Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2010, 02:44 PM

6,727 posts, read 9,955,064 times

Advertisements

Returning from vacation at the Jersey shore, we encountered some heavy traffic along the NE Extension of the PA turnpike, so we pulled into a service plaza to stretch. There were several military vehicles parked there, and many men and women dressed in fatigues.

At different times, one or another of them passed in close proximity to where I was standing, and I said, "Thank you for your service." And each of them in turn seemed genuinely surprised that I spoke and said something to the effect of "Yes, ma'am" or "You're welcome" or "Thank you", and each of them followed that with "You have a nice day." But the look of surprise, or the moment's hesitation before acknowledgeing my greeting led me to believe that they don't hear it very often.

I would like to encourage everyone to take the few seconds it takes to thank those in the military, regardless of their reason for being there, for being willing to put themselves in harm's way if need be. I know three service people went back on the road today feeling appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2010, 04:16 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
Because it is surprising. I've gone years at a time of walking around the local communities and no one noticing I'm in uniform. Most of us in uniform live and work near a base, and everyone is used to seeing us. When I lived near a base I'd see dozens of people in uniform all the time, off base. We become part of the scenery. Now that I live away from a base, I CAN NOT even stop at the grocery store to get a gallon of milk without being thanked by 4 or 5 people. It's nice, but it can be a little awkward, and can really slow me down when I'm in a rush.

Old 07-31-2010, 04:43 PM

46,289 posts, read 27,108,503 times
Yep very different when someone says that...

Being retired, I try NOT to show my ID, but when they see it 80% of the time I do not get a "hey thanks for your service"...do I expect it? Nope, I completed my 21 years and I know I changed peoples lives...

When I do get the compliment, I always say something...and most of the time I talk with them for a while...

Old 07-31-2010, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarie123 View Post
Because it is surprising. I've gone years at a time of walking around the local communities and no one noticing I'm in uniform. Most of us in uniform live and work near a base, and everyone is used to seeing us. When I lived near a base I'd see dozens of people in uniform all the time, off base. We become part of the scenery. Now that I live away from a base, I CAN NOT even stop at the grocery store to get a gallon of milk without being thanked by 4 or 5 people. It's nice, but it can be a little awkward, and can really slow me down when I'm in a rush.
My entire exchange with these people lasted no more than seven or eight seconds. I said five words, they said a couple, and we both continued on our way. I wasn't looking to start a conversation because I recognize that I am a stranger to them and they have things to do, as have I.

I get annoyed when I hold a door open for someone and they breeze by me without so much as a thanks. If they said "thank you" it wouldn't detain either of us. I can't imagine not recognizing the sacrifice of serving this country. I think I will continue to say how much I appreciate what you and all the military do for me, since I am unable to do it for myself.

No disrespect intended.

Old 07-31-2010, 07:51 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,331,320 times
I wasn't saying I'm rude. Just the opposite. I appreciate the thanks. But I'm the type of person who can be in my own world when I'm in a rush, and getting stopped and thanked 3-4 times in the grocery store does cause me to stop and talk. I have to stop, smile, shake hands, say something back. It's not a big deal. I'm not trying to make it sound like a big deal.

Let me rephrase and try to clarify.

I LIKE when people stop me to thank me, I LIKE it. I think it's nice, and kind, and I think that it also makes the person stopping me feel good. However, if EVERY person stopped me, I'd never get anything done. I LIKE IT! But I don't want EVERY person doing it all the time. That's all I meant.

I never know what to say. I don't feel right saying, "You're welcome" because I don't feel like I've done much to be thanked for. I've never deployed, I've not sacrificed anything that the American taxpayer hasn't justly and fully compensated me for, I've never risked my life, I've never felt like I've done anything to be thanked for. So I can't say "You're welcome" without feeling smug. Once, I tried saying, "Thank you" because I wanted to thank the person for being so nice and stopping to talk to me. When I said "Thank you" back, the person was like, "Don't thank me, thank you" and I just didn't know what to say after that. So now I don't say "Thank you" back. And I can't just say, "um, ok."

So that's what I mean. I don't mean that you shouldn't stop and thank people in uniform. I think it's a great thing to do.

I was just trying to explain why it surprised the service men and women. We aren't used to it, and would venture that other people are like me, we don't know what to say back. It might have been surprise, and gratitude and appreciation coming over their faces, but the first time it happened to me I'm sure it was also, "OMG what do I say back" panic on my face. LOL

I don't feel like I'm doing a good job of explaining myself here. I can't find the right way to explain it.

Please don't stop thanking people, that's not what I meant. Just that it can be awkward if you're not used to it. I personally feel a little put on the spot, but still appreciate the thanks.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:28 AM

^^^
I'm smiling as I read your post, dmarie. I understand what you are expressing and I sympathize with you. Apparently, some folks, in an effort to be nice, take it as an opportunity to "get to know you."

I would never infringe on someone's space or time, and I definitely don't expect a handshake or a chat. I'm just overwhelmingly proud of the people who have chosen to spend part of their lives in service to the country (and to me), whether it's short term or long term. And "thank you" costs me nothing.

Thanks for your input. And thank you for your service.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:44 AM

2,189 posts, read 7,702,516 times
I completely agree with DMarie's last past.

I go on TDY's (temp duty) a lot and get thanked often, usually when my group goes out to lunch. Often people will even offer to pay for our lunch, I've tried a few times to refuse the offer but that never turns out well. Someone made up their mind they're going to pay for a serviceman's lunch and won't take no for an answer, even if it's from the serviceman. Here we are, a bunch of mid level-upper NCO's making $50+ a day in per diem for some wasteful TDY and a random person wants to pay for us. Mean while there's people overseas risking their life in a foxhole; thanks for the free lunch I cannot refuse.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:52 AM

7,685 posts, read 13,144,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Returning from vacation at the Jersey shore, we encountered some heavy traffic along the NE Extension of the PA turnpike, so we pulled into a service plaza to stretch. There were several military vehicles parked there, and many men and women dressed in fatigues.

At different times, one or another of them passed in close proximity to where I was standing, and I said, "Thank you for your service." And each of them in turn seemed genuinely surprised that I spoke and said something to the effect of "Yes, ma'am" or "You're welcome" or "Thank you", and each of them followed that with "You have a nice day." But the look of surprise, or the moment's hesitation before acknowledging my greeting led me to believe that they don't hear it very often.
I would like to encourage everyone to take the few seconds it takes to thank those in the military, regardless of their reason for being there, for being willing to put themselves in harm's way if need be. I know three service people went back on the road today feeling appreciated.
You also have to remember one thing about being a GI living near a GI town on active duty, you usually don't ever here "thank you for your service" from the locals. In Fact, most of the time your concidered as a low life to them, someone that has infected their town by swarms. So badly this has gotten that in Norfolk Va it's not uncommon to see signs in peoples yards that read, "Keep your dog off my grass and that goes for SEADOGS". So when your out in the real world "as we called it" and a civilian comes up to you and gives you a compliment, it will set you a little aside. And believe me you, it does make one feel good when you get an At-A-Boy from those who you are really serving for, "the average American Tax Payer".

I'm a retired Navy SeaBee now and I would always return to them that gave me a compliment with a, "Thank you for letting me serve". And that would usually get me a a big smile back from them.

Old 08-01-2010, 05:08 PM

20,764 posts, read 19,976,767 times
I have never experienced military hostility in Norfolk with my Navy-husband. In fact most people I spoke to have been in the military, or a relative, or a friend, or a neighbor who was/is military. If you live in Norfolk and don't like the military, you better move somewhere else because you see it every day and they get discounts everywhere which must be annoying to some people.

Now we are in CA-Port Hueneme and some people thank my husband for his service and it makes me proud when I stand next to him. It helps a little over the pain when he gets deployed.

In my country (Germany), nobody gives a crap about the military.

Old 08-01-2010, 08:54 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,674 times
On the flip side, my husband does not like the attention. He gets somewhat embarrassed when people come up to him and thank him and he always responds back, but later tells me he is just doing his job and deserves no thanks and that I am the one that deserves the thanks for what I go through. People sometimes thank me as well, but I, too, feel that is not necessary. We both do appreciate the fact that people recognize the sacrifice military members and their families make and that there are many people out there that feel a simple thanks is the least they can do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues