Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2013, 05:18 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times

Advertisements

Just read the title. Not interested in reading sucja long post on my phone. Anyways, did you file bankruptcy? Bad credit/credit history is not a disqualified, as long as you show a willingness to pay. They look at everything, with nothing else crazy, you may be scrutinized but not denied. A lot harder to get a clearance with a bankruptcy, though
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2013, 09:36 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,344,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northerner916 View Post
I am interested in joining the military. I went through a foreclosure several years ago after my husband was laid off and couldn't find another job for well over a year. There is no outstanding balance from the foreclosure. Our credit reports show that the loan account is closed and that the balance is $0. From what I understand, security officers look into your financial history to see if you are under financial duress and therefore easily influenced by foreign interests to sell state secrets. Since the foreclosure was a one-time occurrence (credit history is otherwise pristine) and there is no outstanding balance due, would I be able to get a security clearance? Has anyone had a foreclosure and still received/maintained a security clearance?
You can get a clearance with literally anything...anything...in your past. What you need to do is show you have mitigated the questionable behavior to where you are not subject to outside pressure. Someone couldn't contact you, for instance, and say 'I know you've done drugs, and here's what you'll do or I'll reveal that information.'

Whatever you've done or not done: tell the investigator full, frank, and truthful answers and volunteer anything not addressed that you think is pertinent. Lying to them or withholding pertinent information is far worse than most kinds of behavior.

As to the poster with the 'loose lips sink ships' thing: security clearance standards are not secret, at all. There is nothing wrong with the OP's question, and you're overreacting. Common problem when dealing with clearance-type issues. My favorite are the messages on the network like:

'Hey, we're going for lunch to the PX. UNCLASSIFIED/FOUO' Riiiiiiight....

Old 02-23-2013, 09:59 PM

6 posts, read 29,704 times
Great advice, GeorgiaTransplant. Thanks for your response. I guess I'll have to try and see what happens. I'm not planning on hiding anything, of course, so hopefully it all works out.

Old 02-24-2013, 03:39 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:
Great advice, GeorgiaTransplant. Thanks for your response. I guess I'll have to try and see what happens. I'm not planning on hiding anything, of course, so hopefully it all works out.

Keep the faith. It will.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:18 AM

455 posts, read 898,148 times
Quote:
I am interested in joining the military. I went through a foreclosure several years ago after my husband was laid off and couldn't find another job for well over a year. There is no outstanding balance from the foreclosure. Our credit reports show that the loan account is closed and that the balance is $0. From what I understand, security officers look into your financial history to see if you are under financial duress and therefore easily influenced by foreign interests to sell state secrets. Since the foreclosure was a one-time occurrence (credit history is otherwise pristine) and there is no outstanding balance due, would I be able to get a security clearance? Has anyone had a foreclosure and still received/maintained a security clearance?
In short, yes... ish.
Assuming you don't pop any red flags in other aspects, and you don't have a history of drowning in new debt, then you'll qualify for a Secret clearance. I was in a debt and had balances in collection and got denied for a Secret, which was required for my MOS. So I had to pay down the debt. Once I did, I got the clearance.

As far as Top Secret, the vetting process is obviously going to be more strict. My buddy applied for a TS after I got out and listed me as a reference, and a special agent came to my house and grilled me about him for an hour and a half with all sorts of crazy personal questions about him.
He ended up getting the clearance, but he's never been in debt so I can't use that as a comparison. I just know that prior debt is ok to an extent for a Secret, assuming you paid off the balance(s) and don't show a history of consistent irresponsibility.

A past foreclosure isn't likely to be as bad as running up credit cards and not paying them off (what I did). At least, that's what I'm assuming.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:42 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Agree overall. I had a TS clearance and worked with intel systems. My clearance came up for renewal and long story short they were declining it because of a judgement against me. So CID came to talk to me.

Turns out my husband at the time had gotten into an argument with our property manager who put a lien against ME not my husband and got a judgement in court against ME. WHich of course my husband had failed to tell me any of this including letters of notification, etc.

So I had to write a check to the property manager, talk with the judge, get court documents saying the judgement was lifted and submit that with my security paperwork.

In the end I kept my TS clearance as long as I needed it when it was all said and done.

So this is just to say, perhaps with a Secret level clearance you can get by with showing progress and intent to repair. With a TS, it might be dicier. You have to out and out correct the problem.

Old 02-27-2013, 05:07 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,741,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
So CID came to talk to me.
It was MI, NIS, OSI, DIS, DSS or DISCO. Never CID...

Old 02-27-2013, 06:11 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
^^^Maybe it was DSS. that sounds most familiar of those you stated. But I could be confusing this with SAEDA/OPSEC/etc

Old 02-28-2013, 05:19 AM

3,065 posts, read 8,895,302 times
^^^

Were you in the Marines? I've seen CID and NCIS assist with clearances. On recruiting duty these seemingly random people showed up to interview my applicants that seemed licensed/contracted

Old 02-28-2013, 11:03 AM

1,287 posts, read 3,818,189 times
I'll second GeorgiaTransplant's advice: be upfront and honest, let the chips fall where they may. Where there are issues identified the investigation is typically sent to an adjudicator where you'll have the opportunity to further address their concerns if needed.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues