Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2013, 10:36 PM

628 posts, read 1,389,229 times

Advertisements

Like the title says, I'm thinking about going into the Army since they seem to be ready to push me right through the door while the Air Force seems to keep throwing obstacles at me.

IF I do go into the Army, if I decide I want to be a say...Watercraft Operator, will I still be able to request and recieve SERE Training or any kind of extreme training even if I have no intention of actually BEING special forces?

What are the ASVAB scores needed to meet the requirements for these kinds of special training?

Also, what special forces positions will I be able to get into right out of basic?

I'm asking this here because my recuiter says I can request extra training even if I'm not going Green Beret or Ranger, but I don't know how much of what he says I can trust.

I'm a very independent fierce freedom-loving person, I crave variety, change, physical and mental improvement, challenges, and the opportunity to overcome anything without anyone's help.

That's why I hear about SERE Training and I think: "That sounds like it's for me!"

That's why I see challenges and training for various special forces on Making The Cut and I say: "That looks like FUN!"

Last edited by ColorsWolf; 07-23-2013 at 10:53 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2013, 04:50 AM

5,047 posts, read 6,345,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColorsWolf View Post
Like the title says, I'm thinking about going into the Army since they seem to be ready to push me right through the door while the Air Force seems to keep throwing obstacles at me.

IF I do go into the Army, if I decide I want to be a say...Watercraft Operator, will I still be able to request and recieve SERE Training or any kind of extreme training even if I have no intention of actually BEING special forces?

What are the ASVAB scores needed to meet the requirements for these kinds of special training?

Also, what special forces positions will I be able to get into right out of basic?

I'm asking this here because my recuiter says I can request extra training even if I'm not going Green Beret or Ranger, but I don't know how much of what he says I can trust.

I'm a very independent fierce freedom-loving person, I crave variety, change, physical and mental improvement, challenges, and the opportunity to overcome anything without anyone's help.

That's why I hear about SERE Training and I think: "That sounds like it's for me!"

That's why I see challenges and training for various special forces on Making The Cut and I say: "That looks like FUN!"
Look, I'm suffering cognitive dissonance reading your stuff. I don't think you actually know what you want, or are unwilling to do what is necessary to get what you verbalize you want. Let me address it:

First, SERE: typically Special Forces and Aviation. Any other MOS is a bit of a crapshoot, depends on the unit, and is unlikely. 'Extreme training' for non-operators is not really likely, and is frankly selfish on your part. That costs money and is given to the units and individuals who actually may need it. If you occupy one of those rare slots as say, a cook in a transport unit, you are not doing anybody a service but yourself.

Second, 'extra training': standard recruiter pitch. If it's not on your contract, it's not real, and depends on the needs of the Army and the unit-which is what you need to internalize. NEEDS OF THE ARMY, not needs of stroking your ego or 'love of adventure' (except you don't want to commit to the tough life). You may end up in an armored division struggling to buy repair parts and track shoes for their vehicles; they are not likely to send you to 'extreme training'. You may end up in a well-funded unit that sends you to a lot of cool-guy schools. The odds are not good.

Third, special forces: first, you ask what you can get out of Basic. Then, you say you're not going Green Beret or Ranger. Then, you say you want variety, change, physical and mental improvement, etc., etc. That's where your pitch is just not lining up.

If you want to be a special operator, (Army Special Operations Forces-Army SOF), be one. Enlist as an 18X (special forces candidate) or with unit-of-choice to the Ranger Regiment, or if you want to take a special operations-like approach, get some of the coolness, but not have to make as difficult/lengthy a selection pipeline, go for PSYOPs or Civil Affairs.

If you just want to associate with Army SOF, there are a variety of support soldiers in both the Regiment and 'vanilla' SF Groups-things like cooks, parachute riggers, supply guys, signal, chemical, etc. They do essential work to keep the teams and Battalions operating, but are not in any sense 'Special Forces'-they happen to be assigned to a special forces unit. There's a huge difference that junior enlisted often can't get through their heads. Again, no guarantee you'll get there or be able to stay there in this capacity. You may suck and find yourself across post at the Sustainment Brigade with an intra-post transfer the Brigade CSMs work out. It happens.

Old 07-24-2013, 10:41 AM

391 posts, read 1,029,879 times
Well stated Georgia.

Old 07-24-2013, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTransplant View Post
Look, I'm suffering cognitive dissonance reading your stuff. I don't think you actually know what you want, or are unwilling to do what is necessary to get what you verbalize you want. Let me address it:

First, SERE: typically Special Forces and Aviation. Any other MOS is a bit of a crapshoot, depends on the unit, and is unlikely. 'Extreme training' for non-operators is not really likely, and is frankly selfish on your part. That costs money and is given to the units and individuals who actually may need it. If you occupy one of those rare slots as say, a cook in a transport unit, you are not doing anybody a service but yourself.

Second, 'extra training': standard recruiter pitch. If it's not on your contract, it's not real, and depends on the needs of the Army and the unit-which is what you need to internalize. NEEDS OF THE ARMY, not needs of stroking your ego or 'love of adventure' (except you don't want to commit to the tough life). You may end up in an armored division struggling to buy repair parts and track shoes for their vehicles; they are not likely to send you to 'extreme training'. You may end up in a well-funded unit that sends you to a lot of cool-guy schools. The odds are not good.

Third, special forces: first, you ask what you can get out of Basic. Then, you say you're not going Green Beret or Ranger. Then, you say you want variety, change, physical and mental improvement, etc., etc. That's where your pitch is just not lining up.

If you want to be a special operator, (Army Special Operations Forces-Army SOF), be one. Enlist as an 18X (special forces candidate) or with unit-of-choice to the Ranger Regiment, or if you want to take a special operations-like approach, get some of the coolness, but not have to make as difficult/lengthy a selection pipeline, go for PSYOPs or Civil Affairs.

If you just want to associate with Army SOF, there are a variety of support soldiers in both the Regiment and 'vanilla' SF Groups-things like cooks, parachute riggers, supply guys, signal, chemical, etc. They do essential work to keep the teams and Battalions operating, but are not in any sense 'Special Forces'-they happen to be assigned to a special forces unit. There's a huge difference that junior enlisted often can't get through their heads. Again, no guarantee you'll get there or be able to stay there in this capacity. You may suck and find yourself across post at the Sustainment Brigade with an intra-post transfer the Brigade CSMs work out. It happens.
Thanks, answers all my questions except the ASVAB scores!

Thanks! ^_^

Old 07-24-2013, 06:46 PM

Does anyone know what focuses the most on Survival Training in the Army like a SERE Instructor in the Air Force?

My field I want to get into is Survival.

I had my heart set on SERE Instructor in the Air Force, but if I don't get into the Air Force I know the Army will take me but I don't want to wait 12 years to get into Survival.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:23 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,345,715 times
Quote:
Does anyone know what focuses the most on Survival Training in the Army like a SERE Instructor in the Air Force?

My field I want to get into is Survival.

I had my heart set on SERE Instructor in the Air Force, but if I don't get into the Air Force I know the Army will take me but I don't want to wait 12 years to get into Survival.
You have to be a SSG or higher to be an instructor at the Army SERE schools. That's about 6-10 years. No way around it. The Army doesn't throw raw Soldiers at it.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:33 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,793 times
Quote:
Thanks, answers all my questions except the ASVAB scores!

Thanks! ^_^
Ask your recruiter, look online, go to your local recruiting office and read the pamphlets available (the ones for the Navy my son read gives exact Asvab scores needed for the training he is interested in).

Old 07-25-2013, 04:03 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,123,810 times
Just stay home drink beer and watch those "Survival" shows. You could then go out and eat some bugs and stuff afterwards.

Old 07-25-2013, 11:24 AM

1,303 posts, read 1,896,290 times
Quote:

It seems YOU really want to be a SERE Instructor so why don't you just wait it out until the Air Force accepts you? I can't tell you too much about their requirements but one thing I know is they are more than likely give those schools to Airmen that it may benefit. Same as Army the MOS has to fit the bill, cause they're not gonna throw an enlisted desk jock that slot.

So if S.I. is what you want just suck it up and be prepared to serve at least a decade in either branch.
If you want to operate watercraft then why not try for the US Navy or US Coast Guard?

US Navy>>>Special Warfare Boat Operator (SB)

US Navy>>>Riverine success in Iraq shows need for naval quick-reaction force - News - Stripes

US Coast Guard>>>Coast Guard Special Operations | Deployable Operations Group

US Air Force>>> SURVIVAL, EVASION, RESISTANCE AND ESCAPE (SERE) - airforce.com

US Army>>> Watercraft Operator, Boat Operator Jobs (88K) | goarmy.com

Seee how EASY that was??? Now after reviewing those links ask yourself why would the Army send anyone in that MOS to SERE??? It's not impossible.....,BUT.

My suggestion..... You can choose the route I chose waaaay back when.
Tell the recruiter that you want MOS 19Delta (Cav Scout) with Basic Airborne in your contract and if possible to see if there's any spots in the 73rd Cavalry Regiment.

As a Cav Scout "TRUST ME" you'll learn SURVIVAL. You'll be a PT stud on jump status and you'll learn a great deal of land navigation, camouflage, concealment, enemy vehicle identification, etc.

You can't go wrong there son! Hooah... If you're up for a bigger challenge tell them you want Ranger School thrown in (They Can Do It) and you can attend after you're a seasoned scout in your unit and know a lot more about the Army. If survival is ALL you want then join a local survivalist group in your area.

Old 07-25-2013, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyJacc View Post
It seems YOU really want to be a SERE Instructor so why don't you just wait it out until the Air Force accepts you? I can't tell you too much about their requirements but one thing I know is they are more than likely give those schools to Airmen that it may benefit. Same as Army the MOS has to fit the bill, cause they're not gonna throw an enlisted desk jock that slot.

So if S.I. is what you want just suck it up and be prepared to serve at least a decade in either branch.
If you want to operate watercraft then why not try for the US Navy or US Coast Guard?

US Navy>>>Special Warfare Boat Operator (SB)

US Navy>>>Riverine success in Iraq shows need for naval quick-reaction force - News - Stripes

US Coast Guard>>>Coast Guard Special Operations | Deployable Operations Group

US Air Force>>> SURVIVAL, EVASION, RESISTANCE AND ESCAPE (SERE) - airforce.com

US Army>>> Watercraft Operator, Boat Operator Jobs (88K) | goarmy.com

Seee how EASY that was??? Now after reviewing those links ask yourself why would the Army send anyone in that MOS to SERE??? It's not impossible.....,BUT.

My suggestion..... You can choose the route I chose waaaay back when.
Tell the recruiter that you want MOS 19Delta (Cav Scout) with Basic Airborne in your contract and if possible to see if there's any spots in the 73rd Cavalry Regiment.

As a Cav Scout "TRUST ME" you'll learn SURVIVAL. You'll be a PT stud on jump status and you'll learn a great deal of land navigation, camouflage, concealment, enemy vehicle identification, etc.

You can't go wrong there son! Hooah... If you're up for a bigger challenge tell them you want Ranger School thrown in (They Can Do It) and you can attend after you're a seasoned scout in your unit and know a lot more about the Army. If survival is ALL you want then join a local survivalist group in your area.
Thanks so much everyone for all the replies and for everything! That answers everything, thanks!~ ^_^
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues