Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2011, 08:37 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I think she meant that she plans to live close to home... deployments are temporary
Perhaps my misunderstanding. I have met people who can not seem to endure being away from home/family for more than a week. Six months might cause some people some distress.

As far as "Temporary" on was on TDY (Temporary Duty) slightly over 1,000 days during a five year period (do the math), that's a lot of temporary...

Thanks for your input, but ANG can vary from state to state, and other factors.

Rich
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2011, 10:17 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho_NM View Post
Perhaps my misunderstanding. I have met people who can not seem to endure being away from home/family for more than a week. Six months might cause some people some distress.

As far as "Temporary" on was on TDY (Temporary Duty) slightly over 1,000 days during a five year period (do the math), that's a lot of temporary...

Thanks for your input, but ANG can vary from state to state, and other factors.

Rich
yes, the number of deployments can vary from state to state, and even W/I the same state. My unit hasn't sent anyone overseas since 2004.

Old 01-22-2011, 10:41 PM

10 posts, read 111,337 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guamanians View Post
I think she meant that she plans to live close to home... deployments are temporary
The good thing about the Nat'l Guard is that you can't get permanently reassigned. Most deployments in the ANG are 6 months or less. I've been in the ANG for 11 yrs, and most of the deployments have been voluntary. Sure, there havebeen a few mandatory activations, but they were for 2-3 months. there are also some deployments to Hawaii, Guam, Alaska, Spain, etc. yes, the Guard is fighting the war, but we always come back to the same place.
Yeah, sorry, I meant that I would prefer to live close to home. I wouldn't mind being deployed and away from family. It's part of the job, and I'd be happy to do it. I'm in Utah, and have a couple friends that are active Air Force, but not many that are ANG, so not a whole lot of people that I can get advice from. So, I'm still trying to get more information before I make my decision.

Old 01-23-2011, 06:35 AM

3,378 posts, read 3,707,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ope522 View Post
Yeah, sorry, I meant that I would prefer to live close to home. I wouldn't mind being deployed and away from family. It's part of the job, and I'd be happy to do it. I'm in Utah, and have a couple friends that are active Air Force, but not many that are ANG, so not a whole lot of people that I can get advice from. So, I'm still trying to get more information before I make my decision.
There is an ANG unit in Salt Lake City. Maybe you can check it out and get a feel for it?

Old 01-28-2015, 05:09 AM

1 posts, read 2,331 times
I have the opportunity to join the Air Guard I really want too do it since my dad was in it as well. But I just got offered a full time job with a company I really like and I don't think it would work for them too let me keep my job when I go too basic and AIT. I honestly I am torn and not sure which way too go. I don't know if I get more opportunities with the AIR guard or it just be better too take this job and not join at all. Any feedback would be appreciated and any experiences close too mine that anyone else has encounter? I think the company would get pretty mad if I go too work for a couple months then be like hey I'm leaving for basic and all so bye! I really wouldn't want too do that.

Old 07-29-2015, 02:04 PM

1 posts, read 1,967 times
I'm a Registered Nurse with a BSN and an MSN for nursing education in progress. I graduate in 5 months. I have a "friend of a friend" who joined the ANG and is a Nurse Educator. He loves it. I am currently inquiring to see about doing the same. I have a base within an hour of my home. From what I'm hearing, they say (but you know, "they" aren't particularly reliable) that considering that my education and expertise would be used to train other nurses (active duty) there is only an infinitesimal chance that I'd be deployed and the fact that I'm already 46 doesn't make me particularly desirable for a deployment situation.

Is this the case? Or am I completely off base with this?

Old 07-29-2015, 03:17 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times
Check all your available options... Whatever they might be.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:48 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,220,959 times
Do you have any particular reservations about either? I was only 4 active but 21 Guard. I'm glad I did it and it was special and all that. I will also say though that it seems like that one weekend a month is always the wedding, class reunion, family reunion etc. that you want to go to. 1 weekend a month, a couple of extra for "summer camp" and a maybe a few other TDY's can eat up to a third of your weekends a year for 20 years, if you do 20.

If you want to serve your country that doesn't mean till retirement. Its a good experience, good comraderie, a little extra cash even if you just do your one mandatory term of either active or Guard. If you have a good job (hard to come by these days) and want to do a term of Guard I say go for it. Hopefully your job will be understanding about basic and tech school time off?

Old 08-05-2015, 11:38 AM

324 posts, read 387,800 times
I've been in both and both have their advantages. Full time pay is great, career advancement and travel are several benefits of active duty. Once upon a time some people joined the guard or reserves to avoid the draft but the guard and reserves are often called on during wartime to supplement the regulars now.
Stability is one advantage that the guard and reserves have more of the regulars but it has diminished a lot since the good old days.

walessp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues