Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2013, 07:33 PM

6 posts, read 29,716 times

Advertisements

I am interested in joining the military. I went through a foreclosure several years ago after my husband was laid off and couldn't find another job for well over a year. There is no outstanding balance from the foreclosure. Our credit reports show that the loan account is closed and that the balance is $0. From what I understand, security officers look into your financial history to see if you are under financial duress and therefore easily influenced by foreign interests to sell state secrets. Since the foreclosure was a one-time occurrence (credit history is otherwise pristine) and there is no outstanding balance due, would I be able to get a security clearance? Has anyone had a foreclosure and still received/maintained a security clearance?
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 07:36 PM

219 posts, read 542,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northerner916 View Post
I am interested in joining the military. I went through a foreclosure several years ago after my husband was laid off and couldn't find another job for well over a year. There is no outstanding balance from the foreclosure. Our credit reports show that the loan account is closed and that the balance is $0. From what I understand, security officers look into your financial history to see if you are under financial duress and therefore easily influenced by foreign interests to sell state secrets. Since the foreclosure was a one-time occurrence (credit history is otherwise pristine) and there is no outstanding balance due, would I be able to get a security clearance? Has anyone had a foreclosure and still received/maintained a security clearance?
wow, posting information like that regarding security clearance. Did you ever hear the expression "loose lips sink ships"? You disclosed way too much information asking the question..

That alone would influence me to not grant you a clearance. However to answer your question, no skeletons, no fear. Get it?

Old 02-22-2013, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersied View Post
wow, posting information like that regarding security clearance. Did you ever hear the expression "loose lips sink ships"? You disclosed way too much information asking the question..

That alone would influence me to not grant you a clearance. However to answer your question, no skeletons, no fear. Get it?
Given the current economic climate, it looks like it's a common question and there are a lot of articles about it.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:45 PM

BTW, that is literally everyone's story. You lost your job during the recession and then your home. This has an effect on security clearance to a point. Depending on the state you live in, you have an outstanding balance or you don't. Can someone shed some light on how this is handled?

Old 02-22-2013, 07:49 PM

455 posts, read 1,399,494 times
Quote:
I think your putting the cart before the horse. First you need too take the ASVAB your score helps determine a MOS. Your MOS determines if your in a field that gets a clearance. Don't assume everyone gets one because lots of military personal don't. With the downsizing the military isn't a sure thing like it was during the surge years. They can and do turn people away. Some branches more then others. Just talk to a recruiter and see what happens. And clearances aren't granted in a day. I had a interim till about a year after I got too my Unit.

Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtisc83 View Post
I think your putting the cart before the horse. First you need too take the ASVAB your score helps determine a MOS. Your MOS determines if your in a field that gets a clearance. Don't assume everyone gets one because lots of military personal don't. With the downsizing the military isn't a sure thing like it was during the surge years. They can and do turn people away. Some branches more then others. Just talk to a recruiter and see what happens. And clearances aren't granted in a day. I had a interim till about a year after I got to my Unit.
I am interested in pretty much all the branches; however, I don't know what type of job I would go for. I probably am getting ahead of myself but I heard that the smaller branches like USAF or the Coast Guard require everyone to get a security clearance. I don't want to waste anyone's time if I can't even get a clearance.

Old 02-22-2013, 08:10 PM

499 posts, read 2,157,824 times
Not every job in the military requires a security clearance. Some are very fulfilling---- for example, the medical field.

I can't speak for the other branches but at MEPS the Army has an individual who conducts security screenings. If nothing else, you can have a recruiter ask them. Certainly there are things can have you disqualified, and finances is one of them. I honestly don't know if a foreclosure is a high probability disqualification (I doubt it is). What will disqualify you? Lying on your application. Don't hide it-- or any derogatory information for that matter. There are plenty of people who do not have spotless life records that have security clearances.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:26 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,811,291 times
Everyone entering the U.S. Military has a background investigation conducted on them, fingerprints, security questions, etc. The foreclosure will show up in the BI.

Just keep marching and take the tests and talk to all the recruiters...

Old 02-22-2013, 09:27 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,811,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersied View Post

The question is valid and appropriate. It gets asked here frequently.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Poncho_NM; 02-22-2013 at 09:57 PM..

Old 02-23-2013, 05:14 AM

6,589 posts, read 7,100,470 times
Quote:

First before I answer this let me say to the security "loose lips poster" nothing here is classified. Her question is valid and well written. Let's not pass judgement ahead of the horse.

Next it is a case of the cart before the horse but still a question that needs to be answered. My answer is no. You will be able to get a clearance with a foreclosure in your background. What financial problems that cause it are lots of bills and no means to pay and creditors pounding at the door. It don't have to get that deep either but as someone here suggests that itself will not stop you from serving. The investigators look at the problems. Your problem won't even stop you from getting a TS. They are looking at security risks where a person could be at risk to take money for information or be blackmailed for bad conduct.

Join if you can and want. It is a great way to get out of a rut. I know. 1976 a judge tells me nicely that it would be good if I found something that would keep me from coming back to see him . Many years later I cannot say that it wasn't good advice. PS I still have my clearance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues