Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-05-2013, 11:23 PM

8,357 posts, read 25,242,922 times

Advertisements

Okay; so I am an older guy and basically, at my age, only am able to join the Coast Guard Reserve, the Navy Reserve, and the Air National Guard. I have narrowed it down to the Coast Guard and Navy, as they both have ratings I am interested in: MST (Marine Science Technician) for the Coast Guard, and, AG (Aerographers Mate [meteorology/oceanography]) for the Navy. I am leaning more towards the MST, but would be happy doing both.

I know that with the Coast Guard I can put in a request for a particular district/location, but in the end I would get sent to what ever unit is in most need if one is located in my district. However, I am a bit confused about the Navy. Doing research, I was under the impression that I would report to the nearest "drilling station" for my monthly drills, but would also become attached to a unit, and, I would have the ability to drill at anyone of the 300 or so stations across the U.S. But, what about my "home" unit? Will I become permanently attached to this unit? I briefly talked to a recruiter earlier today and he told me something along the lines of "yes, no, well some can do it.....depends on the needs of Navy...maybe".

Also, about drilling. I heard that Coast Guard reservists spend more time working alongside active duty Coasties during their drill weekends, but what about the Nay Reserves? What do they do during their drills?

And then...active duty/deployment. I know that eventually at least one deployment of some sort will come up with each, but what about frequency? How often can I request active duty? Honestly, my main concern is simply being bored. I have talked to a few Navy Reservists who had some pretty darn boring jobs...driving forklifts and other menial dock tasks.

If anyone has any experience with either, or just some other advice in general, I would greatly appreciate it.

Oh, and I have taken a few practice ASVAB tests, but none gave me any score. I did pass every time, I took one earlier today and got an 82% (not bad considering the advertised "average" score was 3X%). I pretty much bombed anything relating to diesel engines and only about half of the questions pertaining to general auto mechanics. I pretty much nail anything relating to math/science and reading/vocab/comprehension. I suppose that is a good thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues