Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 01:47 AM

5 posts, read 23,047 times

Advertisements

I really cannot give a solid reason why Michigan instills the loyalty in its citizens that it does. It is what it is. I grew up in many different regions of Michigan and have spent the last 15 years living in other states with my military husband (who is also from MI). We plan on moving home in a few years when he retires; we wouldn't live anywhere else (we just had to for a long time now). We need the four seasons for sure. I love all the water without the sharks:-) We always complain to each other about the laws in our current state, and especially about the driving!! Both my children were born in Alaska, my son asked when we were going to return and I basically said over my dead body. I told him when he grew up he could move there but remember to come visit mommy in MI cause I would miss him. lol. Who knows why, but for us it is home no matter the trials the state is going through.
[SIZE=3] [/SIZE]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 11:43 PM

1 posts, read 1,500 times
Does anyone know if it is illegal to keep utilities on in a deceased persons name? Considering this person is racking up the bills and not paying? And they are not a family member??

Old 04-06-2010, 12:15 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,546,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by actinic View Post
#6 in fact in the % of people born here that stick here ...

Maps: Migration Flows in the United States, Sticky States - Pew Social & Demographic Trends (http://pewsocialtrends.org/maps/migration/stickystate.php - broken link)

Why would this be? In a state which consistently has some of the highest unemployment you would think lots of residents have moved elsewhere to find jobs.

Contrast this to the other statistic - it ranks low (#47) in the % of people who've migrated here from somewhere else. This makes perfect sense - no jobs, no in migration. Same thing happening for many mid western states.

So back to Michigan. Does the state welfare system encourage people to stay? Are so many upside down on their mortgage they can't afford to leave? Are the state's residents less educated, thus less marketable? Is it more a matter or unwillingness or inability? Or can we also say that those who live here & work here are more content to stay?
Okay, why don't the percentages add up to 100%? 22.2% of those living in Michigan were not born here and 67.5% of those living here were born here. Where were the other 10.3% born?

Old 04-06-2010, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky88 View Post
Does anyone know if it is illegal to keep utilities on in a deceased persons name? Considering this person is racking up the bills and not paying? And they are not a family member??
Yes, if they are racking up bills and not paying them. I would say yes even if they were paying them but no one will care if they are paying them.

Our electic service was in the name of a man I never met when I was a kid. He was some old guy who came into the restaurant my mom worked at when I was a baby. He felt sorry for her because she couldn't get the heat turned on in her name so he put it in his. Many years later, it was still in his name. I'm sure he was long gone but mom always paid the bill so it really didn't matter.

Old 04-06-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
Okay, why don't the percentages add up to 100%? 22.2% of those living in Michigan were not born here and 67.5% of those living here were born here. Where were the other 10.3% born?
Ignore this. I had a brain fart. Of course they don't add up to 100%. Why would they? DUH.

Old 04-08-2010, 03:15 PM

6,233 posts, read 9,482,428 times
Quote:
So... a lot of people stay here because it's such a crappy place?

I think Michigan's stickiness has much more to do with deep roots, strong family ties, a sense of tradition, a little bit of insularity, and also the fact that it is a really nice place to live if you're in the right area.

I second the bit of insularity. Being surrounded by water will do that to you.

Old 04-08-2010, 07:11 PM

98 posts, read 145,516 times
I think that in appeal, especially regionally, MI is perfect for a lot of people. There is a great range of nature, 4 seasons, and a couple urban environments throughout the state. I have 5 aunts and uncles, and all but one have come back from NC, CA, and TN. They did come back for family reasons for the most part, but hey, they came back. The other one lives in NJ, and loves the city, so..I don't see him coming back.

That's what I think it is...if you truly crave a big city and it's "fast" pace, you might not come back. MI doesn't have anything in that vein to offer. But obviously, over half the US population prefers the suburbs and rural areas to living within city limits, so another plus for MI and it's residents born here, along with it being cheap to live here.

As a college graduate who has always wanted to ride the subway to work, walk everywhere, and admires tall buildings, I want to get away as fast as possible, but that's just my prerogative. On the other hand, for anyone who appreciates nature and doesn't specifically crave the city life, MI is just fine. But again, I think the key part is those who like the Midwest, will like MI.

Old 11-23-2010, 09:10 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,982,834 times
Couldn't edit the original post.

Updated link: Sticky States | Pew Social & Demographic Trends

Old 11-27-2010, 09:44 PM

21 posts, read 60,115 times
I had to move away from Michigan a few years ago because, as my dad is a construction worker, we had to follow the jobs. I have missed it ever since. We moved to North Carolina, and, while the mountains are great, they just don't cut it for me. I much prefer the Lakes. Someone mentioned that Michigan is a great place to raise a family, and it really is. Everyone is so down-to-earth. People talk about the south like they're old-fashioned and polite, but Michigan is not only more polite, but smarter. Michiganians don't constantly go on about "The South will rise again," and you don't have to hear "Yankee" in a conversation. Anyway, even when you leave, you miss the Lakes, the food, the homey feeling, even the snow. You see Michigan license plates, college sweatshirts, etc, and get excited (I do, at least ).

Old 11-28-2010, 12:12 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,907,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinky88 View Post
My great-grandfather in Cleveland died in 1960. My great-aunt lived in the house until the day he died in 2005. That whole time the telephone was in his name and probably the utilities. I'm not sure if she even had the property deed changed after my great-grandmother died. My grandmother's name is still listed in the phone book and she's been dead four years as well. My uncle living in the house never changed the name on the bill.

The house my wife's family moved into in Detroit when she was young (back in the mid-80s) came complete with a second active phone line in the basement belonging to a city policeman (fireman?) who probably never lived in the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan