Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 08:27 PM

2,318 posts, read 1,896,112 times

Advertisements

I'm not with any anti-troop or American hating group , but this crap is getting bad with rules of engagment and sending sick peopel back to war .Waaaayyyy too many suicides now , has to be a reason .

I hope this doesn't get me in trouble here 'again' .

Too many young peopel are joining the military . Too many are being injured and doped up .

Make sure you will really be fighting for your country .Seems to me 'your ' country is being invaded while many of its finest is beng maimed and killed in a war of politics . I'm as patriotic as it gets and honor all vets . So I want to make sure that when we send them off to war it's for the right thing . I voted for the warmonger twice and I feel terrible everytime I hear and see a injured vet or hear of another useless death because of ROE or too many deployments .

Once you sign up theres no turning back .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2010, 10:21 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by birdsthatsing View Post
I was actually on goarmy.com today and saw they had a 360* view of the barracks so I checked that out and they don't look at all what I expected them to look like.
It depends on what post you are on, maybe what unit you are in and what your rank is. There are living quarters being built or refurbished all the time. So every Soldier who is a private in the whole world does not have the same living conditions. So all the U.S. Army Sergeant's in the world do not have the same living quarters...

Make due with what you have.

Rich

Old 08-11-2010, 12:16 PM

12 posts, read 107,734 times
So have you thought about what you would like to do in the Military? or where you would like to be stationed? These are two options you can work into your contract with your recruiter. Along with a bonus and schools if available. Look into what field you want to work in and don't limit your options for the next three or fours years. Look beyond the military because you may not enjoy being in the the service so you want an MOS wish transferable skills into the civilian sector.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:19 PM

7 posts, read 17,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frosty_65 View Post
So have you thought about what you would like to do in the Military? or where you would like to be stationed? These are two options you can work into your contract with your recruiter. Along with a bonus and schools if available. Look into what field you want to work in and don't limit your options for the next three or fours years. Look beyond the military because you may not enjoy being in the the service so you want an MOS wish transferable skills into the civilian sector.
I was looking to go into Pharmaceuticals, which obviously could work for me outside of the military. I hadn't thought about where I'd like to be stationed though. I've heard/read all about the "dream sheet" but wasn't sure how it all worked.

Old 08-11-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
I've heard/read all about the "dream sheet" but wasn't sure how it all worked.
It's a preference statement. You fill it out with your three duty station choices and then as they say "dream". It probably works for some people, but you can get a better idea by calling your "Branch Manager" and finding out what is available, then you can put that down and you have a better chance.

But a lot of variables are involved.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:02 PM

7 posts, read 17,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
It's a preference statement. You fill it out with your three duty station choices and then as they say "dream". It probably works for some people, but you can get a better idea by calling your "Branch Manager" and finding out what is available, then you can put that down and you have a better chance.

But a lot of variables are involved.
3? I thought it was 8 stateside and 8 overseas. Not that it matters, I couldn't pick 8 choices if I tried but just wanted to clear up my own confusion.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:41 PM

Quote:
3? I thought it was 8 stateside and 8 overseas. Not that it matters, I couldn't pick 8 choices if I tried but just wanted to clear up my own confusion.
I don't recall the numbers. What is important is that you find out what is available. Some people prefer overseas and some stateside. I don't know at what point you can call your branch manager, but they are the ones most likely to know where you can go. Also you unit First Sergeant many times knows where assignments are and can sometimes call branch for you. There are a lot of opportunities in the military, you have to start learning how to find them and take them...

Rich

Old 08-11-2010, 10:22 PM

541 posts, read 2,138,674 times
Good luck with your decision.

Have you taken the ASVAB yet? That will determine which jobs you are qualified for. As for Pharmacy Tech, if you do not have a chemistry course with a C grade or above on your transcript (HS or college), forget it. My daughter went through MEPS in April, and chemistry was required. Also, she signed towards the end of April but doesn't ship to Basic until next week. As others have said, it depends on job training openings - some wait times are longer than others.

Old 08-14-2010, 10:36 AM

175 posts, read 302,564 times
I got sent to Carson for my first duty station and all of our barracks (that I've seen anyway) are essentially 2 person apartments. There are 2 separate bedrooms so you have you're own room with only one roommate. The room is pretty huge with a bed, a desk/chair/drawers, another 3 drawer sets, and a large walk-in closet with shelves. There's a shower/toilet in one room with a separate area next to it with the sink/mirror and 2 medicine cabinets so one person can get ready while the other uses the shower/toilet. There's a stove, microwave, sink, and refrigerator in the kitchen with a counter area/chairs where you can sit and eat. It's actually pretty nice and much larger than the studio apartment I was renting in my downtown city apartment where I was before joining the Army.

Old 08-14-2010, 12:15 PM

2,189 posts, read 7,702,516 times
Quote:
That's Air Force. All the branches are different. My Army buddy says it's 3 stateside and 2 overseas and is commonly referred to as a WISH LIST. The Army has had pick a base option in the past.

There is also the national guard but getting a full time job is extremely competitive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues