Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2010, 05:53 PM

3,966 posts, read 10,706,340 times

Advertisements

Since my wife won't let me join any other branch of the military. Im going to try the national guard on her. What is it like exactly to serve a weekend or 2 weeks a year?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 05:59 PM

26,527 posts, read 51,811,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiphead View Post
Since my wife won't let me join any other branch of the military. Im going to try the national guard on her. What is it like exactly to serve a weekend or 2 weeks a year?
Guess it depends on what unit you are in:

YouTube - US National Guard OIF II /2004 - War Tapes documentary scenes (HQ) 01/02

Old 05-02-2010, 06:20 PM

That is pretty intense. Thanks for the video.

Old 05-02-2010, 07:05 PM

46,326 posts, read 27,162,639 times
Quote:
You really need to do some research.....

But what really disturbs me is that you are going to join the military...against your best friend/wife/significant others...advise...

This is a HUGE deal.........you do understand that if you are married..your other must have a ID card...

This is something the "other" will find out about....

Old 05-02-2010, 07:50 PM

Im researching it and then presenting it to my significant other, my wife. I am not going to go "surprise im in the service." That would be irrational. When I say "try the national guard on her," I mean research, look over the information, and present it to her.

I continually regret not joining the service because of the many things I would gain from the experience of severe discipline.

Old 05-02-2010, 09:22 PM

The National Guard of the United States is a reserve military force composed of state National Guard militia members or units under federally recognized active or inactive armed force service for the United States. The National Guard of the United States is a joint reserve component of the United States Army and the United States Air Force and maintains two subcomponents: the Army National Guard of the United States for the Army and the Air Force's Air National Guard of the United States.

You might read this page to get a better idea of what the Guard is about: National Guard of the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-02-2010, 11:23 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,037,802 times
The National Guard isn't 1 weekend a month and 2 weeks a year and hasn't been for years.

The National Guard is fully intigrated into our country's national defense and deploy accordingly.

OIF/OEF opened many eyes about the their necessity and value.

Old 05-03-2010, 12:22 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,041,837 times
The national guard have been deployed to the horrid middle east. You could be deployed as well. Think before you sign.

Old 05-03-2010, 10:04 AM

541 posts, read 2,139,601 times
One thing to take into consideration - because NG is not "active duty" so to speak, when they are called up for deployment, they are "mobilized" and generally have to go somewhere stateside to train first before deploying. Depending on their job, that training could potentially add MONTHS onto a yearlong deployment.

Also, I know several people who have gone NG and later decided they wanted to switch to Active Duty Army and were unable to get the NG to release them!

Perhaps your wife needs to talk to some military wives to get a good perspective on what it's like. Honestly, this life is not cut out for everybody, but my husband and I both love it (other than the seperations).

Good luck, whatever you decide!

Old 05-03-2010, 10:36 AM

Quote:
That is pretty intense. Thanks for the video.
Published : Thursday, 15 Apr 2010, 1:39 PM MDT
FORT BLISS, TEXAS (KRQE) - Family and friends gathered at Fort Bliss, Texas, Wednesday to welcome the New Mexico National Guard 720th Transportation Co. back from a yearlong deployment in Iraq.

Of 500 New Mexico men and women on combat tours with Guard units to Iraq and Afghanistan, another 230 are due to return to the state this spring.

Guard unit back from Iraq combat tour | Fort Bliss, Texas | KRQE News 13
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Military Life and Issues