Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2014, 09:20 AM

26,527 posts, read 51,747,211 times

Advertisements

The Navy "Broadened Opportunity for Officer Selection and Training" (BOOST), a program intended to help junior Sailors become officers, was officially disestablished June 30, 2009.

Ref: http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=46651
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2014, 12:06 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,079,726 times
I know of two officers that went to college in the '90's while getting active duty salary. The first was a 1LT who didn't have his 4-yr degree but did have his AA. He went to college to finish.up his degree and didn't have to report but maybe monthly. Second officer was a ArmyCaptain that got selected.for law school and went all three years while getting Captain's pay. I think he owed another six years active time as a service obligation. I'm sure he just stayed until he got his 20 years.

Old 05-23-2014, 03:26 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,345,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsonkk View Post
I know of two officers that went to college in the '90's while getting active duty salary. The first was a 1LT who didn't have his 4-yr degree but did have his AA. He went to college to finish.up his degree and didn't have to report but maybe monthly. Second officer was a ArmyCaptain that got selected.for law school and went all three years while getting Captain's pay. I think he owed another six years active time as a service obligation. I'm sure he just stayed until he got his 20 years.
Your first example is someone who went to Officer Candidate School, and after proving to be a competent officer, later was sent to degree completion program.

Your second was a selectee for funded legal education program. 25 per year, already officers, are selected and sent to law school.

There are multiple great programs like that, mostly associated that the selectees already have some skin in the game (commission, an AA, etc.)

OP's question:

Quote:
Originally Posted by glamatomic
Has anybody ever heard of this happening? Active Duty- going to college of choice- and never having to report!?
The answer to that, at least in the last three decades, is no.

Old 05-23-2014, 08:05 PM

9,512 posts, read 9,079,726 times
There isn't support for.paying somebody's college while they don't serve or conduct some type of officer training. We already have a waiting list for most Rotc programs and Ocs programs. It's the same.argument as pilot candidates; why take.anyone that needs glasses when dozens of qualified applicants don't need glasses.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:31 AM

2 posts, read 822 times
Having made SP5 and reenlisted for six years (and eight grand) I just flipped to page 12...
[url=http://usahec.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16635coll11/id/2103]AR 621-1 Training of Military Personnel at Civilian Institutions :: Military Publications - Army Regulations - USAHEC[/url]
Long story short, my ONLY duty for 16 months was to make at least C's. Thank you, DANTES.

Old 03-11-2018, 06:34 AM

2 posts, read 822 times
Sorry 'bout that. Please cut/paste.
[url=http://usahec.contentdm.oclc.org/cdm/ref/collection/p16635coll11/id/2103]AR 621-1 Training of Military Personnel at Civilian Institutions :: Military Publications - Army Regulations - USAHEC[/url]

Old 03-12-2018, 01:26 PM

24,598 posts, read 9,437,319 times
There are Air Force commissioning programs for active duty that will send them to college or the academy to get their degree.

https://www.airforce.com/education/ongoing-education

But you’re on active duty only after you graduate to get your commission
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues