Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2013, 07:01 PM

98 posts, read 685,390 times

Advertisements

As the title implies, should I even bother to inform it at MEPS as these old scars are visible and incredibly minor issues?

In a nutshell, I got myself burned with 3rd degree burns 5 years ago
while my ex forgot to turn the stove off, kitchen got a bit burned and so
did I for turning into a near Heeman mode. These are 3 (1-inch) type of burns
that are visible and the rest are 6-10 small dots in one of my legs.

The other is a 2-inch scar do to a cut when I was 6-7 years old (24-25 years ago)
that required stitches by falling into a rock, no surgery required. Just stitches.

Should I spend my time hunting down these medical records. The law in my
country requires doctors/physicians to keep records for only 5 years minimum.
Also none of those situations has (or will) impede me from physical abilities, so in your opinion,
should I track down records that are 25+ years old? I know I won't be able to find this
25 years old record, so trying not to waste MEPS time, my recruiters time and get a future headache
on my end for not knowing what to do. Heck they might even send me to both DODMERB or MEPS
if I join as SMP if my research is correct.

Keeping my mouth shut might be logical here as these are visible scars and
any competent doctor could know what to do if in doubt at MEPS by doing X-rays on
my bones, among others, right? Not even sure if that's likely today with MEPS.
Do they just hold for more paperwork on my end or do they DQ you as they've 1,000's
of other recruits without likely seen issues like these. By my diligence MEPS
takes things to higher levels with everything as I read online and I am not even
sure if I'll have to do both DODMERB and MEPs if joining as SMP.

Since it varies by doctor, I am always thinking about the worst and ROTC
was shut down this entire week so I couldn't ask about this and probably won't be able to
so this week as well because of shutdown, so thoughts here?

Last edited by Joaco; 10-06-2013 at 07:19 PM.. Reason: quick edit
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2013, 07:31 PM

Default Secret Clearance, curiosity, how way back do they go?

Also, just for understanding the process if the above medical records
where on paper and not saved on a PC, how many years will
ARMY go way back? Like 10 years or so?

Simple stuff like the ones above presented go beyond 25+ years and
5+ years ago. If they were all archived and later trashed
will there be any evidence of this? If so where?

The more we know the better right

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2013, 07:49 PM

5,047 posts, read 6,345,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joaco View Post
ROTC was shut down this entire week so I couldn't ask about this and probably won't be able to so this week as well because of shutdown
Not all ROTC people will be gone. Uniformed service members will still be on duty.

Old 10-06-2013, 07:57 PM

Quote:
As the title implies, should I even bother to inform it at MEPS as these old scars are visible and incredibly minor issues?

In a nutshell, I got myself burned with 3rd degree burns 5 years ago
while my ex forgot to turn the stove off, kitchen got a bit burned and so
did I for turning into a near Heeman mode. These are 3 (1-inch) type of burns
that are visible and the rest are 6-10 small dots in one of my legs.

The other is a 2-inch scar do to a cut when I was 6-7 years old (24-25 years ago)
that required stitches by falling into a rock, no surgery required. Just stitches.

Should I spend my time hunting down these medical records. The law in my
country requires doctors/physicians to keep records for only 5 years minimum.
Also none of those situations has (or will) impede me from physical abilities, so in your opinion,
should I track down records that are 25+ years old? I know I won't be able to find this
25 years old record, so trying not to waste MEPS time, my recruiters time and get a future headache
on my end for not knowing what to do. Heck they might even send me to both DODMERB or MEPS
if I join as SMP if my research is correct.

Keeping my mouth shut might be logical here as these are visible scars and
any competent doctor could know what to do if in doubt at MEPS by doing X-rays on
my bones, among others, right? Not even sure if that's likely today with MEPS.
Do they just hold for more paperwork on my end or do they DQ you as they've 1,000's
of other recruits without likely seen issues like these. By my diligence MEPS
takes things to higher levels with everything as I read online and I am not even
sure if I'll have to do both DODMERB and MEPs if joining as SMP.

Since it varies by doctor, I am always thinking about the worst and ROTC
was shut down this entire week so I couldn't ask about this and probably won't be able to
so this week as well because of shutdown, so thoughts here?
Quote:
Also, just for understanding the process if the above medical records
where on paper and not saved on a PC, how many years will
ARMY go way back? Like 10 years or so?

Simple stuff like the ones above presented go beyond 25+ years and
5+ years ago. If they were all archived and later trashed
will there be any evidence of this? If so where?

The more we know the better right

Thanks!
By reading about fraudulent enlistment I'll mention the above at MEPS, only
thing it might do is just delay everything for months I guess. My recruiter
might probably say to forget it but better safe then sorry I guess.

I think medical records become a question at top secret clearance only, which
I am sure it'll be difficult to get for most of us so perhaps I should be fine.

Resource: I Cannot Tell a Lie -- False Statements on Military Recruiting Paperwork

Anyone else like to shine in on the above?

--------------

Quote:
Not all ROTC people will be gone. Uniformed service members will still be on duty.
Thanks GT.

Old 10-07-2013, 09:54 AM

37,452 posts, read 61,366,570 times
Medical records? No.

There is a form at MEPs where they want to list tats, moles, scars and identifying details. Just be honest, tell them about the scars and show them. The recruiter will type a short description of each scar. And your done. No big deal.

Old 10-07-2013, 01:22 PM

1,236 posts, read 3,116,068 times
An if there is a question about your military fitness, you will get a medical exam. If you are fit, no problem. If you may have a problem, you want to know now rather than later. Tell them the truth.

Old 10-08-2013, 07:35 PM

1 posts, read 13,628 times
Hello. Recruiter said tell MEPS i have no insurance. I am a military dependant. Won't MEPS be able to pull my records using my SSN?

Old 10-09-2013, 09:19 PM

6,046 posts, read 4,815,024 times
I think that you might find it as tough to get into an ROTC program as as it is to get into OCS.

Given the current economy both of those have become very competitive. You have obtained the very minimum requirements for these, yet both ROTC and OCS for all the services are looking at applicants who far exceed those minimums. I think that the acceptance rate for Army OCS is currently around 20%. I don't know about ROTC but it is likely trending toward that.

Maybe try the National Guard.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:31 AM

5 posts, read 26,578 times
i work for MEPs and any scar that is 2.5 cm or larger will need to be doccumented on your form. it will not need any records to go along with it. just simply how big it is and how you got it and that it does not affect you in anyway. these scars are good to note in the event (i pray no one meets) of death where the body cannot be identified. scars and tattoos can identify you in that case.

you can also google DODI JUL12 for basic intructions for medical enlistment.

Old 02-10-2014, 06:56 PM

1 posts, read 12,862 times
My son was DQ from MEPS in January for 1% over on body fat. Also had notes from MEPS doctor regarding medical records from tubes in his ears when he was six months old, RAD when he was in the second grade, (he is now a senior in high school), and from contracting stomach virus five years ago, resulting in the ER doctor sending him home with a laxative and to drink plenty of clear fluids. Recruiter told us as long as there were no complications or recurrences, he would not need any records from the doctor visits. He worked and got his body fat down to below qualifying. He returned to MEPS today, and passed the medical after being measured again. He then went to the Airborne medical and failed. The doctor that failed him was the same doctor who failed him the first time. When questioned regarding the one doctor passing him and the other doctor failing him, we were passed along to different people, who gave different reasons. The final say was a Coast Guard Colonel, who tried to brow beat his mother and I, interrupt us while asking questions, and continually tried to talk over us. She didn't take too well of someone calling her out on showing respect. Why don't recruiters and MEPS actually communicate with one another regarding qualifications and disqualifications? If the medical records cannot be located, and a notarized document stating such is provided, what then? Another trip to MEPS, only to be told a personal physician has to check him out? My son has been going through the process for about 8 months now, and it is painfully obvious there is no communication between the recruiters as far as what information is needed for MEPS, (full disclosure was given, hence the issues), and the specific requirements for enlistment. He is getting discouraged, and considering not joining. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues