Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 10:40 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,773,200 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I understand that you looked at your options and decided Tricare Prime was best for you.
That is correct.

Quote:
I understand that Tricare Prime is not available to the OP.
That is what the OP stated.

Quote:
My question remains is Tricare Standard enough for the OP; Or is there truly a need for a supplement?
I can't answer that, the OP has to decide that.

Quote:
Is there some part of Standard that is faulty for the OP?
I can't answer that, the OP has to determine that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2012, 07:56 PM

316 posts, read 660,857 times
The original question was WHAT supplemental policies are people using these days with standard coverage that wanted extra coverage that didn't qualify for prime due to their location. Their are other medical conditions that surface in the future that are not VA service connected nor is the family dependents covered under VA...

Old 11-02-2012, 12:09 PM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Ranosb......

Not sure of your location, and i think that makes a 'practical' difference.

I am in a rural/urban area with 'normal' health care services. I use Standard.

If i go to see a physician for a simple event.....ear infection type thing, and let's say the bill is $100. I might end up paying $20 out of that $100 by the time TriCare gets done saying what they allow, and then what they pay of the allowed amount. If the physician accepts their payment, and they all do, the physician cannot charge me any more than the 'allowed' amount. For the $100 it might be $68 is allowed, Tricare pays 48, and i pay twenty. (Numbers for example only).

If I go for a major event....MRI, Back surgery, rehab, Standard ends up covering virtually all of the costs...the provider accepts the assignment and writes off the balance.

I bring this up so you can gauge whether what you might pay out of pocket by using Standard accumulates to more that what you might pay in premiums.

For me, i am satisfied with Standard and have never thought about purchasing anything additional.

Old 11-02-2012, 01:36 PM

9,324 posts, read 16,667,243 times
We had Tricare Standard with a MOAA supplement. It worked great for us as I had quite a few CT and PET scans, kidney removed, and the office visits to go along with it. Never paid anything extra.

Old 11-03-2012, 06:00 PM

Thanks!
I plan on moving to NW Indiana and the area I'm going only allows Tricare Standard. If Obama gets re-Elected [Which I don't believe will happen], tricare standard will start having a premium we will have to pay and Prime will get raised as well. In fact it will go up 350% over a 5yr period!

Old 11-05-2012, 09:18 AM

8,079 posts, read 10,081,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranosb View Post
Thanks!
I plan on moving to NW Indiana and the area I'm going only allows Tricare Standard. If Obama gets re-Elected [Which I don't believe will happen], tricare standard will start having a premium we will have to pay and Prime will get raised as well. In fact it will go up 350% over a 5yr period!
RanosB.....put that email ( i received it too!) heading where you got the "350% increase" into Snopes and you will discover that those "projections" for insurance cost rises are complete bunk. Federal insurance programs are monitored by Boards, and IIRC, the five year projections are for about a 5% increase over that period of time.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:30 PM

Nothing in snopes, but hope what you say is true...

Old 11-08-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Themanwithnoname View Post
I'm attempting to use the VA since its servirely connected, and I'm betting it'll be expensive, so that 25% (thought it was 20?) That will be my responsibility would add up!

I'm also tier 1 in the VA.
20% for Active Duty Dependents, 25% for retirees...

Old 11-13-2012, 04:13 PM

424 posts, read 580,796 times
Suggest you take a look at my post "Military Retirees to Lose Tricare Prime"

Old 11-14-2012, 03:46 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,178,918 times
It looks like TRICARE Prime is going away for all the retired people. I wish they would have published this in 2007 rather than keeping it under the radar. All I ever read was the TRICARE Prime costs were going up, but not a total elimination of the program.

I am too looking for a TRICARE STANDARD supplement. There are several out there and still need to find some more recommendations for which one is going to work for me.

One scary part of this mess is the CBO recommended that the cap for standard be raised from 3000 dollars a year to 7500 dollars a year. I would have to think this is a push to force retired people to buy their own insurance or use their employers insurance rather than use TRICARE.

I remember reading a few years ago that the JCS Generals wanted to dump the retired military or make them pay more since they were actually using tricare after they retired. Amazing, they actually thought we would not use this medical insurance after we retired and it was our own generals and admirals pushing the idea to dump us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues