Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 10:44 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times

Advertisements

Yes, congrats to Ford!!!!

Also, it was in our local paper this morning that Toyota is already working on securing the replacement parts for those faulty gas pedals. Problem is, it seems that Toyota won't say if they are shipping them to the manufacturing plants to put in new cars so that they can start production again, or if they are shipping them to dealerships to distribute to people who are driving these ticking time bombs. And, according to Fox2 Detroit news last night, there is already a Congressional hearing scheduled to address this huge fiasco. Now, can anyone tell me what might happen to Toyota if and when it is discovered that they are putting production of new cars ahead of replacement of the faulty parts in potentially dangerous existing cars that people are driving even as we speak? This is all going to be very interesting to watch....

BTW, as I mentioned before, dh drives truck for a company that supplies the Big Three plants in MI/OH/IN with parts. Lately, he has been going to the GM pickup truck assembly plant in Roanoke, IN every day. According to him, that place is like a beehive, with trucks coming and going at all times of the night and day, as his company's terminal in downtown Detroit. Seems they are hustling to keep up with demand. Is that awesome, or what?

WELCOME BACK, MICHIGAN!!!!

ETA: After I typed this dh got a call to come into work ASAP, as there is a "hot" load of parts needed in Fort Wayne, meaning that it can't wait until later this evening, not that the parts are stolen, lol. I guess sales are really starting to boom. Woo-hoo!

Last edited by canudigit; 01-29-2010 at 11:09 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 04:58 PM

137 posts, read 331,741 times
Companies like CTS (and others), make ETC's for all the major car companies. There is still no explanation as to what is causing this. One can only hope that it is a programming issue with the onboard system feeding the throttle position sensor with the fuel injection. Keep in mind that you could be driving the same system Toyota uses, on your vehicle. Before we laugh at them, the Tier 1 supplier they chose, makes ETC's for all the major companies. This could get much deeper in the days to come. BTW, if your throttle locks up, common sense says to immediately shift the car into neutral. Duh. Why are we making a major deal of this????

Old 01-29-2010, 05:53 PM

5,985 posts, read 13,127,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Specialbuddy View Post
From Wikipedia:
'The Equinox is produced at the CAMI Automotive GM/Suzuki joint venture plant in Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada. The 3.4 L LNJ V6 engine is made in China (by Shanghai GM), while the Aisin AF33 automatic transmission is made in Japan. Starting with the 2008 model year, the Equinox Sport is fitted with a 3.6 L V6 engine that is made in the U.S.'

Just because the car has a GM logo doesn't mean it's 'American'. The same can be said about the:
Saturn Vue - Mexico
Pontiac Torrent - Mexico
Chevy HHR - Mexico
Pontiac Vibe - Toyota but assembled in California
Chevy Aveo - South Korea
Saturn Astra - Belgium

I'm sure there are others but those are just some that I know of. The big three usually have the hightest Domestic-Parts Content rating though. That's definitely a good thing for our state and country.

Times have changed though. There is no such thing as a 100% American car anymore. Subaru, BMW, Honda, Hyundai, Mazda, Mercedes, Mitsubishi, Nissan, Toyota and Suzuki all have plants in the US. The parts are made in various countries throughout the world.
Born in the U.S.A. - Interactive Graphic - NYTimes.com
Ultimately though, even if there are overseas plants making Ford, GM, Chrysler cars, its still good for Michigan.

All the engineering, R & D, marketing, financial support is largely based around metro Detroit (not that I need to tell anyone that). This is all in turn good for secondary businesses: (schools, hospitals, retail, etc.) and overall profits at Ford, GM, Chrysler, mean more local investment into projects around metro Detroit and Michigan, that obviously wouldn't be there if it were Toyota doing well.

The actual factory jobs in the long run probably aren't as important as the white collar and corporate jobs in terms of turning Detroit in the right direction.

This with more economic diversification, (ie: movie studios) and things like Quicken Loans moving downtown, and mayor Bings no-nonsense business-like style of being mayor, maybe theres some real hope on the horizon for that area.

Old 01-31-2010, 12:26 AM

2,057 posts, read 5,327,375 times
isnt Ford also building the Hybrid focus in Michigan?

Old 01-31-2010, 09:48 AM

2,544 posts, read 4,283,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by junior 88 fan View Post
Companies like CTS (and others), make ETC's for all the major car companies. There is still no explanation as to what is causing this. One can only hope that it is a programming issue with the onboard system feeding the throttle position sensor with the fuel injection. Keep in mind that you could be driving the same system Toyota uses, on your vehicle. Before we laugh at them, the Tier 1 supplier they chose, makes ETC's for all the major companies. This could get much deeper in the days to come. BTW, if your throttle locks up, common sense says to immediately shift the car into neutral. Duh. Why are we making a major deal of this????
In my opinion, this is a software problem, not a mechanical problem. The cars Toyota sells in China and other Asian countries are also experiencing this prblem. They have ETC assemblies made in Japan by Denso.

FWIW, you do not have a mechanical linkage to the transmission, either. When you put the lever in neutral, you are making a request to the computer for this to happen. If you are under heavy acceleration or at high speeds, the computer may well think that you have made a mistake, and not grant your request.

Not as simple as you make it sound.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:07 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,856,367 times
Toyota's problems have actually helped one Michigan supplier:

Toyota praises GR Spring & Stamping, says it's sole parts supplier for recalled North American vehicles | West Michigan Business - - MLive.com

Old 02-03-2010, 10:49 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,311,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Good to know, thanks for sharing that.

Meanwhile, just what is going on at Toyota? Just happened across this article on the main Yahoo! news page:

Toyota hit by over 100 Prius brake complaints - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Toyota-hit-by-over-100-Prius-apf-61349719.html?x=0 - broken link)

Now the brakes in Toyota Priuses are failing too? Well, Ford and GM, better jump on this one too. Christmas came early this year in Michigan, didn't it? Seriously though, I hope that there are no further injuries reported from this malfunction and that Toyota gets those replacement parts to the public ASAP.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:00 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,901,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
Good to know, thanks for sharing that.

Meanwhile, just what is going on at Toyota? Just happened across this article on the main Yahoo! news page:

Toyota hit by over 100 Prius brake complaints - Yahoo! Finance (http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Toyota-hit-by-over-100-Prius-apf-61349719.html?x=0 - broken link)

Now the brakes in Toyota Priuses are failing too? Well, Ford and GM, better jump on this one too. Christmas came early this year in Michigan, didn't it? Seriously though, I hope that there are no further injuries reported from this malfunction and that Toyota gets those replacement parts to the public ASAP.
I did hear that most of the brake parts from the first problem were made at a plant in Indiana, and most of the cars were made in the U.S. I am not sure if this is true or not.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:35 AM

116 posts, read 409,188 times
I think it will make toyota stronger than ever.I believe any talk about someting good or bad draws attention and that will boost sales for toyota.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:48 AM

99 posts, read 281,746 times
Not sure I agree with that. Owners are now finding out Toyota knew about these problems for years and didn't bother with a recall to fix them. By constantly ignoring these complaints and/or telling the customer it was their fault, people are going to think twice about buying from them again. It might give them attention, but it might not be the kind Toyota was hoping for.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan