night life, lower rent, and younger adults because of the university. It was hard to make friends in TC because the people that live there are older. TC would probably be better for starting a family and it's not as isolated as Marquette.

I lived in both towns and it would be hard for me to move back to either town. Marquette is far away from everything and everyone but has good character and better scenery. Skiing and mountain biking is better but the waters of Superior are much colder.

Old 01-08-2010, 02:13 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,940,154 times
Hands down...Marquette is number one when compairing anyplace in Lower Michigan. The UP is like no other place in the Country...except maybe Anchorage, AK ( on a much smaller scale )... Even reminds me of outlying Anchorage everytime I drive in from out of town , and look at the skyline....We here in Marquette get more snow , temps about the same as Anchorage....Cost of living is much less here , eventhough Marquette IS the most expensive place to live in the UP.... Home building keeps going on , even in the downturn. It is a union town...as far as trades go , so building costs can be high.... Condos have been overbuilt , but more are in the works ...so who knows ?...There is lots on old money around Marquette , looking for a place to spend-invest , so it just keeps building. You would not know you were in Michigan , due to the current activity.......however , the County next dor ..Baraga has the highest unemployment in the Country , about 26 per cent...so who knows what our future holds.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan