Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2007, 09:36 PM

14 posts, read 39,481 times

Advertisements

The main campus is in Lansing. But I can choose to attend the satellite campuses in Rochester or Grand Rapids. I graduated from St. Mary's University in San Antonio.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2007, 09:53 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,901,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcase0225 View Post
The main campus is in Lansing. But I can choose to attend the satellite campuses in Rochester or Grand Rapids. I graduated from St. Mary's University in San Antonio.
Online classes > satellite campuses

Rochester/Rochester Hills and Grand Rapids are both nice (the former is my hometown), yet socially somewhat different. If depends whether or not you are interested in a large metro area, or a midsize Midwestern city.

Old 06-10-2007, 09:54 PM

8,002 posts, read 18,607,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by khfar View Post
Why do you have to be so nasty? I don't think I'm nuts, I just think I know good Mexican food. And yes, we did go to Mexicantown and it was good. But let's be realistic here...I have two small children. If I want to go and get a good Mexican fix for lunch or dinner, I'm not going to run over to Mexicantown to get it. Understand that, we're used to having a kick a** Mex restaurant on just about every corner, where we're from. That's just not the case in MI.
There are authentic mexican restaurants out in the suburbs too!!

Old 06-10-2007, 09:57 PM

I think that at least for my first semester my husband and daughter are going to stay in San Antonio, so I need some place that a woman would feel safe. I love city life, but I also must consider my safety.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:01 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,901,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb68-19 View Post
There are authentic mexican restaurants out in the suburbs too!!
She loves 'city life' and is talking about metro Detroit.

Chipotle on Rochester Road is great and authentic Mexican food!
... maybe there are some good options in Royal Oak?

Old 06-10-2007, 10:15 PM

Wait...we are getting off the subject. Most of the mexican food I will be eating will be made by me, since I am Mexican.

ok...so I like city life, but am talking about metro Detriot. Tell me more. I really just want a quiet city, where I can study, no distractions. I will make it easy, Rochester or Grand Rapids.

Please keep in mind, I have never, ever been to Michigan. I need pointers.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:18 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,453,473 times
Assuming that there is no significant dropoff with the satellite campuses, I stick by Rochester since you are going to law school. Rochester is very safe and a nice area.

Zumba's in Royal Oak - I miss the Mission in San Francisco, but Zumba's more than adequately satisfies my periodic cravings for good Mexican.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:22 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,942,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcase0225 View Post
I am moving to Michigan in December from San Antonio, TX. Should I choose to attend school in Rochester, Lansing, or Grand Rapids? I will be moving alone, so would like some place safe. Not into the party or club scene, so nightlife does not matter to me.
Why not give NMU a try. great school, cost of living reasonable , lots of outdoor activities, clean, safe, low crime. Marquette is a very progressive town, and , one of the few places in Michigan thats growing, and the economy is relatively strong. ( Not dependent on the auto trade ). best bike trails in the country, ski, hockey, one of top 10 medical hospitals in the country. Lots of coffee houses, and the view from everywhere is as good as it gets...that of the worlds largest freshwater lake.....Lake Superior.Whole town is wifi, and all students get free access, and a lap top !, I am told......check it out.

Old 06-10-2007, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cato the Elder View Post
Assuming that there is no significant dropoff with the satellite campuses, I stick by Rochester since you are going to law school. Rochester is very safe and a nice area.

Zumba's in Royal Oak - I miss the Mission in San Francisco, but Zumba's more than adequately satisfies my periodic cravings for good Mexican.
Thanks. This is what I am looking for. I definitely want safe and nice. Anything more you can tell about Rochester?

Old 06-10-2007, 10:23 PM

418 posts, read 1,785,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
She loves 'city life' and is talking about metro Detroit.

Chipotle on Rochester Road is great and authentic Mexican food!
... maybe there are some good options in Royal Oak?
Ooooh, no! NO! Chipotle is a chain. Trust me...my husband has been up there for 5 months now. There are a lot of good restaurants in the area, but no Mexican ones. I think we'll have to continue to make our own, or go to Mexicantown, to get our fixes!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan